Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need your help on these 2 tires. Ran the 2ct's and loved them but the shop is saying the diablos are a newer and better tire. Price on the diablos are a little cheaper too. What would you guys run on a 1098?

my riding is literally riding around the city with no possibility of a track day(no track within 300kms)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Go with the Pirellis. Their shape seems to work for the Ducatis. I had 2CTs on my bike when I bought it and did not like them. I had them on other bikes and they were great. I put Rosso IIs on the Duc and it is way happier.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Neither....pretty much nothing currently can beat the performance and value of the Dunlop Q3...you can grab a set about $180-200 with the rebate they got going until end of April...

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
2CT all the way. I've run em all in 92,000K and always go back to the 2CT. Helps the turn in on the Ducati's.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just made the switch from 2ct's to the q3's. But the q3 is a 50/50 street/trackday tire. Which suits me better

For you- I would say stay on the 2ct's

·
Registered
303 Posts
Neither....pretty much nothing currently can beat the performance and value of the Dunlop Q3...you can grab a set about $180-200 with the rebate they got going until end of April...
I have never ran the Q3's. I've ran the 2CT, the Pilot Power 3, etc. and so have all my friends. I even rode the 2CT and PP3 at the track and can speak to how it fell off (it isnt at race tire) and my other buddies experienced the same. One of my good friends runs the Q3's at the track and said its night and day better than the 2CT/PP3. He gets tons of track days out of it on his R6 and says grip is phenomenal. He runs slicks on his 1K too, so he knows what's up.

So I guess if it was me buying a tire for the street, I'd buy the Q3's. I was never keen on spending a ton of money for a street tire that you burn through, that you never realize the benefit of, since a cheaper tire that lasts longer could provide the same, or nearly the same performance.

Unfortunately/fortunately I only run the Pirelli Superbike Slick as I am 100% track only and I like consistency and I know the tire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
need your help on these 2 tires. Ran the 2ct's and loved them but the shop is saying the diablos are a newer and better tire. Price on the diablos are a little cheaper too. What would you guys run on a 1098?

my riding is literally riding around the city with no possibility of a track day(no track within 300kms)
I have Dunlop Q3 on my 1098s.
Amazing tires.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So I guess if it was me buying a tire for the street, I'd buy the Q3's. I was never keen on spending a ton of money for a street tire that you burn through, that you never realize the benefit of, since a cheaper tire that lasts longer could provide the same, or nearly the same performance.
This is partly right- the Q3 is definitely cheaper. Mine just cost 289 for the pair 120/70 and 190/55. And that doesnt include the rebate!
But the Q3 will not last longer than the 2CT's. The 2CT is more geared towards the street than the Q3 is.

I have both, so I am not biased.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hated the Q2's. I run Pirelli SC's on the track which are super smooth and sticky and Pirelli Rosso II on the street which have great mileage durability.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Tire choice really depends on how much life you seek from a tire and what kind of performance level you're looking for. The nice thing about the Pirelli Rosso Corse, is that it heat's up immediately and retains heat much easier, allowing you to feel more confident in it's performance. I'm not a fan of the Rosso II, it's not anywhere near the same tire.

The Dunlop Q3 is an intriguing tire, it's a major leap beyond the Q2. It doesn't retain heat like the Pirelli's, but once hot they are very sticky. I'm personally not a fan of the "carbon fiber sidewall" nonsense, it's really only there to make the tire seem special. Still, it's an extremely versatile tire and at this point, arguably the best street/performance tire on the market.

Unfortunately, Michelin have lost the boat on their performance tires for whatever reason. They use to make excellent street performance tires, but recently Dunlop, Pirelli AND Bridgestone have made HUGE leaps in technology, giving them a distinct edge, even in the very competitive street performance tire realm.

So think hard about what you expect from a tire… mileage (longevity) and performance are the two key's.

I personally dig the idea of the Dunlop on the 1098, they're a bit harder carcass wise and can handle the power better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input boys!! I would love a set of super sticky tires but for the riding I do they would be squared off in no time. I got a family so my rides are more of a couple hour ride in the city with the boys here and there. I'd like to think im a good rider so longevity isn't the key but I would say 90% of my riding is straight line with the occasional off ramp. Thanks for confusing me more too

On a plus side I got to ride the tricolore for the first time and the feeling of a Duc is like no other.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Just remember, Ducati superbikes aren't designed for straight-line riding, they'll chew through tires no matter what you've got on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts