Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's really hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. Wondering if some of you may know? It's that metal-ly kinda pinging sound. Not so much a valve noise. Dealer ran another 15 and that one wasn't nearly as loud as mine. Mine has 680 miles and has been doing it since day one. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, you're right to be concerned. Ducati's usually have a very quiet valvetrain, partially because of the desmodromic's and partially due to the belt drive. What I hear could be very easily caused by low oil pressure, the top end simply not being lubricated well enough. It could also have an assembly issue with the valvetrain. I would absolutely check the oil height and verify it's good. Perhaps the next step is to do the bike's first oil change before going to crazy, see if new oil quiets it down a bit. If nothing changes, absolutely have someone look at it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just picked up the bike from its first service and the noise is still there. The video was shot right after I got it home from it. Dealer didn't have a clue either. I'm tempted to drop it off to them and tell them "let me know when you find it and fix it."

·
Registered
529 Posts
With only 680 miles I would highly doubt if it is the bearing in the alternator side crankcase cover, but it could be. My bearing on my 848 went bad a couple of years ago (due to my fault), and that's what mine turned out to be. It can be really hard to pinpoint noises on these engines, even figuring out which side of the engine the noise is coming from can be tough. I was like you, though, I knew I was hearing something that just wasn't right. Some people could hear it, others couldn't.

Yours doesn't quite sound like mine did, but before you go too far down the investigatory road I would take literally one minute to pull off the small window on the alternator side cover to see if the bearing is in tact. If it's good you can eliminate that right off the bat and move on.

Here's two of my videos that might be helpful; one where I was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from and the other is a video of the final discovery of my bad bearing.

Good luck, man!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sound isn't as prominent from the left side of the bike and it doesn't sound like a bearing. It's really weird. Doesn't sound like it'd be from the valve train either. The other 2015 made it, too. Barely. Or perhaps I was hearing it because I wanted to hear it. Wishful hearing, if you will. Revving the engine it goes away...I didn't hear any evidence of the sound speeding up but that could be because under a load it causes it to go away for whatever reason.

Bottom line is that a brand new bike shouldn't be making this sound. No doubt a factory making the bike would let this noise go without fixing it (unlike dry clutch sound for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
so does it change at all? clutch in, clutch out... In gear out of gear? can you borrow and jerryrig a stand, is it only at idle, where does the note change?

no stethoscope? long screwdriver against your ear.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't change at all. Clutch in or out and neutral or in gear, it's still there. It's not there until it warms up. Once you begin to rev it it'll go away but right back at idle. I got front and rear stands for it already. I'm gonna try the screwdriver trick later on.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
why do people like to fuck about with fault findind or fixing brand new under warranty vehicles?

just reading about a 3 week old mtn bike wanting to buy parts to fix a jumpy chain..

get back to the dealer and let them do their job.. if they can't find another dealer to ask.

good luck

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only have one dealer here in Nebraska. I'm tempted to drop it off with them and tell them to find it and fix it by April, believe me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Only have one dealer here in Nebraska. I'm tempted to drop it off with them and tell them to find it and fix it by April, believe me.
I had a few problems.
Ducati Diavel,they have come through for me every time.
The dealer dealt with re-calls and any problems.
Even when I had a problem and the warranty had expired (6 months) Ducati took care of it.
Had false neutrals in every gear going up through the box.

Ducati`s good will has been #1 for me.
Hope they can sort your problem.

As quite a few here have said, don`t do anything yourself.

·
Registered
529 Posts
get back to the dealer and let them do their job.. if they can't find another dealer to ask.
DLIT, I believe I agree with Shrek on this. As mentioned in my second post above, with only 680 miles on this bike your best option at this point probably would be finding a dealer that will take care of you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you buy it from them? I gotta bring my Evo in for almost the same sound but with work and weather, its been a pain in the Arse. I also think that it might just be in my mind and im just paranoid since I dropped it last August. But if there is a problem, they will find it, no doubt.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm dropping it off next week. This is an alarming sound. I'm too worried something could fail as a result of it mid-corner and I won't be around to tell them "Told Ya so!"

Their first reaction was basically, if something fails it'll be covered under warranty. I'm not accepting that anymore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey man did you ever get this fixed? I watched your video and my sf848 with only 600 miles makes the same exact noise. Seems to come on once it warms up. Dealer heard it but said same thing if something goes wrong covered under warranty

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dropped it off at the dealer and explained to them I'm not comfortable riding it and risking my life on an inexplicable noise. They were cool about it and aren't charging me to figure out what it is. I'm just hoping I'll get it back before riding season. Haven't gotten any updates yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.