Ducati.org forum banner

2011 Ducati 848 Evo possible timing issue

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Kalibaba 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I changed the timing belts on my 2011 848 Evo. It starts fine but when I put it in gear it revs but doesn’t move much. I m guessing I messed up on lining up the slots on the cams. I have attached some photos for your input as to if I messed it up. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design
Automotive lighting Motorcycle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
Cam timing, however you did it, has to be in time I would think. That is one section of the bike is a single spinning output shaft.

Then there is a gear from crank to gear to trans. So with engine running, goes nowhere, it's not cam timing per say.

Dead engine; back wheel off the ground; hand shift to top gear, buy moving the back wheel forward and reverse by hand shifting the trans to top gear.

Move the back wheel and begin to turn the engine in top gear. Can you do it? Now, pull the clutch lever in and hold it down with a rubber band, zip-tie, and the break the back tire loose off of the clutch assembly, by slamming the wheel up and down. Eventually the wheel should spin free or drag a little, but could spin a 360° with lever pulled.

#10 ·
Cam timing, however you did it, has to be in time I would think. That is one section of the bike is a single spinning output shaft.

Then there is a gear from crank to gear to trans. So with engine running, goes nowhere, it's not cam timing per say.

Dead engine; back wheel off the ground; hand shift to top gear, buy moving the back wheel forward and reverse by hand shifting the trans to top gear.

Move the back wheel and begin to turn the engine in top gear. Can you do it? Now, pull the clutch lever in and hold it down with a rubber band, zip-tie, and the break the back tire loose off of the clutch assembly, by slamming the wheel up and down. Eventually the wheel should spin free or drag a little, but could spin a 360° with lever pulled.

I purchased the bike late last year. It had been sitting for a better part of 3 years.

Work I have done:

• Front and rear brake flush
  • Brake pads changed
  • Spark plugs
  • Clutch fluid flush
  • Timing belts
  • New gas
  • New oil
  • I also upgraded the regulator to a mosfet one

BOTT I tried what you suggested and the following happened.

I was able to cycle through the gears by hand by moving the back wheel back and forth. I put it in top gear and spun the rear wheel with the clutch lever pulled in and the rear wheel spins but does have some resistance. I tried that in all the other gears and found that there is a lot more resistance in the lower gears especially in 1st and 2nd with the clutch lever pulled in.

I m guessing some of the clutch plates might be stuck together after sitting for so long? Also when I picked up the bike the clutch lever was not held by a zip tie or anything to relieve pressure on the clutch pack.

I have check all the cables and what not and everything is plugged in.

#8 ·
The photos were taken at horizontal tdc. Using the mark on the case and pulley.

stefan_1: The photos you posted are of a 848 or 1098. The 848 Evo has different cam timing. At horizontal tdc the slots on the cams are supposed to face toward the cam cover on both cylinders.

#9 ·
This is correct - 848 & 1098 are the same as photos @stefan_1 posted, 848 EVO & 1198 the T 's point to 12 o'clock on the vertical cylinder and 3 o'clock on the horizontal.
That said everything looks fine to me, have you double checked any wiring connectors that were disconnected? And check your fuel lines, make sure they aren't being pinched somewhere whenh the tank is lowered.
Did you do any other work when the bike was apart?

#11 ·
baba, by doing a static shift, it says the linkage can shift thru the gears up and back, and it shows the clutch is not frozen from sitting. So for the clutch not to shift or whatever problems about shifting, is now let the clutch out, in gear, spin the wheel, feel the drag, release clutch slowly and feel the back wheel being to lockup.

Statically it shows:
1. Linkage is good.
2.Clutch plates break away.
3. Lever feed does not hang up.
4. Drag is normal.
5. No plate is stuck to either side or it would not spin freely.

Frictions spin with engine, steels spin with wheel. Nothing can hang up if wheel can spin in gear.

Make sense?

#13 ·
Well I think I figured out my problem. I took the clutch cover off and found that the first drive plate was out of place and twisted.

Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Engineering

This is what the plate looks like after I took the pressure plate off.

Textile Sleeve Wood Tints and shades Pattern

would this plate still be useable? The rest of the clutch looks good and not much wear.

I replaced my levers with aftermarket short ones. I also replaced the clutch slave with an Oberon. I believe the slave and levers are pushing the pressure plate out too far and caused this to happen. Anyone got a possible fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.