Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello peeps, I have searched all over with Google and this forum and can't definitively find an answer as to which direction LOOSENS the Flywheel nut (Holding the stator/rotor assembly). I am trying to get the nut off with a 1/2 impact but it's not budging and I don't want to spin it the wrong way and ruin the end of the shaft. It looks to be counter clockwise tightening nut so one would think I should be trying to turn it CLOCKWISE to LOOSEN it... Just want to be sure! Also, do I need a special tool to get the flywheel off? Thanks! :p

*edit I have had the Starter sprag replaced once already on this bike and after several thousand more miles it leaves me stranded from time to time when I ride because it won't start. Lately it hasn't started at all and the starter seems to be binding. I have already removed the LEFT side cover and found that the BOLT holding the starter gear is broken and it looks like I'll have to use an EZ OUT to get the rest of the bolt out of the case.... GULP.. but maybe this is why the starter wouldn't turn over after a few cranks. Hopefully the starter sprag clutch assembly is still OK. I'm thinking about putting a lighter flywheel in while I have it torn down.... I found info on here saying 900-950 grams is the best fit for the 1198....Suggestions?

· Registered
6,810 Posts
Hello peeps, I have searched all over with Google and this forum and can't definitively find an answer as to which direction LOOSENS the Flywheel nut (Holding the stator/rotor assembly). I am trying to get the nut off with a 1/2 impact but it's not budging and I don't want to spin it the wrong way and ruin the end of the shaft. It looks to be counter clockwise tightening nut so one would think I should be trying to turn it CLOCKWISE to LOOSEN it... Just want to be sure! Also, do I need a special tool to get the flywheel off? Thanks! :p
Just answered this on the other thread.

It is a conventional thread - that is, you want to rotate it anti-clockwise to loosen it.

Just as a general approach - left-handed threads are only employed very rarely (unless you drive an old Dodge truck, which had left-hand threads on the left-side wheels only...!).

If you look at which direction the flywheel rotates in function, ie, the same direction as the bike's wheels, there is no risk of it being brought undone spinning in that direction.

Older Ducati motors used to run 'backwards', but left-handed threads are rarely used nowadays. The need for them tends to be designed out in modern vehicles.

· Registered
529 Posts
Hey Pat, I was waiting for some one with more expertise to weigh in.

I had my 09' 848 flywheel off last year, and was pretty sure I used the adage, 'righty tighty--lefty loosey.' I didn't have an impact wrench, so I took it to the dealer where they used an impact wrench (at no charge), with ease to remove the nut.

Also, do I need a special tool to get the flywheel off? Thanks! :p
There is a factory special tool (see attached pic--this is the newer version of the tool for our bikes). From my recollection, this tool is not needed for removal if using an impact wrench, but when you re-install the flywheel it is needed. The 09' 848's flywheel nut requires 330 Nm of torque (yours is probably the same or more), and therefore the tool is needed. If you buy one from Ducati it's about USD 150. I believe there are a limited variety of aftermarket ones available. Some people build their own.

You might also read about some people who use a penny to jam up one of the gears in order to get the leverage needed to torque the nut down, but I would avoid this method (I ended up purchasing the tool from Ducati of Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com). If you don't want to make this sort of purchase, you might be able to rent the tool from www.ducatitoolrental.com for much less money.

Good luck!

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the input... I got impatient and posted in another thread... sorry about that.. LOL... I've already found a broken bolt (that holds the starter gear to the case), so now I have to use an easy out to get that bolt out... Might be the cause of my hard starts or "no starts and the battery dies"... because it doesn't let the starter gear engage reliably with the starter pinion gear... I have a 1/2" Impact (I own a shop) but I'll definitely have to look into the flywheel tool. I've read on several threads that you can lock the clutch side as well?? Is this a suitable alternative?

*edit* spelling error... LOL

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the nut off of there!! Whew, even with an 800 ft/lb twin hammer 1/2" impact it took a while to come off... awesome! So, I pulled the starter cuz the teeth are kinda bent in some areas... The sprag clutch looks ok?? Should I replace the sprag clutch since I'm in here, just for good measure? Still have to get the broken bolt out... :BoomSmilie_anim:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, on to the broken bolt... Finally got it out with A LOT of patience and luck using a #2 easy out and a heat gun. Attached picture showing where it broke behind the starter gear. Also attached pics of my starter pinion gear...which is badly worn and bent slightly. :wtf:

Attachments

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I have been - and still am - going through various issues, this being one of them. Benefit from my nightmare.

First, that bolt snapped for a reason. Check carefully the area of the crankcase where the starter gear mounting post is anchored. When mine broke in the same spot as yours, the post was able to wallow an oblong hole in the crankcase. Unfortunately I didn't catch it until the second bolt broke shortly after the repair. I got a spacer made and welded in, so hopefully all is good with the case.

But before you bolt her back up, do this: get the updated versions of the case cover as well as the starter gear. Look at the pictures. The older case and starter gear shaft did not have the provisions allowing them to be married within each other. The updated design allows support from both sides of the starter gear shaft, one from the crankcase and the other from the case cover. I found these parts off an almost new 848 EVO.

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HOLY COW! I can't believe it's a common issue... I actually thought I broke it when I was trying to get the flywheel off... LOL...

...wonder if that was the problem when my sprag clutch went out the first time and I brought it to the dealer to have it fixed? They never mentioned it to me...

I appreciate the input Joeii ... good stuff! Does the 848 EVO case and new starter gear and gear shaft drop into the 1198 case or do I have to mod / adjust something?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, if the starter gear shaft hole isn't wallowed out, should I still replace the cover and starter gear?

How long was it before the 2nd bolt broke on the starter gear shaft in your bike?

Did you replace it with a Ducati part or just a suitable substitute?

I'm just trying to save a little $$$, cuz I just spent a TON n of cash on a bunch of "other" parts and tools to fix this problem... :bawling:

· Registered
1,020 Posts
You don't need to, but there is a reason why the design was updated...

The second grade 8 bolt broke after only a few starts, that's when it was for sure there was a problem.

You can find good deals on barely used parts all over eBay. I have also worked with Gotham Cycles many times and have had great experiences every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.