Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend whilst riding my new 1198 I heard a bang and a horrible clunking sound started coming from the engine. I immediately stopped and asked my local shop to pick me up. It appears that one of the con rod bearings has blown, taking with it one head, crank, some of the gear box. Thankfully the bike is still in warranty, and although I'm missing my first track day of the year today, I'm confident that Ducati will be do everything to get the engine repaired and rebuilt - hopefully in time for my next track day in April!.

The question is, has anyone heard of this happening before? The bike is a 2011 1198, it's exactly 1 year old, has been properly serviced and looked after and has 3,000 miles on the clock. Please let me know.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ouch, so sorry man. These bikes do tend to grenade once in a while. Mine came loose due to a crank bearing. It took out pretty much everything except the heads and the shift drum.

Now the bad news: It took my dealer one year to fix it. There were 5 separate parts back orders. But Ducati did stand behind the product. Based upon my experience, I wouldn't expect to see your bike back together for quite a long while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Elevens, thank for the reply. I've heard similar stories about parts availability, and that's definitely my worry. And having only put 80 miles on it since buying it from Ducati a couple of weeks ago (It had been one of their staff bikes), I'm hoping they might pull out the stops. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Staff bike = thrashed bike.
The bike may never be the same again. I would be insisting on a replacement engine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
2nd BrissieDUCs post. I'd push for a new engine as well. It's not fair that you'd have to wait that long. As long as Ducati stands behind their warranty, NP. But I wouldn't give them the leash to allow even a 2 month delay. Riding season is rapidly coming upon most of us so I'd say shove that repair/replacement into overdrive.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I wouldn't push for a new engine. These motors really benefit from a tear down and proper reassembly. Coming from the factory, they are too tight and this is why they seize up and the bearings fail. You'll be ahead if the shop does the rebuild, then have them put it together on the loose side of the clearance range at the big end.

Have the shop call Mark Sutton at the DucShop. He knows more about this than anyone.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Once in a while something gives in a sensitive place on any mechanical device. It's just statistics. Just like any other part on your bike, if 1 in one million fails, you've got lottery winning luck today. It sucks that it happened to you, but it was under warranty and you performed your services as required so you will be covered.

Now, as far as a speedy repair or replacement, you should look up lemon laws for your state if you have any. in california its a total of 30 days out of service or a major safety issue that gets you a new bike or a full refund of the value of your vehicle from the occurance of the first complaint. Since an engine failure on a motorcycle can cause you to wreck and in some ways it is also a structural part of your bike, if it takes 30 days to repair you've got an open a shut case in california. since your bike is new, you may be able just to trade it straight out. One of the reasons these bike cost so much, or any vehicle for that matter, is the build in the cost of warranty repairs over the product line. some bikes have no problems, some bikes get a full replacement, or some bikes get so many repairs it would have been cheaper to replace the bike on day one.

Also with many manufacturers, it cheapest for them to send a new motor that got assembled in a factory in about ten minutes, rather than pay a shop to rebuild one. The repair method is at the descresion of Ducati, so you don't really have an option on that part.

I hope this gave you some usefull info.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You are probably correct about statistical failure rates and the cost of new bikes being high as a result of warranty issues. That leaves no doubt as to why a new Ducati superbike costs $25,000US, compared to $13,000US for a Hondakawayamasuki.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
You are probably correct about statistical failure rates and the cost of new bikes being high as a result of warranty issues. That leaves no doubt as to why a new Ducati superbike costs $25,000US, compared to $13,000US for a Hondakawayamasuki.
It's mostly because Ducati has to profit from selling roughly 35,000 motorcycles a year, not several hundred thousand bikes plus cars, jetskis, lawnmowers, trombones, etc.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
It's mostly because Ducati has to profit from selling roughly 35,000 motorcycles a year, not several hundred thousand bikes plus cars, jetskis, lawnmowers, trombones, etc.
If you flip that around, it's actually kind of sad really.. by paying more for these bikes we're in fact encouraging the Italian work ethic. :nutkick:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't push for a new engine. These motors really benefit from a tear down and proper reassembly. Coming from the factory, they are too tight and this is why they seize up and the bearings fail. You'll be ahead if the shop does the rebuild, then have them put it together on the loose side of the clearance range at the big end.

Have the shop call Mark Sutton at the DucShop. He knows more about this than anyone.
That is only the better bet if you have a near you that well know for top quality work most dealers are not. In the case of not having a great dealer then opt. for the engine if you can.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
That is only the better bet if you have a near you that well know for top quality work most dealers are not. In the case of not having a great dealer then opt. for the engine if you can.
Would you like to go back and edit this post so I can understand what it is you are trying to say?
;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Last weekend whilst riding my new 1198 I heard a bang and a horrible clunking sound started coming from the engine.....

.......The bike is a 2011 1198, it's exactly 1 year old, has been properly serviced and looked after and has 3,000 miles on the clock. Please let me know.
Where are you located?

If anywhere near Yorktown Virginia, my local Ducati/Aprillia dealer, Redline Performance Motorsports, can have the engine out and apart in a day, under warranty. Are you interested?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts