Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil leaks started a couple months ago. I'd been noticing a small leak under the bike when I parked it overnight. I ride pretty hard mostly higher revs in second and third gear. First impression was that I'd likely overfilled with oil. I usually run a little more oil than factory spec because of riding wheelies so the engine isn't starved of oil when I'm vertical.

I've drained the excess oil so that the viewing window shows oil on the lower line. The electrical connector that plugs into the oil level indiator (about two inches above the oil viewing window) is leaking oil now. WTF?

I cleaned the bike and took the air intake box off and oil was inside the air box. The air filter had motor oil on one side.
Of course no other signs of issues (no lights and the bike runs strong) there is NO smoking exhaust.

Any Duc mechanics that have seen this before?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ive always been told it is really bad for your engine to overfill it with oil...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ive always been told it is really bad for your engine to overfill it with oil...

Yep, I have heard the same and ditto for automobile engines. From memory, the Duc owners manual warns about oil overfilling.

The OP overfills with oil to compensate for oil stavation for wheelies, so where does the oil go when the bike is horizontal? Obviously in places where it is not supposed to. I am assuming the bike is ridden horizontally at some stage-LOL

The science behind overfilling with oil for the purposes of wheeling eludes me :confused: as does taking the time and effort nutting out oil levels for the purpose of wheeling a Ducati.

What concerns me most, is why I have taken the time to engage in this post.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Wheelies and Ducati's do not mix well.

Fill your bike with the correct amount of oil.

Filling it with more oil does nothing on the good end. You have an oil pump for a reason.

The thing you need to be concerned with is extended wheelies. The oil in your air box and air filter is because of the oil being puked into the air box by the motor; which is what happens when the Testaretta is used in a manner it was not designed for (wheelies), for an extended time.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The oil in the airbox probably relates to the overfilling (not a good idea, as others have said, and liable to promote leaks) or to sustained high revs. Or both.
It may be worth checking the reed valve in your engine breather - I had one fail early on, resulting in quite a bit of oil leaking around the black breather housing (rear of crankcase).
The oil pressure switch is not dear to replace. It too may have failed due to the increased pressure stemming from the combination of overfilling and high revs.
But the use you describe of this bike is a bit crazy. The virtues of a Ducati are mainly in the mid-range power, and the nice handling.
Revving the hell out of it doing wheelies in lower gears is just not what they're for, and anathema to most on here..
Not for us to judge what you do with your own bike, but I think you might have the wrong brand for the job.
:confused:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Correcto on the oil pressure switch. I have seen many fail and start leaking oil. I had one fail during a race last year, oil pressure light came on the dash,.. on the second to last lap, I said fuck-it, as I was in second and passed the leader on the last lap. I plugged off the hole, and threw away the sensor,... permanent fix!!! I notice the newer models have the switch in-line with the oil cooler.

Bob Ramsbottom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the comments and advice.
In the world of Japanese inline 4's, adding a little more oil is quite common when doing wheelies. I ride aggressively and so I am concerned about the oil pump not getting enough oil to the engine when the bike is up.
The bikes torque and high revs are part of the DNA of the Duc. Driving the bike hard isn't (shouldn't be) an issue. They are pure race bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts