Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Hypermotard convert to Hyperstrada or other way round?

I love the look of the 2016 Hypermotard SP (SP). And I like the look of the Ohlins forks. But I really need more of a touring bike like the Hyperstrada (HS).

I'm new to Ducati and don't fully understand the differences between them other than the cosmetics. I haven't ruled out a Multistrada (MS).

Is it possible or even practical to convert the SP to be a HS? The specs have it listed as a slightly lower seat, which is attractive to me, too, having only a 29-30" inseam.

Maybe there woudl be advantages to going the other way? That is, getting the cosmetics/graphics of the SP for a HS?

My riding would be around town, short trips, maybe an occasional couple hour trip somewhere. I don't really see myself going on any extended journeys. I will never be off-road with it. I woudl never be on a track. Just an old guy who wants a bike. I don't care for pirate suits so the Ducati looks appealing.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
273 Posts
2016 Hypermotard convert to Hyperstrada or other way round?

I love the look of the 2016 Hypermotard SP (SP). And I like the look of the Ohlins forks. But I really need more of a touring bike like the Hyperstrada (HS).
more than looks the whole suspensions system is way better, I'd strongly advise on getting a SP, changing the seat, adding the windshield and a luggage system.
First you can do it yourself in a matter of hours. second you can swap back when you want it.
I do that, i have my "commuter" setup and when i hit the track (because.. damn.. that bike is f-ing amazing on a track)...i remove windshield, swap back the seat, remove tankbag, adjust suspension, tire pressure and ready to go.

enjoy your future bike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm going to ride anmotardntomorrown my local shop doesn't have a sp or strata though. If I like the plan mortared I'll go seek out a sp I can ride. Gonna ride a Multistrada too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the conversion you are asking about. I bought a '14 HyperMotard SP. To make it more "touring" I bought the Hyperstrada grab handles and hard bags. Just remove the stock tail and bolt on the 2 piece grab handles and bag mounts. It's easy. Also, Ducati makes a touring windscreen the bolts right on. All this stuff comes off when I get home for canyon riding and it goes back to a stock looking Hyper SP. The only downsides I found so far are: 1) you cannot add and aftermarket exhaust that goes up like the Termi high pipe or the bags wont fit and 2) some fender eliminators will not fit between the bags so ask before you buy one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.