Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a ducati 848 in need of some repairs (not running when I got it) got it to a point where I thought I could start it, new gas, fresh battery, so I turn the key on, nothing... I try a combo of clutch/kick stand and start button it makes the fuel pump run and a relay click, but doesn't turn the motor over (motor winds over with starter solenoid arced out) when I have the start button pushed the dash lights up and cycles through its routine but as soon as I let the button go the dash dies again, also my tail light is permanently on even with the key out, all fuses are ok and to the best of my knowledge so are all the other electrical components, has anyone experienced a fault like this before? any help is much appreciated, cheers

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

The key is to focus on the processes the bike follows to allow the starter to run.

It needs to have the kickstand UP and bike in Neutral. So I would insure both of those things look good before going any further. Also double check the little white cable that plugs into the solenoid.

Also, listen for the fuel pump. If you don't hear it, then the ignition system is NOT active.

I'd start there and let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so turns out im an egg and so is ducati for allowing this to happen, I had no front end on the bike when I got it, crashed off, had to splice the front half of a 2nd wiring loom, which went well, but on re assembly i incorrectly plugged the key switch into one of the handle bar switches, which both have the same plug and same distance, i grinned from ear to ear when i realised my mistake and that it started and ran fine, however i feel its a bit silly to have two plugs so close together in the loom that will fit each other, swapping one from male plug to female plug would prevent this from happening, i bet im not the first person to get these muddeled up after a crash rebuild, just glad i didn't fry my new dash or ECU! awesome sounding bike too! im a happy man

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Few!!! Simple fix. You'll see the plug issue all over the bike. However they are labeled almost all of the time. It's just the labels tend to fall off or be further down the cable then where the connector is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts