Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya ya, I know, a ton of these threads, but since I never had an issue with my 1198 before I never paid attention....

Here's the scenario : Yesterday, almost 100 degrees F, I ride home from work. About 6 miles. Traffic is normal, but I see bike gets up to 221 degrees. Never saw it that high before. As I'm pulling into my driveway, bike stalls. The driveway is at an incline so I try to restart and ride up the remaining 30 feet. At first the starter clicks, but I get zero cranking. I try again, zilch. This time the dash goes out...clock resets once dash illuminates. Bike will not even engage the starter. When I turn key on, dash would not light up. I push it into the garage and figure I'll try later...maybe it's just overheated. A few hours go by and I try again. Same deal...no starter engage, dash shuts off.

Then this morning before I head to work I give it a try. Fires right up...twice. I leave it in the garage, don't want to trust it...

So....battery? Electrical something?

What else could it be???

·
Registered
360 Posts
Same thing happened to my 1098s a week ago at the track.

Dash started flickering, I pitted out... examined bike... gave it a nice full fist of throttle. in the high RPM range the dash starts flickering again and then it goes blank...:blind:

I turned the bike off... try to turn it back on. NO GO. No clicking, no dash, no ignition. I can hear FP priming and headlights come on. :kaioken:

The godamn battery has 13.5Volts so spare me the (check the battery comments):stickpoke

I'm troubleshooting it right now. I scanned it and it had a bukkake of error codes. So I deem the damn ECU as the culprit. Ordered a new one from another cool member. Waiting on the mail....

Only other suspects at this point are:

Relay by the dashboard (gotta take off the head fairing off to access it)

Voltage regulator (Dealer replaced about a year ago)

Actual Dashboard kicking the bucket (Highly doubt it)

Some other weird relay or electrical bug...

Either way... Highly annoyed by the damn thing:mad:.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Start with the battery, fuses, and earth connection ..

·
Registered
360 Posts
So if the lights turn on, I have 13.5 volts stationary and the fuel pump is priming...

Yet no Dash...

You still think it may be a bad battery? (Shorai)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VR? Of course that is just a wild ass guess...
I also thought this. But like I said above, it seems these 1098's and 1198's have a lot of starting problems, it's just I never have before so I kinda ignored those threads. But there being a bunch of no start instances, I figured I'd ask if anyone had these exact same symptoms and could pin point the fault.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I also thought this. But like I said above, it seems these 1098's and 1198's have a lot of starting problems, it's just I never have before so I kinda ignored those threads. But there being a bunch of no start instances, I figured I'd ask if anyone had these exact same symptoms and could pin point the fault.
I've seen VRs cook batteries to the point that they are just paper weights.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Then this morning before I head to work I give it a try. Fires right up...twice. I leave it in the garage, don't want to trust it...

So....battery? Electrical something?

What else could it be???

Curious to know if you put the bike on a battery tender overnight? If so, I suspect it's the VR. My 1198 had the exactly same scenario, high temps, shut down, no dash illum., will not engage starter. Mine didn't even make a sound when you turned the ignition on.

If you charged the battery overnight than everything would seem normal until you started to drawdown the battery because its not being charged by the VR.

If you didn't charge it than I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ok my 2cents… i have had occasional trouble with a start when the bike's hot. not always tho. and since i'm an idiot, is there a thermal lock out of any sort when temp is above 220-230?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The bikes have junk battery cables. Upgrade them. I bought a battery cable kit and I never have these problems anymore. Starts everytime. The small diameter wire gets hot and draws power from the battery so when cranking the battery quits. It will continue to do that when hot until the battery finally dies.
Loosing lights and dash could have something to do with the voltage regulator also. I had to replace mine because headlights kept cutting out and so did the dash while riding.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Quick update.

So far for my own bike I've verified the following by disassembling the nose fairing, battery box tray and headlight assembly.

Not guilty:

Battery
ECU
Fuses
Main fuse (next to battery)
Relay underneath the Dashboard.
Main ground cables.
HID

Possible suspects:

Voltage regulator (In theory it should start but not charge the battery, right)

Ground or connections near the tail section or DDA causing a short or not grounding the circuit (disassembling tomorrow)

Actual Dashboard (I checked the harness that connects to the dash on the back. Only one pin is getting power - Not sure that is normal)

Weird items if interest:

I have headlights, I have tailight and license plate light.
I hear the fuel pump humming
I don't see the servo going back and forth.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Possible suspects:

Voltage regulator (In theory it should start but not charge the battery, right)
Not necessarily. If you can get it to fire, but a volt meter on it. You should see 14.1-14.2'ish V if it is functioning properly.
It could be voltage spiking, or not giving the correct voltage, or doing nothing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not necessarily. If you can get it to fire, but a volt meter on it. You should see 14.1-14.2'ish V if it is functioning properly.
It could be voltage spiking, or not giving the correct voltage, or doing nothing.
That the thing. It doesn't even start or see the dash...

Where. You click the ignition button the bike doesn't do ANYTHING at all...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had a similar issue with my 10' 1198s. Riding home in slow traffic, stalled it, went to restart and nada, nothing not even the dash. Got it home checked static battery voltage, +12.5. Put it on the charger for an hour still nada. Finally had to disconnect and reconnect battery and it came to life. Seems the dash or ECU locks if the voltage drops below a critical value. The only way to reset it is to disconnect the battery. Turns out the battery was getting weak. High temps coupled with weak battery and crappy cables caused the vbatt voltage at the ecu or dash to drop below the critical voltage and locks up the ECU. I tested this several time with the weak battery and easily duplicated the problem.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I can't replicate the issue, but I have not gotten it very hot since this happened.

It starts right up every time....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good for you. But I bet you don't trust it to take it on a long riding trip he he he.

Mine is still down...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.