Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an 2011 Ducati 848 EVO, and i'm curious to know performance specs, fuel economy etc. If you have any experience/knowledge, please give me an advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
230km with full tank ... but the light starts at around 200km to blink and that drives me crazy so I never really reached the limit with a full tank :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
does anyone really know the full tank capacity of the 848? I swear after my low fuel light goes on, I ride another 20 miles and I still can only put 3 gallons. Not even close to the 4.2 or (4 + gallons) it's suppose to have?

what's the reserve capacity? I'm always afraid to go more than 20-30 miles as soon as the reserve kicks in.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
330K to a tank.......but I got a big tank. The stock tank is 15L and the light is not accurate. The manual says there should only be 3.5L when the light comes on but it's not accurate. There's generally more.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I can get 100 miles on a tank on the freeway and then the light comes on. I am clueless about the tank size because unless I intend to splash gas all over the top of my tank I can't get more than 3.5 gallons in her.

·
Registered
418 Posts
"4.095G/15.5L capacity tank, 1.05/4L reserve included. 3.04G from full to Reserve", and I'm not playing with .005 Gallons. That's out of the '12's manual and get darn close to that in the logs. I find it hard to believe, but something may have changed with the latest tank?

From full to reserve light I'm right at 100-105miles and takes 3 gallons to fill it back up, time and time again. Puts me right at 33mpg if I'm not wringing it's neck. I also use only Shell 91oct and maybe a couple Mobile stops where in there out of necessity. Mostly highway and never hit 6th gear or ride under 6K rpm.

Speaking of which, the current mileage I've pushed it on the reserve recently was 27 miles which is darn close to 7 miles to being dry and on the side of the road. I wouldn't suggest finding out how much is "actually" in the reserves though as it can light, go out, light again, repeat, as you corner. I just log anything that happens and feel very confident that a gallon in the tank once the reserve light hits.

But, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
340 Posts
my mileage on 08 1098 has been way off, any idea why? i have a full competition arrow exhaust since before november but it just recently started doing 65 miles to the tank. i was getting 110-120 miles to the tank before the reserve light came on. i also use shell 91 octane and mainly on the highway easy riding. i have gotten 20 miles on reserve but it isnt consostent. it also has a very strong fuel smell when idle at traffic light. could a very dirty air box cause this? i am about to check that. coukd it need some thorttle body adjusting? computer mapping? new air filters? in any case why all of a sudden such a drastic decrease? maybe new belts would help? i have 6700miles. thank you

·
Banned
578 Posts
Sounds like it isnt going into closed Loop to me. Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and try running in around to see if you still smell the unburt fuel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For my 2011 848 evo I have the same experience as many on here. Yellow light comes on at around 100 miles, then I go another 20-25 max before I get nervous and fill up. Usually can get about 3 gallons in the tank. My last fill up I was at 49 mpg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From full to reserve light I'm right at 100-105miles and takes 3 gallons to fill it back up, time and time again. Puts me right at 33mpg if I'm not wringing it's neck. I also use only Shell 91oct and maybe a couple Mobile stops where in there out of necessity. Mostly highway and never hit 6th gear or ride under 6K rpm.
33 mpg seems pretty low to me. Any particular reason you never cruise in 6th?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I got 105 miles on my first tank when the light came on and put 2.7 gal in it. After that I was doing about 120 miles before I'd hit a station and put 2.4 in it. I was stopping before the light came after the first tank because I was on a highway with big gaps between stations. First tank was moderate city driving, after that it was freeway in sixth at 4.5-5k

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Daniel999R;

I've gotten up to 63 mpg, but it was all highway & not trying to twist it on either. Commonly given figures for real world rear wheel hp usually go between 115 & 120.

900F

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. But, if i i drive about 100km with average road speed of 60-80km/h, how much fuel will be wasted? It is hard question i know. :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm looking to buy an 2011 Ducati 848 EVO, and i'm curious to know performance specs, fuel economy etc. If you have any experience/knowledge, please give me an advice.
All the specs can be found on ducati.com. Interested why you're worried about fuel economy on superbike? I've never really kept track of my mpg but when my light comes on it almost always takes ~3 gallons. Once I rode the reserve to 32 miles and it still only took 3.5 gallons.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You won't be worried about fuel economy once you get on this thing and ride!!!

I reset my trip every time I fill. Once I hit 200km's I hunt for a gas station. At about 210 or 220km's the light usually comes on (depends how hard I was on er).

Can't rely on that light tho, its not terribly accurate. Also, I don't think you want to find out how much you can run on reserve....haha Would suck to run out of fuel and be on the side of the road!

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Thank you for all the information, but one simple question; How much bhp and torque does it actually output ?
On a dyno I was putting out 121hp and 68ftlbs of torque. No fuel helpers just a pair of Graves slip-ons and a good cam timing at my first valve check.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts