Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tell you dealer to start by resetting tps, O2 sensor and BAS and if they don't know how to fix your bike they can always contact DNA, the answer "we don't know how to fix it" is not acceptable specially if the bike is under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Totally agree.

Rode again tonight and it stopped happening. I know these ECU's are finicky at time, based on what I've read, and I'm hoping something managed to reset itself. Anyway, I've already got a call into the dealer. Will ride tomorrow and see what happens. Dealer is going to get back to me tomorrow as well.

This bike blows me away. I absolutely love it.

"you using the whole fist, doc?"

Fletch - 1985

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep. I bought mine in Apr 2013 and now have 2,400mi and it still is stalling as I go thru the downshifts (and splitting traffic in CA). Have brought it to Bev Hills Ducati twice and they've not been able to diagnose nor fix the problem. I head back again tomorrow and am really at wit's end to have this problem fixed. So far, nothing but the sound of crickets chirping from Ducati N.America.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wondering if your dealer was able to properly fix yours and if so, what did they do so I can tell my dealer? Thanks and ride safe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Gary, it's in the shop right now with only 300 miles on it. They told me the computer was spitting out an error code, which they've removed now. Whatever that means. They also told me there is a very recent recall (service bulletin) on one of the parts. I'll be talking to the head service guy tomorrow and will get you more specifics.

I did get to ride a hyper on the track yesterday and it was all smiles for me. ImageUploadedByDucati.org Forum1399258730.638240.jpg

You using the whole fist, doc?

Fletch- 1985

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to resolve the stalling issue by removing the charcoal canister on my SP. Only reason I went this way was the Panigale was doing the same thing until its removal as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2014 hyper SP and have started to experience some frustrating problems. The bike was superb up until 1800mi then it just didn't want to start. The screen flashes with each engine crank, which seem slow and sluggish, but it does start. Occasionally its like it runs out of juice and stops completely for a second then starts to crank again. Seems almost like the battery is low but that isn't it(keep reading). Also at stoplights the bike will slowly idle up to 2k. I can blimp the throttle and it will return down to 1200-ish then start to climb back up to 2k. I haven't experienced any problems with stalling during downshifting which seems to plague other bikes.

I took it into the dealer I bought the bike from where they kept it for a week and a half and eventually the owner of the dealership authorized them to open a crate hyper and start to swap parts. From what they told me the main stuff they replaced was the ECU(no effect, problems persisted) and the Throttle bodies, which they claimed where the culprit. They called me with the good news and I picked the bike up. It started right up in the morning and was fine, I rode the 20miles to work and all was well. After work the bike didn't want to start again, the idling problems were back. Worse still is when I got home the bike wouldn't restart and it sounds quite ragged now at idle. The bike now idles between 1.2 - 2k back and forth quite quickly and its just all over the place. Frustratingly I called the dealer back the next morning and told them my problems but with weekend is a holiday so I have to wait additional time before they can pick the bike up and keep it for god knows how long.

So after reading about some of the other problems people are having, has anyone experienced any of this? It almost sounds like it might be some kind of kinked hose like the other posts which is tricking the computer and messing up the throttle. Maybe when they change the throttle bodies they released some pressure or something and thats why it appeared to start up great until I rode it again? I'll test this tomorrow as I can't start the bike without waking up half the neighborhood. Any hints/solutions would be great if anyone has fixed these problems. The dealership doesn't have a clue what the culprit is and I'm scared of how long the bike is going to be gone if they take it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That blows, man. My ECU was flashed twice now, once for the initial recall and another for the Termi exhaust. My riding buddy is picking up his SP Monday and I hope he doesn't have issues like that!

Sounds like your dealer is working for you though, so hopefully they can figure it out or hook you up with a new one or something. Good luck with the bike!

"you using the whole fist, doc?"

Fletch - 1985

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah the dealership has been very helpful so far. According to them its been Ducati that has been dragging their feet getting back to them with answers to their questions and getting authorization to change parts under warranty. Overall just highly frustrating. They are picking the bike up on Tuesday for round 2 of trying to figure out whats going on but the weather has been awesome lately which makes it hard to just have her sitting in my garage. Ill keep posting as I get news from the dealership.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Try removing the EVAP canister, and associated lines... My 2013 SP with full race termi and ECU reflash has been pretty solid. Had no real issues before the ECU flash besides the throttle sticking open every once in awhile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2014 hyper SP and have started to experience some frustrating problems. The bike was superb up until 1800mi then it just didn't want to start. The screen flashes with each engine crank, which seem slow and sluggish, but it does start. Occasionally its like it runs out of juice and stops completely for a second then starts to crank again. Seems almost like the battery is low but that isn't it(keep reading). Also at stoplights the bike will slowly idle up to 2k. I can blimp the throttle and it will return down to 1200-ish then start to climb back up to 2k. I haven't experienced any problems with stalling during downshifting which seems to plague other bikes.

I took it into the dealer I bought the bike from where they kept it for a week and a half and eventually the owner of the dealership authorized them to open a crate hyper and start to swap parts. From what they told me the main stuff they replaced was the ECU(no effect, problems persisted) and the Throttle bodies, which they claimed where the culprit. They called me with the good news and I picked the bike up. It started right up in the morning and was fine, I rode the 20miles to work and all was well. After work the bike didn't want to start again, the idling problems were back. Worse still is when I got home the bike wouldn't restart and it sounds quite ragged now at idle. The bike now idles between 1.2 - 2k back and forth quite quickly and its just all over the place. Frustratingly I called the dealer back the next morning and told them my problems but with weekend is a holiday so I have to wait additional time before they can pick the bike up and keep it for god knows how long.

So after reading about some of the other problems people are having, has anyone experienced any of this? It almost sounds like it might be some kind of kinked hose like the other posts which is tricking the computer and messing up the throttle. Maybe when they change the throttle bodies they released some pressure or something and thats why it appeared to start up great until I rode it again? I'll test this tomorrow as I can't start the bike without waking up half the neighborhood. Any hints/solutions would be great if anyone has fixed these problems. The dealership doesn't have a clue what the culprit is and I'm scared of how long the bike is going to be gone if they take it again.
I am new hear and new to ducati, my 821 hyper has been in the shop for a week now with the same problems. The last time I talked to the tec he told me that he rode it and there is defiantly a problem but they are having a hard time figuring out what is causing it. he also told me that there were conflicting numbers (what numbers I don't know) between the horizontal cylinder and the vertical. have you heard anything back as to what was wrong with yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
good news

Just heard from the dealer, I had them remove the evaporator can and they rode it 40 miles today with no problems. Im going tonight to pick it up. with any luck this is the end of my problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Researching hard starting issue. I thought my problem was the starter on my 2013 821 so I replaced mine with a Denso and Motolectric wires. I am having extreme difficulty getting mine to start that has gotten progressively worse. If I can get it started, once it heats up it will start again so my issue is limited to "cold start" but it's never cold in South Mississippi. I have a 2013 821 7700 miles with a new Li-Ion battery, Arrow slip on with Up Map.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts