Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
came back from being gone 4-5 days... battery is completely shot. won't even hold enough charge to turn on the dash or prime the fuel pump

its a 2013 so i don't think it should need an update on the voltage regulator but. i guess we will find out!

gotta tow it to the nearest dealership to get the warranty work done. I want to just shell out some bills for a Li-on battery, but am kinda butthurt and want them to fix it fo free.

will upgrade to either this skyrich, or this ballistic 8-cell. friend of mine said to get the 12-cell but their website suggested 8-cell... weird...

if anyone has any other suggestions for batteries i am definitely all ears. but going to be going the free route this time haha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hesitate myself to go to newer technology batteries. One consideration is the ability to perform at the same temperature extremes. As an electrical engineer who has lots of design experience, I know there are always trade offs when choosing a change in technology. Everything isn't always better; maybe only a few, but at the expense of others. Do lots of research is my advice. Check manufacturers 'while papers', or 'application notes', or 'data sheets' that are targeted towards design engineers. That is what I do when designing. Everything is public domain, so should be easy to find on web. If not, call and ask for technical assistance from sales engineer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice! i am going with Li-on because a friend of mine who lives in the same climate as me uses them year round. i know a lot of complaints are that they don't work as well at low temperatures, but fuck it i'm not gonna buy a battery right now anyway.

tow truck is on the way to my house haha. hopefully I find something out tomorrow, i doubt they will have time to look at it today

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well, looks like i'm a dumbass, and i don't think the warranty is gonna cover the battery! Looks like i will have to bitch out the dealership that sold me the bike until they reimburse me for a new battery. fuckers!

any input on which battery i should buy would be greatly appreciated. i guess the guy above is not a fan of Li-on batteries haha. since i have a trickle charger i suppose i could just get an OEM replacement lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you sure you had the battery on tender long enough? not that 4 days should really require it, unless you left the park lights on (switched one too far from steering lock).
yeah, i left it on the trickle charger for about 16 hours haha. plus when it didn't show any signs of life after that, i took off the fairing and put my other clamp-style trickle charger directly on the battery terminals and it shows the battery health as dead

·
Registered
268 Posts
Battery has prob been sitting serviced in the bike, not charged for over a year before you bought it! Work with purchasing dealer to see if they can't be kind enough to supply you with a proper functioning battery.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah forgot that this forum is full of adults unlike the others i am on haha... i wasn't literally going to bitch out anyone, just apply polite pressure to get what I think is fair which is a free replacement battery!

I did indeed use a proper battery charger after removing it from the bike lol. it did not work.

update on the scenario: took the battery in to a closer dealership they ran a test said it didn't even have 1V... so they have submitted a claim to Ducati. In the event that the claim does not go through I will have to apply polite pressure to the dealership i originally got it from to provide me with a free replacement. Otherwise I will be purchasing an OEM replacement and putting it on the trickle charger after every ride for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
3+ years for me and 23+ k miles with OEM battery and no tender. It has never even hesitated to start on the first try. Once I see signs of a weak battery I will upgrade to Full Spectrum Power Pulse 2 lightweight lithium battery which weighs 1.7 lbs.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
that's awesome news, means they should DEFINITELY warranty this guy.
I'm not so sure about that, they could say that you left the key on... or a mod you had caused a trickle drain.

I think I would ask if the charging system is working.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Trickle charger wont charge a dead battery. They are for maintaining a battery's charge.

Put the battery on a real charger.

And no need to bitch out the dealer. You will get better results by being polite, and clearly stating what your problems are.
There is also a point of no return on a "dead" battery no matter how new it is.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they could say that, but i would say i didn't, and the customer is always right, plus seriously this is a $15k bike and 3 months old lmao. how is it even a debate they should give me a new battery for basically no reason it probably costs them $30 lol

the only mods i have are a tinted windscreen, Duc.EE which could be the culprit, and a fender eliminator. either way i've had those mods forever and the bike has never had an issue starting, and then all of a sudden completely dead. so i don't think its the Duc.EE but it has a little capacitor and resistor so its possible it slow drained out lol

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
they could say that, but i would say i didn't, and the customer is always right, plus seriously this is a $15k bike and 3 months old lmao. how is it even a debate they should give me a new battery for basically no reason it probably costs them $30 lol

the only mods i have are a tinted windscreen, Duc.EE which could be the culprit, and a fender eliminator. either way i've had those mods forever and the bike has never had an issue starting, and then all of a sudden completely dead. so i don't think its the Duc.EE but it has a little capacitor and resistor so its possible it slow drained out lol
The problem is it's just like dealing with the cable company do you really have a choice?

I would be extremely surprised if the dealership took it out of their own pocket and I would be shell shocked if Ducati (Italy) approved it since they won't even fix the swelling tank issues.

Don't get me wrong I'm with you and I love the bike (no matter the price).

·
Registered
146 Posts
The problem is it's just like dealing with the cable company do you really have a choice?).

By coincidence, I am about to be David against my Subscription TV service provider's Goliath. Here are the steps I've taken so far:
1) called small claims court 'advisor' listed at government website
2) found in my case best procedure is first have a monetary loss to recover by paying an amount being charged that is in dispute- let them know if is being paid in protest in order to protect my credit
3) file paperwork with court, getting what corporation name, address I need from ss(dot)ca(dot)gov - might be called FC100 information?
4) in the filing, insert under the corporation's name a caption that reads "SERVE: (insert name of registered agent here, gotten from above gov web address
5) clerk will send certified mail, and send receipt to me

Cheers!

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
By coincidence, I am about to be David against my Subscription TV service provider's Goliath. Here are the steps I've taken so far:
1) called small claims court 'advisor' listed at government website
2) found in my case best procedure is first have a monetary loss to recover by paying an amount being charged that is in dispute- let them know if is being paid in protest in order to protect my credit
3) file paperwork with court, getting what corporation name, address I need from ss(dot)ca(dot)gov - might be called FC100 information?
4) in the filing, insert under the corporation's name a caption that reads "SERVE: (insert name of registered agent here, gotten from above gov web address
5) clerk will send certified mail, and send receipt to me

Cheers!
I cut the cable (tv) went internet only $77 per month.
Netflix $8. Hulu $9 Amazon $10. Air antenna $0 play on was a one time fee $50 bucks, 2 Rokus and one Google chrome cast $200 bucks.

my yearly cost (TV and internet) going forward $1248.00 that includes all the Tax bullshit.

I was over 2k a year and I get way more content now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts