Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok can someone help me out here, I'm have 2 new batteries, both are saying 12.3 on "batt" volt indicator on bike, go to start and nothing.. I've noticed the screen flashing then going completely out. Is this due to the battery? Rectifier gone bad? Stator gone bad? I recently added a 15 led lights to the bike and a USB port, could these be causing issues? Can anyone suggest a stronger battery than one below? Product Magenta Ink Material property Technology

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I go to 15 or 20 will that hurt the bike? Main concern is, when I disconnect led light kit and USB there's no issues starting, just want to make sure if I spend the $ for another battery I won't have the same issue.. Someone suggest a riding mower battery for the cold
crank start up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Amoney1978:
Did you charge your new batteries after you filled them with electrolyte? A new battery, fully charged, should be holding closer to 12.9 to 13.1 volts. I replace my battery when it gives voltage readings of 12.2 volts after it has been fully charged. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
when I disconnect led light kit and USB there's no issues starting
This says a lot right there. You need a bigger battery but those LED's and USB shouldn't be drawing that much and if they are, it's going to tax your charging system. Might want to think about removing them. The Ducati Superbikes were meant to be raced and ridden fast, not have a lot of extra electrical draws on it.

Either the YTX14 or Shorai LFX18 will help the start up but the stator and reg/rec might not like the draw you're putting on things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The led and USB are wire to a toggle switch with a remote to turn on power to them.. Bike fired up at 12.7 then once running was at 14.3-14.7

·
Registered
12,936 Posts
Sounds like your charging system is working fine as is your battery. I'm confused as to what the issue is then?? You said the battery was reading 12.3 and wouldn't start but then you said if you disconnect the LED's and USB it starts but you also said the LED's and such are on a switch and now you're saying the battery reads 12.7 and bike starts up??

It's possible something was drawing while you originally had the LED's connected and in disconnecting, you rectified the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts