Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any help. I just bought an 09 1198 with just over 13,000 miles on it, Termi exhaust, race ecu and a bag of the original parts (exhaust, ecu, and exh sensors.) It sat for about a year and I am hoping that maybe it is just some bad gas in the system or something, but here are the problems I am having. The bike is hard starting, but I understand that is the nature of a high compression v-twin, the throttle response is erratic. Sometimes I give it a little and get nothing and then it pours on the power like an on off switch. between 4 and 7k rpm it will surge and sputter sometimes and then will just come to life. Compounding all this I am in Germany and have to pass a vehicle inspection to get my tags. It passed everything right up to the 95 db sound test where it cracked off 106db. I am going to have to put the factory pipes back on, but need to know if I also should put the original ecu and install the original sensors if that is even possible.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Willkommen im Forum!

Ich komme aus den USA, aber Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch verstehen! LOL :)

So yea, first step with a bike that's been sitting around is to flush the tank and replace the internal fuel filter. It actually goes bad very quickly with fuel sitting in the tank. Since the bike's been sitting, that's absolutely the first step.

Once you've got that all fixed and clean/new fuel, next step will be to take a look at the battery. Perhaps it's a bit weak, even though it can start the bike. Throw a voltage regulator on the battery and see what the voltage is when off and running.

You will need to put the stock ECU and exhaust back on the bike for inspection, the aftermarket exhaust won't pass the tests. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, I will give the fuel filter a shot. I am thinking I will pull the db killers out of the termoginis and pack some steel wool in and then reinsert the db killers to keep the wool from blowing out. The holes for the sensors are blocked off so will the factory ecu work without them hooked up?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ohh… yea you'll need to run those sensors for the stock ECU to work. Hmm… that's not good. Honestly the European bikes are slightly different then the US one's related to emissions. So perhaps you can run the Termi ECU with the stock pipes, just to get you through inspection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem fixed. I changed the plugs, (the front cylinder was fouled) Put $3 worth of steel wool in the termis and screwed in the silencer. Quieter than the stock exhaust and passed the test.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Nice good job! Though I wonder about that front cylinder plug… keep an eye on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.