Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10' 848 & sometimes I experience the foot clutch lever not go into gear all the way and feels like the gears grind as you would in a car... Would a upgraded shift leakage help with solid shifts or would it be something internal?

I'd like my gear shifting to feel solid +/-
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sounds like your shift mechanism might be mis-aligned. This happened to me a few times on my 09' 848. If you have the right tools and are comfortable doing your own maintenance it's a pretty easy fix. You should be able to find a few threads here that cover the problem in greater detail.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Flush/bleed your clutch fluid first. It is a regular maintenance item, and if neglected will affect your gearchange.

For clarity, your clutch lever is the LH handlebar lever, and the LH foot pedal is the gear change lever.

If you aren't confident to bleed your own clutch fluid, your service shop shouldn't charge much to do just this.

It's worth replacing your clutch fluid as soon as it discolours. I use a light-coloured Dot 4 fluid (Castrol Response) so it is obvious when it is dirty.

In road use the clutch fluid usually needs replacing more often than your brake fluid, but this changes in track use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone else for the advice I will take everything into consideration! I love riding my duc & this gear shift thing is making me not want to ride it

·
Registered
528 Posts
I also installed a Factory Pro Shift Kit, here's a link to my How To video on this forum: http://www.ducati.org/forums/how-tos/57350-how-factory-pro-shift-kit-installation.html

I would recommend taking Pat's advice first though, (do a good bleed of the system), if the problem persist look in to the shift mechanism issue. Does your 'grinding' noise occur only when you shift in to 1st gear?

After you get the 'problem' sorted, the Factory Pro is a good upgrade.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! Wish someone SoCal could help since i have never done this before! But it's weird . It seems like it goes into neutral sometime when either shifting down or into 2nd gear & if I try to put it into gear it just sound all bad like a lot of grinding -_- :( in order for that not to happen I would have to completely stop and re/ put it into gear but other then that it shifts fine on the highway etc..

I did notice today my clutch fluid is really dark .'so I will be changing that asap

I also installed a Factory Pro Shift Kit, here's a link to my How To video on this forum: http://www.ducati.org/forums/how-tos/57350-how-factory-pro-shift-kit-installation.html

I would recommend taking Pat's advice first though, (do a good bleed of the system), if the problem persist look in to the shift mechanism issue. Does your 'grinding' noise occur only when you shift in to 1st gear?

After you get the 'problem' sorted, the Factory Pro is a good upgrade.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Thank you! Wish someone SoCal could help since i have never done this before! But it's weird . It seems like it goes into neutral sometime when either shifting down or into 2nd gear & if I try to put it into gear it just sound all bad like a lot of grinding -_- :( in order for that not to happen I would have to completely stop and re/ put it into gear but other then that it shifts fine on the highway etc..

I did notice today my clutch fluid is really dark .'so I will be changing that asap
You don't need the clutch to shift the bike. So if your having issues shifting, it may have very little to do with the clutch.

I find on the "linked" bikes, the linkage gets sticky and you can't push/pull the lever hard enough to get it into gear.

So yes, suck out that old hydraulic fluid using a mightyvac and bleed new fluid through the system. It may help a bit, but I'd also take a real hard look at the shifter lever itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts