Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I know a lot of forum chatter goes on but I want all of you guys to check your bikes for the oil leak on the filter cover (left side) Another bike went up in flames today on another forum and I really don't want to hear about a 3rd. We are awaiting confirmation of the oil leak but I highly suspect the condition, hoping that I am wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
WTF Over?

How the hell can a little oil leak turn into something so severe? My OLD Ducati 900SP used to have all sorts of tiny leaks, but I was never afraid of something like this!

I am scared now to ask how this began and how a dealer missed the entire issue? I mean really, W-T-F !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right Gunny. In my case it was a small leak otherwise, I may have suffered the same fate. However, another gent had his bike serviced. The dealer saw smoke, they put it back on the lift, cleaned it up thinking it was just residue and the next day, FIRE!!! If this other gents bike had significant enough oil, it could happen,.

Those are the pics from my bike.....thus less severe. However, I called my dealers attention to it before the service.... Preventive medicine can be very powerful my friend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My intention is not to create mass hysteria but if you feel like your leak is worse than mine (seen above) I would have my dealer address the situation. Keep it cleaned up as much as possible with a shop towel after the motor has cooled just to keep critical accumulations from occurring. I am not Chicken F'ing Little and the sky is falling but very concerned.

Like I said, I am not wanting mass hysteria, just extreme caution for all my fellow Panigale owners.

Dont let this be your bike.

The 42nd entry into his original post has this text.
"Well from the looks of it, my dad helped me out by loading up the bike on the trailer to take it to the dealer, so we had a good hard look at what was going on. Looks like oil was coming from the area where the oil filter was. Our take on what happened... The tech probably didnt screw it on right or didnt seat the ring that is inside it and just a small hole had been leaking oil while under pressure when the engine was actually under power and more pressure than the normal idle or just sitting with the key off, causing it to drip onto the cans and in turn causing the fire. We didnt tear the fairings off, but it seems that there is oil streaks starting around where the oil filter is located and streaking towards the back of the bike. That explains why the tech, after test riding it, put it back on the stands to blow of some oil, probably tightened down the filter some more but didnt have the ring seated all the way in the first place and therefore I had a small leak that I couldnt even see unless I was up to speed. Which I cant look at the bottom of my bike while I am up to speed anyways. This is just a theory. But the evidence is there. I know Ducati is all over this case because my tech has told me I am the first Panigale owner in the world to have a major issue, and the Panigale is Ducati's "Titanic" right now... they're probably watching me sleep at night... "

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here are a few other signs to watch for.
Oily residue collecting on the leading edge of the side stand. very noticable.
Same residue collecting around the fan and running along the bottom of the cans. Can be seen and felt.

I know it looks like dirt until you put it between your fingers and feel the lubricity.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mavic, was yours actually reaching the ground or did you spot the stain and bring it in??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ct Duc,
Mine did not reach the ground. It was distributed down and back and collected on the fan. Might it have reached the ground. I would say yes as it was ready to drip from teh fan as seen in the picture. However, I tried to ride my bike quite often resulting in any oil being distributed along the cans and related areas.

I noticed mine when I got my bike out of the shop for the 2nd time and was installing my reverse DQS and Generator cover. Then I starting looking more closely and started making connections with the fire I had read about, saw oil distrubed onto the cans, back along the motor as air rushing through the fairings carried it rearward. It clicked to me. I may be completly wrong but Ducati better watch out. If we start finding more bikes with this leak, I will go straight to main stream media and let it hit the air waves or twisted pair as it is today. I am sick of this kind of crap!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
"Oh yeah? well, my 1199 hasn't caught on fire!"

Just wait. Someone'll post it.
One is a fluke...more than one is not and is unacceptable. Gotta call a spade a spade boys..and this should not be happening..at all. A crappy bolt..or ecu flash or this and that is all expected of a new bike...fire...no way

·
Site Sponsor
500 Posts
How does a small oil leak result in a fire like this? I've had so many bikes with oil leaks over the years, oil dripping right onto header pipes, etc. and it smokes but doesn't actually burst into flames. I'm pretty sure you can pour a puddle of 10w50 on the floor and hit it with a blowtorch and it will not burst into flames. Someone try that and get back to me.... ;-)

·
Registered
789 Posts
One is a fluke...more than one is not and is unacceptable. Gotta call a spade a spade boys..and this should not be happening..at all. A crappy bolt..or ecu flash or this and that is all expected of a new bike...fire...no way
Jeez man harden the f*ck up.Buy your new 1199 and make sure its not pissing oil out every now and then and it wont catch fire.
Ciao

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jeez man harden the f*ck up.Buy your new 1199 and make sure its not pissing oil out every now and then and it wont catch fire.
Ciao
Ummmm...ahhh...no...oil leaks being checked on a 20k bike is not for me..but thanks

Reactions: rodomodena

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hey this is not the first time I see this
The full system bruns even better :mad:

My intention is not to create mass hysteria but if you feel like your leak is worse than mine (seen above) I would have my dealer address the situation. Keep it cleaned up as much as possible with a shop towel after the motor has cooled just to keep critical accumulations from occurring. I am not Chicken F'ing Little and the sky is falling but very concerned.

Like I said, I am not wanting mass hysteria, just extreme caution for all my fellow Panigale owners.

Dont let this be your bike.

The 42nd entry into his original post has this text.
"Well from the looks of it, my dad helped me out by loading up the bike on the trailer to take it to the dealer, so we had a good hard look at what was going on. Looks like oil was coming from the area where the oil filter was. Our take on what happened... The tech probably didnt screw it on right or didnt seat the ring that is inside it and just a small hole had been leaking oil while under pressure when the engine was actually under power and more pressure than the normal idle or just sitting with the key off, causing it to drip onto the cans and in turn causing the fire. We didnt tear the fairings off, but it seems that there is oil streaks starting around where the oil filter is located and streaking towards the back of the bike. That explains why the tech, after test riding it, put it back on the stands to blow of some oil, probably tightened down the filter some more but didnt have the ring seated all the way in the first place and therefore I had a small leak that I couldnt even see unless I was up to speed. Which I cant look at the bottom of my bike while I am up to speed anyways. This is just a theory. But the evidence is there. I know Ducati is all over this case because my tech has told me I am the first Panigale owner in the world to have a major issue, and the Panigale is Ducati's "Titanic" right now... they're probably watching me sleep at night... "

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love my Panigale S Tri and completely happy with the first 1300 miles. Flame away :mad:.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I'll bite

The flash point of the oil is 432F. I would agree that a large amount of oil is very difficult to ignite. However, just like gasoline, we have to have the right proportions. Mist your oil and hit it with an open flame and tell me how "unflammable" the oil is. It's all about the science.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts