Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 848 EVO Rear Shock Suspension Rod Dent :(

Hey guys! what's up? I have a 2012 848EVO with 2024k. I bought a heavy duty chain from Home Depot and placed it inside my book bag. Took my bike out to see my girlfriend and for some reason, the bike was so slow with the obvious weight on. As I got off the bike, I checked the suspension rod that connects from the top to the shock and I see that the rod is slightly bent to the side.

Is it possible that I can fix it using the necessary tools needed?

Please help!!!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Honestly, there is nothing that can cause the suspension linkage to be damaged due to the weight of a chain. You'd have to show us a picture of your problem to fully grasp what's going on. The chain's weight would be inconsequential in the motorcycles performance. A full fuel tank vs an empty fuel tank is more then a heavy duty chain would weigh anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!

Honestly, there is nothing that can cause the suspension linkage to be damaged due to the weight of a chain. You'd have to show us a picture of your problem to fully grasp what's going on. The chain's weight would be inconsequential in the motorcycles performance. A full fuel tank vs an empty fuel tank is more then a heavy duty chain would weigh anyway.
Here are the pictures...As I was riding back, I didn't feel that much power from the bike at all this morning. It was kinda of shaking in between turns to so I had so slow down. Is it possible that I can adjust the rod back to its normal position?

Thanks for replying!

Attachments

·
Court Jester
11,824 Posts
I'm 200 lbs, my wife (I can't say) adds a the very least another 100 lbs, no way your heavy chain bent anything. I think it looks fine...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 200 lbs, my wife (I can't say) adds a the very least another 100 lbs, no way your heavy chain bent anything. I think it looks fine...
I should've never had that chain in my book bag or maybe it's just me over analyzing. I think that suspension had has to stay straight up not on a bend? I think but I'm going to swing by my Ducati dealership and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nothing wrong with your link it moves on the eyes at each hand just grab it with your hand if u want and put it straight but nothing is wrong with it

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm not seeing a bend. And I'm with tchase that I'm 200lbs and have and a 100lbs rider for long rides on shitty roads. If it makes you feel better I have my old one you can have or buy aN adjustable one. They're not to expensive.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I should've never had that chain in my book bag or maybe it's just me over analyzing. I think that suspension had has to stay straight up not on a bend? I think but I'm going to swing by my Ducati dealership and see what they say about it.
Its totally fine. The bearings at the top and bottom of the link are balls which allow the link to rotate left and right. Its completely normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its totally fine. The bearings at the top and bottom of the link are balls which allow the link to rotate left and right. Its completely normal.
Thanks for the input everyone. The mechanic said the same thing also! The balls turn once you lean on a curve but I was just being protective of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Ok, I was joking about the fat girlfriend part...

But, I think you're way too fuckin nervous. Just ride the bike man. It's a very strong machine, you really can't hurt it. Remember to countersteer and look way ahead of you....

You'll be fine :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I was joking about the fat girlfriend part...

But, I think you're way too fuckin nervous. Just ride the bike man. It's a very strong machine, you really can't hurt it. Remember to countersteer and look way ahead of you....

You'll be fine :)
Thank you. I appreciate the reply but I'm just to nerve racked about whats wrong with it, that's all.

And no my gf is not fat, lol.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
You are definitely worrying too much. (I mean about the suspension linkage, not your girlfriend's girth..)!

The bearings at each end of the linkage are known variously as Heim joints, or rose joints. They are designed to work at a range of angles.

They are just a larger version of those on your gearchange linkage. Roll that between your fingers and their function should become obvious.

Glad you love your Ducati. And welcome.

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts