Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all!

I have a buddy that's wanting to sell me his 2008 848 for $6000. It has 22,xxx miles on it with a full Leo Vince titanium exhaust system.

I feel like its a great deal, but I just don't know what the maintenance would be like later on down the road. He did most of the major tune up, and the most recent one was done by the Ducati dealer. So as of right now there shouldn't be anything that's due any time soon. I know I can do oil changes and the easy stuff later if I end up getting the bike. But I just don't know if I would be able to spend a whole chunk of money if anything happens since the bike has a pretty high mileage.

Please let me know what y'all think!
Thanks in advance! :)

·
Banned
124 Posts
Ask to see the invoice/report from the dealer service. If there's no mention of any issues that require attention, I'd snap it up providing it's in great condition.

Did the 'major tune up' he did include replacing the cam belts and checking valve clearances? If not, put aside some money (around $1000) for that to be done. If those things were done and he can at least show you receipts for the belts (and valve shims if they were needed), I'd be buying it if you're in the market for a bike.

Having said that, if the belts have never been done I'd start to question what other aspects of the bike's maintenance have been neglected.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Give him 5,000 and spend the extra 1000 getting it correctly tuned up. 22,000 miles is pretty high, but if he took care of it it should be good

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, 22k miles is a lot. I've heard motorcycle motors last, on average, about 30k (certainly depends on many different factors)... is this is not the case, someone please correct me.

I've seen 2010 848 with 5k or less miles go for $10k... I'd spend the extra few grand to know you've got a bike for years.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pat1098 has run his superbikes over 100k, along with other more mileage intent members of this forum. The reason you don't see the high mileage bikes in the US is because here bikes are more often toys to be used sparingly, while in other countries they are sole transportation and daily drivers. Some of the wear issues are wives tales from older Ducati models passed down through the years and never truly dismissed as the bikes have become much more reliable and require less maintenance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
22k is high? My '11 (3 years newer) is at 20k and never had a problem. Get the bike! If your buddy can't show proof that service was done try and talk him down on price so that way you have some left over for the proper maintenance. You won't regret it if you get it!

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,047 Posts
Nearing 19k miles on my 2012, I guess it's time to get rid of her!

NEVER!

If the bike is clean, serviced I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Reactions: white_duc89

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
If you don't buy it you should post up your buddy's contact info because one of us will!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I feel like I'm just getting to know my 848 EVO after 3 years and 22,500 miles. I keep records for all of my services, at home oil changes, tire changes, etc. I typically keep all of my accessory receipts as well so I could even tell you exactly when they were put on the bike and how many miles are on them. If he has documentation that price is a steal!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just rolled over 61,000miles (97,600K) on my 2008 848. It was in for valves and belts last year and the Tech said things were looking fine in all departments. These bikes can do the distance if you give them regular oil changes and make sure the valves are adjusted when needed.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Just check the rearset tabs to see if they were bent/cracked paint, or after market (the OEM only has 1 mounting point) 22K miles is high but manageable as long as the maintenance are up like others said.
I had a guy who texted me about my bike and went out looking for a "cheap Ducati" by himself, he later sent me the pic of his new purchase of $7k (The bike only had 4k miles), I told him to send me the pic of the rearset tabs and no shit its paint were cracked at an odd angle. I told him the bad news of the bike might have had a tip over but was safe from laying down on its side.
Not saying your friend is shady, but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
keep looking

i picked up a 2009 ducati 848 that was dropped on left side small scrape on left fairing no big deal. made a plasti dip stripe and wahla got a clean titled ducati with 11,xxx miles for 5,500 twas a good day. deals are out there. Craigslist beware been screwed before (never buy a bike at night) but look long enough and you can find gold.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
i picked up a 2009 ducati 848 that was dropped on left side small scrape on left fairing no big deal. made a plasti dip stripe and wahla got a clean titled ducati with 11,xxx miles for 5,500 twas a good day. deals are out there. Craigslist beware been screwed before (never buy a bike at night) but look long enough and you can find gold.
So...You bought a "clean title" with a tip over for $5,500?
Did you check to see if the rearset tab on that left side was bent or not?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts