Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who are interested, this thread has been created to log the 2015 race season with 182 Racing. I will be posting things such as sponsorships, bike build and race results periodically throughout the 2015 season. Looking forward to my first season racing.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
What series / group?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will be competing in heavyweight supersport/super bike, supertwins, and rookies cup unlimited. Since this is my first season I will be considered an amateur.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I thought that avatar looked familiar! Good luck next year...I'm jealous!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woodcraft & Armour Bodies

Received and signed my first sponsorship contract for the 2015 season with Woodcraft & Armour Bodies. I ordered rear sets, clip ons, and some new knee pucks from woodcraft and received them today. Shipment was quick, and the transaction was seamless. Cannot say enough good things about the customer service and interaction with their sales associates. Total class act! I previously had purchased front axle sliders, and rear spools through woodcraft, as well as bodywork for the 899. In case you guys didn't know, Woodcraft is the official US importer and dealer for Armour Bodies. My Armour Bodies is great quality and mounted up superb. They also tossed in a T shirt, and some decals/patches as a special way of saying thanks for choosing them. Again, cannot say enough good things about the company.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
So did you order them or get them for free because of the sponsorship?? If you're sponsored by them, how did you go about doing that? I've always wondered how you can get sponsorship from companies like that when you start racing (at novice club level)? Or are you an expert racer?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So did you order them or get them for free because of the sponsorship?? If you're sponsored by them, how did you go about doing that? I've always wondered how you can get sponsorship from companies like that when you start racing (at novice club level)? Or are you an expert racer?
Rub, I have been selected for the 2015 Woodcraft Racer Support Program. Basically this means that I get discounted items in exchange for product promotion. Sometimes I do get free products, but these are mostly apparel and other clothing products. A racer must submit a Racer Resume prior to the start of the 2015 season to obtain Sponsorship with a company. The more successful the racer, the more lucrative deals one can achieve. FWIW in my resume I state that this will be my rookie season. It is a contract however that must be signed and honored. There are rules for each company and you must abide by them if you are to receive support. Any more questions, let me know.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ah I see. So basically you have to go to companies' websites (or contact them a different way) and basically "apply" for it, sort of like a scholarship when going to college.

That makes more sense that you only get discounts and the more successful you are, the better the deals, because I know Woodcraft and other well known manufacturers in this industry sponsor lots of people, so you'd think they'd go bankrupt if they gave free parts to everyone. Though it would be nice to get a box of rear sets, sliders, covers, and other misc parts on your doorstep for free! :D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I think Dan learned from the same skoo' I did… LOL :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah I see. So basically you have to go to companies' websites (or contact them a different way) and basically "apply" for it, sort of like a scholarship when going to college.

That makes more sense that you only get discounts and the more successful you are, the better the deals, because I know Woodcraft and other well known manufacturers in this industry sponsor lots of people, so you'd think they'd go bankrupt if they gave free parts to everyone. Though it would be nice to get a box of rear sets, sliders, covers, and other misc parts on your doorstep for free! :D
If you look on most companies websites, there will be a link to a "Rider support/Contingency" page which will offer more information. Don't be fooled though, the discounts as an amateur are still better then you would think. I think companies like Woodcraft who are deeply rooted in the local racing communities are looking to help grow the sport and understand that the cost of racing is expensive. Kudos for any company looking to help out by offering great discounts on parts needed for the sport.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Congrats to you 182...
Nice one.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Yes, indeed!! Sweet!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
That's awesome Dan! Anything is better then nothing! :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I dropped off the 899 at Ducati Winchester while I was attending their annual Christmas party. Donnie is going to be installing a Yoyodyne slipper clutch, as well as re-springing and changing the shim stack in the front forks. In an attempt to keep cost down, I am going to make do with the stock suspension components for now. I'll give it a go this season and upgrade suspension as needed. I'll be riding on the new Dunlops for the 2015 season. Still waiting on a couple of responses for 2015 sponsorship. Will post up any updates as they come in. Hope you all have happy holidays.

Dunlop Racing » GP-A Pro

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Today I dropped off the 899 at Ducati Winchester while I was attending their annual Christmas party. Donnie is going to be installing a Yoyodyne slipper clutch, as well as re-springing and changing the shim stack in the front forks. In an attempt to keep cost down, I am going to make do with the stock suspension components for now. I'll give it a go this season and upgrade suspension as needed. I'll be riding on the new Dunlops for the 2015 season. Still waiting on a couple of responses for 2015 sponsorship. Will post up any updates as they come in. Hope you all have happy holidays.

Dunlop Racing » GP-A Pro
Too bad they don't make those in a 200 width..at least at the moment. Those 190s are actually 187mm and according to their site it fits best with 5.5" rims. I think I'm going to give slicks a go next year...$10 cheaper to right now, for the 120/200 combo US N-Tec

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, they do work best with the 5.5 inch rim which is what I have on the 899. The Pirelli 180/60 is actually a very comparable size to the 190/60 despite being labeled as a 180. I am excited to try out the dunlops, as I have been riding exclusively the Pirelli range of tires for the past 6 years. Having said that, there are a couple of reasons I am not going with slicks.

1) I only have one set of wheels, so if it is damp atleast I can run dot tires.
2) Slicks are not permitted in heavyweight super sport class.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts