Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 848. Sat for about 2 weeks without riding due to heavy rainfall and when I tried to start it, it started briefly for a few seconds and then shut off. Have not been able to start it again since. It cranks but does not start, here's what I've tried so far:
Jumping the bike
Charging the battery with slow charger
replaced spark plugs
check fuses
check fuel pump for disconnected hose
sprayed carb cleaner in the air intake (this almost started the bike)

Makes me think it is a fuel supply problem. I heard some whirring sound when I turn the key which I think is the fuel pump so I think the pump works but not sure. Don't want to buy a new one if that's not the issue. Don't have a Ducati dealer near me otherwise I would just bring it in for service. Here is a video of the attempt at starting it if that helps.
Any help on what to do next would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a bad ground on the battery cable to frame or the cable corroded in the terminal clamp.
I also thought the battery would be the issue.. but I tried jumping it and that didn’t work. It did turn over a lot faster when I tried jumping it. But with the fact that adding a little starter fluid to the air intake starts to turn over makes me think it’s not an electrical problem. Just not sure how to diagnose from there.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
58 Posts
Like I said, the 60-100 bucks you give the dealer to pull the code is worth the effort. Then, if it's a sensor or say the fuel pump or plugged filter (you can hear the pump run right?) it's worth it as you can generally fix it yourself with a little help from YouTube videos....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, the 60-100 bucks you give the dealer to pull the code is worth the effort. Then, if it's a sensor or say the fuel pump or plugged filter (you can hear the pump run right?) it's worth it as you can generally fix it yourself with a little help from YouTube videos....
I would love to pay someone to diagnose this problem as the bike is worthless in the current state.. but like I said there is no Ducati dealer within hours of me so that is not an option.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
58 Posts
That could come in handy, although I don't have a check engine light on.. Would any codes still come up?
You'll have to disconnect the battery for 10 mins. Then try to start it again to generate the code. If memory serves, the check engine lite will also flash a certain pattern to indicate the fault as well. Not sure if it was on my 848 or another bike I owned that had that function. Suxs getting old! lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll have to disconnect the battery for 10 mins. Then try to start it again to generate the code. If memory serves, the check engine lite will also flash a certain pattern to indicate the fault as well. Not sure if it was on my 848 or another bike I owned that had that function. Suxs getting old! lol
I understand, I will give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
58 Posts
One other thing, I do remember that once I had to "reseat" the race ECU to fix a fault. With the battery disconnected as well. Pucker factor for sure but easily accomplished.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 08 848. Sat for about 2 weeks without riding due to heavy rainfall and when I tried to start it, it started briefly for a few seconds and then shut off. Have not been able to start it again since. It cranks but does not start, here's what I've tried so far:
Jumping the bike
replaced spark plugs
check fuses

Makes me think it is a fuel supply problem. I heard some whirring sound when I turn the key which I think is the fuel pump so I think the pump works but not sure. Don't want to buy a new one if that's not the issue. Don't have a Ducati dealer near me otherwise I would just bring it in for service. Here is a video of the attempt at starting it if that helps.
If the bike was actually in heavy rain it may be moisture around the ignition switch antenna, either give it a good blow out with compressed air or remove and dry it, maybe even a little heat from a hot air gun or hair dryer. Regarding the fuel pump, you should hear a few seconds of whirring and then it should stop, this is normal behaviour - just the fuel pump priming itself. If the noise continues you may have a split fuel hose inside the tank, you can check this assuming the tank isn't full to the brim by peering inside, if you see fuel squirting around it's quite likely this or the hose has come off.
Have you checked the battery voltage when it's sitting and whilst cranking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jumping the bike
replaced spark plugs
check fuses

you should probably drain the gas tank and make sure you don’t have any water laying in the bottom of the tank. The ethanol in gas these days is responsible for a lot of problems from cracked plastic fuel fittings to swelling plastic and fiberglass gas tanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
side stand switch or run / stop on handlebar, will both allow the bike to crank but not start. If you crack the throttle while it is cranking do you smell fuel? you should. If you smell fuel then your missing spark, check the interlocks, do you have quick shifter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My vote is rain got into the tank. I'm not sure what anything is called, but check to see if your rain drain tube is clogged.
-Pop the gas cap off, plug the hole in the rubber catch thing with your finger, and blow through the drain hole to see if it's clogged.
-If it is, go around to the right side of the bike and disconnect right below the Y joint and blow air backwards through the tubes while plugging the hole in the same rubber stopper thing. That should clear any blockage. (I use a bicycle pump with a pool float attachment)
-Drain tank, mix some HEET with fresh gas and burn through that tank as quickly as you can because alcohol is corrosive and you don't want that sitting around.
Please reply back if you found the issue/got it fixed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts