Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Guys!

I have a 2013 1199 Panigale S Tricolore stored in my dad's shed. After coming home from work in this frigid weather in New York, I decided to turn on the bike so that the battery doesn't die out on me later on in the upcoming months. As it was warming up, I noticed oil leaking from the bottom!!! I then immediately turned off the bike. I really don't know what this could be?!

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Check out the post from the guy doing the lemon Law on his Pani. He had several leaks. Will give you areas to check out on yours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good Evening Guys!

I have a 2013 1199 Panigale S Tricolore stored in my dad's shed. After coming home from work in this frigid weather in New York, I decided to turn on the bike so that the battery doesn't die out on me later on in the upcoming months. As it was warming up, I noticed oil leaking from the bottom!!! I then immediately turned off the bike. I really don't know what this could be?!

Well, hopefully its not anything like mine was.

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1199-panigale/62167-my-ducati-nightmare-2013-1199-panigale-lemon-law.html

I would suggest giving a call to your dealer. Is the motorcycle still under a factory warranty?

The dealer will repair it under warranty.

Please do me a favor and start a folder on this bike. If this is the first problem you've had, I hope it is the last, once its repaired. Take pictures of exactly where the oil leak is coming from. When you take it to the dealer, ask them to take a picture for you of specifically where it is coming from.

ALSO - start writing down on a piece of the paper the times and dates that you called and to whom you spoke.

If this turns into a bigger deal you want to make sure you have your ducs in a row.

If you want anymore advice or suggestions let me know.

Also, do you keep your bikes on battery tenders when not in use?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1199-p...i-nightmare-2013-1199-panigale-lemon-law.html

I would suggest giving a call to your dealer. Is the motorcycle still under a factory warranty?

Please do me a favor and start a folder on this bike. If this is the first problem you've had, I hope it is the last, once its repaired. Take pictures of exactly where the oil leak is coming from. When you take it to the dealer, ask them to take a picture for you of specifically where it is coming from.

ALSO - start writing down on a piece of the paper the times and dates that you called and to whom you spoke.

If this turns into a bigger deal you want to make sure you have your ducs in a row.

First of all, I would like to say thank you very much for replying, I gladly appreciate it.

Coming home from work, I decided to turn on the bikes in my dad's shed so that the battery doesn't die out on me, but unfortunately, I did not have a battery tender hooked up.

As I turned on the pani, it took a few cranks to turn on everything seemed fine to me but as I was waiting for the bike to warm up, I notice that the oil started to leak out of no where.

The bike is under warranty until November of this year (thank god).

I couldn't take pictures as to where the oil was leaking from because its a small shed that I used to store my bikes in. Also, the EVO was in the way too.

I will call my dealership tomorrow in the morning and inquire about this problem. This is my second bike that I bought from the same dealership, from GoldCoast Motorsports here in New Hyde Park, NY.

I will for sure take a folder and notate the times, dates, and the people with who I speak in regards to this problem. This is my first time experiecing this and would like this to be my last. Hopefully, the dealership won't change out my engine with a new one but if it takes to fix the problem so then be it.

I will keep you updated with the issue at hand! Again, thank you very much!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
First of all, I would like to say thank you very much for replying, I gladly appreciate it.

Coming home from work, I decided to turn on the bikes in my dad's shed so that the battery doesn't die out on me, but unfortunately, I did not have a battery tender hooked up.

As I turned on the pani, it took a few cranks to turn on everything seemed fine to me but as I was waiting for the bike to warm up, I notice that the oil started to leak out of no where.

The bike is under warranty until November of this year (thank god).

I couldn't take pictures as to where the oil was leaking from because its a small shed that I used to store my bikes in. Also, the EVO was in the way too.

I will call my dealership tomorrow in the morning and inquire about this problem. This is my second bike that I bought from the same dealership, from GoldCoast Motorsports here in New Hyde Park, NY.

I will for sure take a folder and notate the times, dates, and the people with who I speak in regards to this problem. This is my first time experiecing this and would like this to be my last. Hopefully, the dealership won't change out my engine with a new one but if it takes to fix the problem so then be it.

I will keep you updated with the issue at hand! Again, thank you very much!
Why would they change the engine for a oil leak ? That's all it is isn't it ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

http://www.ducati.org/forums/1199-p...i-nightmare-2013-1199-panigale-lemon-law.html

On 1/8/15 - I checked to see if the bikes were ok. Started the engine on the pain and everything seemed fine. While waiting for the bike to warm up, I notice oil leak from underneath the bike. Will call Ducati of Gold Coast to inquire about this problem.

1/9/15 - called Ducati of Gold Coast at 10:10 am and spoke to service manager John. He said that the problem could be from oil filter drain plug and doesn't really know what the problem could be. Told me to email pics at [email protected]

1/9/15- called Juan at 12:33 pm from gold coast Motorsports. He stated that it could be from condensation in the exhaust or maybe the actual oil. He gave me a number to call road side assistance 800-234-1353 and gave me a second number 844-245-3869

1/9/15 called the 844 12:44 pm number that Juan gave to me and spoke to a guy named Matt from cycle tow pro. Told him the story and gave him the vin number and the model year of the bike. He wanted to see if I was covered under warranty and wanted to call Ducati and see. After a few moments later, Matt called me to call Ducati towing company at number at (800) 234-1353

At 12: 54 Matt called me from his perisnal phone from a 516 number to communicate with me more better in regards to this matter and to schedule a meet. And told me also to call Ducati towing company.

At 12:57 I called Ducati towing company and spoke a guy named Kevin who Matt mentioned to me earlier. Gave Kevin the details of the bike and what is going on along with the confirmation of my vin numbers and my address. After a few moments, he told me that everything was a go and that the bike was under warranty.

At 1:11 I called Matt to confirm that everything wasp is to go but he was on the other line with Ducati towing company and that he would call me back

At 1:14 pm Matt called me to confirm that everything was set and that he will be on his way but I explained to him that I was not home with the bie at the time and that I was working. I coordinated a meet with him and said that I would be home around 3:15 est time and aso I left work early at 2pm

At 2 pm I left work and took public transportation home

At 3:21 pm today I came home with Matt waiting for me and we towed the bike together

At 3:49 we arrived at the dealership

Juan is taking me up and writing up the ticket order to have the necessary paper work ready and will call me next week in regards to this.

At 4:01pm I left the dealership.

Please excuse my grammar. I was writing all the notes on my IPhone on the go and didn't have the chance to edit!

Juan says that it could be from condensation! He also says that if that's the issue that I may be held liable for the bill.

What do you think? I think that may be the issue though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Juan says that it could be from condensation! He also says that if that's the issue that I may be held liable for the bill.

What do you think? I think that may be the issue though.
Don't freak out. Remain calm. You're not going to be held liable for anything, unless you aren't disclosing anymore of the story to us. If OIL is dripping from the bike, there is a problem.

Juan brings up a good point - who has done the oil changes on the bike? Have you removed any of the paneling or worked on the bike?

Keep documenting this like this. Did you get pictures? Call them and specifically say that you want pictures of where the oil leak is coming from. There are literally dozens of things that could cause that leak. You need this for documentation should this be a bigger deal.

I'm not sure how the discussion went when you spoke with them. But try to remain calm, dont get upset yet. Stick to the facts. "This is what happened, this is how it happened, etc."

Best case scenario, the oil drain plug or filter wasn't torqued right and caused a small drip. They could wipe the oil off, put everything back together and say you now owe them because they say it was water and not oil. Or maybe it really is jsut water? Condensation is not oil. They look, smell and taste completely different. Dont take this the wrong way - can you please explain how you know it was oil? When i see spots on my garage floor, I stick my finger in it, eye ball it, rub fingers together to check viscosity and lubricity, and smell it. Depending on what it smells like I might taste it :wtf:

Also, its my opinion, you need to be using a battery tender on both bikes during the types of weather and time you go without riding them. Simply starting them and letting them idle for 5-10 minutes is good, but they most definitely need to be hooked up to battery tenders. ALSO - what kind of weather do you guys have? For extreme cases, they should probably be covered in old blankets and tarps. I know it sounds weird, but you really dont want the rubbers and metals getting cold and shrinking and then expanding when you idle them for 5-10 minutes (depending on temp.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't freak out. Remain calm. You're not going to be held liable for anything, unless you aren't disclosing anymore of the story to us. If OIL is dripping from the bike, there is a problem.

Juan brings up a good point - who has done the oil changes on the bike? Have you removed any of the paneling or worked on the bike?

Keep documenting this like this. Did you get pictures? Call them and specifically say that you want pictures of where the oil leak is coming from. There are literally dozens of things that could cause that leak. You need this for documentation should this be a bigger deal.

I'm not sure how the discussion went when you spoke with them. But try to remain calm, dont get upset yet. Stick to the facts. "This is what happened, this is how it happened, etc."

Best case scenario, the oil drain plug or filter wasn't torqued right and caused a small drip. They could wipe the oil off, put everything back together and say you now owe them because they say it was water and not oil. Or maybe it really is jsut water? Condensation is not oil. They look, smell and taste completely different. Dont take this the wrong way - can you please explain how you know it was oil? When i see spots on my garage floor, I stick my finger in it, eye ball it, rub fingers together to check viscosity and lubricity, and smell it. Depending on what it smells like I might taste it :wtf:

Also, its my opinion, you need to be using a battery tender on both bikes during the types of weather and time you go without riding them. Simply starting them and letting them idle for 5-10 minutes is good, but they most definitely need to be hooked up to battery tenders. ALSO - what kind of weather do you guys have? For extreme cases, they should probably be covered in old blankets and tarps. I know it sounds weird, but you really dont want the rubbers and metals getting cold and shrinking and then expanding when you idle them for 5-10 minutes (depending on temp.)
It has to be oil because while it was running, it was a heavy dark black color and when the the towing guy came, I opened the shed door to see that the liquid was a clear substance. I could be wrong but I would say that it is but correct me if I'm wrong.

This is my whole story. If you would want to know the way I turned on my bike when I came home Thursday night from work, I placed the key in the ignition switch, flipped the kill switch, pulled in the clutch and turned it on. Maybe the clutch fluid leaked? Could be but I wouldn't know for a fact.

I haven't done anything to the bike in terms of removing panels, screws, or bolts whatsoever. Juan is a customer service rep who works at the dealership. Although from the experience that I have with him for the past 2 years, I am not sure if he has any motorcycle repair experience.

I am just going to have to wait until the outcome later this week. I won't mind giving him a call today and checking to see how the bike is doing. I haven't hooked up my tender to the either bikes because I would need a really long extension cord and to drill a large hole to my dad's shed in order to do this!

Hopefully with what your best case scenario that you describe that that could be it. I didn't test out the oil in terms of how thick or thin it was by swiping my right index finger across (which I should've done).

I am just going to pull out my evo today here in New York as the weather is cold, hook up the EVO to the beltran battery tender. I really don't have a old blankets for the bikes but do have covers.

But the weather in New York is horrible. We had snow for the past two days, on Tuesday and Wednesday I believe.

The pics I am going to upload shortly!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It has to be oil because while it was running, it was a heavy dark black color
The oil should be green. If its black, theres something going on. Too many things to guess, but could be dirty water created from the condensation.

This is my whole story. If you would want to know the way I turned on my bike when I came home Thursday night from work, I placed the key in the ignition switch, flipped the kill switch, pulled in the clutch and turned it on. Maybe the clutch fluid leaked? Could be but I wouldn't know for a fact.
Im on your side in this. I wasn't insinuating you didnt know what you were doing. I just wanted to know more details. Im one of those people that will ask specific questions and want specific and detailed answers. Its tough to diagnose what the substance was unless one of us is there in the shop.

Some things that have been said, regarding replacing the engine, not using battery tender, storage of the bikes - has me raising an eyebrow.

I haven't done anything to the bike in terms of removing panels, screws, or bolts whatsoever. Juan is a customer service rep who works at the dealership. Although from the experience that I have with him for the past 2 years, I am not sure if he has any motorcycle repair experience.
In dealerships, you will find a mix of knowledgeable people, absolute fucking morons and people in between. Juan is just doing his job, and if he is a customer service rep., hes probably a middle man and just relaying a message. I doubt hes offering up a mechanical opinion.

I am just going to have to wait until the outcome later this week. I won't mind giving him a call today and checking to see how the bike is doing. I haven't hooked up my tender to the either bikes because I would need a really long extension cord and to drill a large hole to my dad's shed in order to do this!
I was under the impression this entire time that is WAS an oil leak. Not the possibly of it being condensation. Sorry, my responses were directly in response to the oil leak. Let us know what they find out. Im definitely curious.

Keep us updated. Definitely curious how this plays out. Nice bikes btw. Is your 848 a track bike?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This looks like old oil to me. Not a fresh oil leak. If there was a pool of oil on the floor in the shop, there would be a pronounced trail of oil underneath the bike.

That said, it is possible that the trail of oil (evidence,) is under a panel and the "drip" would be harder to see.

That bit of oil residue (or road tar?) could be from the last oil change.

Its really hard to tell, and no point in speculating until the dealership tells us what it is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The oil should be green. If its black, theres something going on. Too many things to guess, but could be dirty water created from the condensation.

Im on your side in this. I wasn't insinuating you didnt know what you were doing. I just wanted to know more details. Im one of those people that will ask specific questions and want specific and detailed answers. Its tough to diagnose what the substance was unless one of us is there in the shop.

Some things that have been said, regarding replacing the engine, not using battery tender, storage of the bikes - has me raising an eyebrow.

In dealerships, you will find a mix of knowledgeable people, absolute fucking morons and people in between. Juan is just doing his job, and if he is a customer service rep., hes probably a middle man and just relaying a message. I doubt hes offering up a mechanical opinion.

I was under the impression this entire time that is WAS an oil leak. Not the possibly of it being condensation. Sorry, my responses were directly in response to the oil leak. Let us know what they find out. Im definitely curious.

Keep us updated. Definitely curious how this plays out. Nice bikes btw. Is your 848 a track bike?
I just realy hope that it's just water because to me it kinda sounds correct, especially when your warming up your bike compared to the cold here in NYC.

Well, when I came home on yesterday to see it still sitting there the oil just seeped into the floor panel and the wood panel was visible through the substance! I would say it was just water that was built up but who knows.

I'm going to hook up the evo right now on a tender and have it inside my house in a nice warm temperature. I just can't stand this weather right now.

But I will keep you updated next week in regards to this issue. Again, hopefully its nothing crazy that I don't want to hear. I just dont want to be stuck with paying a hefty service bill!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This looks like old oil to me. Not a fresh oil leak. If there was a pool of oil on the floor in the shop, there would be a pronounced trail of oil underneath the bike.

That said, it is possible that the trail of oil (evidence,) is under a panel and the "drip" would be harder to see.

That bit of oil residue (or road tar?) could be from the last oil change.

Its really hard to tell, and no point in speculating until the dealership tells us what it is.
Yes your right about the oil! The picture insidates the reside of oil just below the exahust. It has to be water that seeped throuhh an O ring, that's my guess.

Yes it is hard to figure and to speculate!

But the EVO is not a track bike although I would like to go out to one!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pure speculation, but just for giggles I have a guess. I think the oily residue under the engine is just from previous oil changes.

The "starting and running it for 5-10 minutes" is a sure way to build up moisture in the exhaust system (and crankcase) and get your valves and exhaust nice and "sooty" as well.

I think when you started it, the exhaust pressure blew some water (which was blackened by the carbon in the exhaust pipes) out through the gaps in the exhaust.

Just my guess (for fun). You'll find out the real answer soon enough!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pure speculation, but just for giggles I have a guess. I think the oily residue under the engine is just from previous oil changes.

The "starting and running it for 5-10 minutes" is a sure way to build up moisture in the exhaust system (and crankcase) and get your valves and exhaust nice and "sooty" as well.

I think when you started it, the exhaust pressure blew some water (which was blackened by the carbon in the exhaust pipes) out through the gaps in the exhaust.

Just my guess (for fun). You'll find out the real answer soon enough!
Haha thanks for joining in the conversation! But that would have to be the only common thing that we all can think of! But I appreciate your feedback!

When updates come, I will post them !

·
Registered
648 Posts
Oh, I thought you were worried about it being an o-ring or something. Just trying to put your mind at rest.

Don't start that thing unless you're gonna go for a ride.

You could always pull the battery out and take it inside during these long, cold winters, if you have no way to put a tender on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know where you get your oil but the last time I checked fresh four-stroke oil has a color ranging from yellow-ish brown to amber to "tea color". With increasing distance, the oil gets a darker color due to the buildup of carbon deposits, and, if you have a wet clutch, the friction material that wears of the friction plates.

The only green oil I've ever seen is two stroke oil.

Green fluid = usually coolant.

At low temperatures, materials shrink at a different rate because of different thermal expansion coefficients. It is thus entirely possible that a leak opens up where two dissimilar materials meet (aluminium/steel/rubber, etc), or, for example, when a rubber hose shrinks faster than the steel clamp which is holding it in place. I used to have a Honda CB400 that worked as a very good thermometer: if the ambient temperature was below 4.5 C it would leak coolant from a specific location :)

Running the engine at low ambient temperature is not recommended, unless you intend to ride, of course. For example, the combustion process generates water vapor that will condense in the cylinder head and exhaust and silencer. This water is quite acidic due to the other combustion products and if left in the exhaust may create weak spots (e.g. causing holes in the silencer, a typical problem of cars in cold, wet climates). Also, when the engine is cold the clearance between cylinder and piston in relatively large, giving a large blow-by, which pollutes the oil with water vapor and other combustion products. Under normal circumstances if you drive the bike, the oil will warm up and all that nasty stuff will evaporate (that's why you have crank case ventilation with a filter!). But if you just leave it idling for a while the oil does not get warm enough and all the nasty stuff stays in the oil. This is not good for the rubber parts, bearings etc which are in contact with the oil.

In other words, if you prepare for the winter season, drive the bike one last time over a good large distance so that the exhaust system is dry; replace the oil; remove battery or install drip charger; put plastic bags over the tailpipe(s) and the air intakes.

If you drive only very short distances in very cold weather, the engine oil will turn into what is knows as "motor mayonnaise", an emulgated sludge mixture of water and oil. Moral of this story: do not drive your bike in the cold unless you drive enough to get all parts up to operating temperature. If you "circle the parking lot" every week to "condition" everything you are doing more damage than if you just leave the bike as it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.