Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Loooks like a blast..I am trying to get some good health insurance before a track day. I could be mistaken but, that first clip it sounds like you close the throttle for a moment right before the rear came out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
have you taken any racing school days? if not i would it helps alot! also if you have any friends that go with you that are slightly faster and ride with them will help. are talk to people that are in your group that are faster and ask them they will go out and help you out! always work on trying to be smooth. and pick your lines, speed will come with time. once again racing schools are a big help

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
i learned that if you don't have at least one oh-shit/butt-pucker moment during a track day, then you're not trying hard enough :D

I run off the track about once every other track day. Not on days when it just rained though, because if you go off in the grass after a rain at our local tracks, it's basically a swamp and you definitely crash and everything gets covered in mud...so I don't push as hard then!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Yea I mean, it takes a while. Gotta un-learn so many bad habits from the street.

What I see in the video's are two distinct things;

- You aren't hanging off the bike at all. This is extremely dangerous because unless you DO hang off the bike, its very hard to determine lean angle, especially for a beginner who's tires are constantly cooling off. This is part of the reason why you slid the rear without any real throttle application.

- Line choice is a big deal because it will help you optimize corner speed, which is one of the biggest issues street guys face when they go to the track. My suggestion is to follow some of the faster guys who have good line choice (which is pretty evident) and see if you can pick up on what they're doing.

In terms of the bike, I'd leave it alone. We all know the 848 isn't really a great track bike stock, it needs a bit of work to make it steer and more stable. However, it doesn't make sense to throw any money at it until you really need it. There are two roads to go down; spend money on your bike in order to feel more confident and go quicker OR spend money on education. I did the bike route as I'm mechanical and to this day, I wish I had just taken courses. It takes a lot longer to learn things through trial and error, then just to go out and be taught.

Anyway, good times! Its always nice to see another Ducati on the track! :)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I can assure you when the back end kicked out I was hanging off the bike, here is a pic on that very turn (not the same lap). But all good advice!
Hanging off refers to literally, using your outside leg to hold you up onto the bike, whilst the rest of your body "hangs" off the chassis. Unfortunately, sticking your knee out like a 3rd wheel, isn't hanging off.

The whole principal is to get your butt crack off the seat and head on the outside of the bubble. Thus, allowing your body to be closer to the ground when in corners.

Sa'll good, it was just something I saw and wanted to point out. ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think your form looks pretty good. I am sure Tye is seeing something I am not. It takes a while to get used to hanging off the bike. I am still a work in progress and I have been riding for 10+ years. One tip I always think of is use your legs to control the bike around the tank. You can literally throw it into turns once you have countersteer where you want it to go. You can use your legs to get that peg pushed down and the outer leg to lock into the tank.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
239 Posts
OPRT
Optimum Performance Rider Training - Home

I only go to the ridge in Shelton I think its April-Sept.

Well, then I suppose that remains a possibility. The site only lists up to August for track days, I'll have to check back in.

Funny that you go to them, they were the company recommended by the MSF guys when I had to retake the course after going back to a base in the US (Army standards). I just didn't have the leathers and boots necessary to get out there at the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
OPRT is a good bunch of guys they also have training classes for level 1 and are suppose to start one for level 2. At anytime during the day you can ask all the questions you want and ask to be followed or follow them etc..

They are a non-profit mostly guys that love to ride track. If you are looking for more instructional you might want to check out 2fast (I've wanted to try tem).

OPRT is the lowest price you will find.

here is the website for the ridge it lists all the dates for track time by organization. I'm going in August again with OPRT then my last one will be with Ducati Bellevue (Ducati only day) in September hey you get a free shirt :yo:

The Ridge Motorsports Park

https://secure.ducatibellevue.com/event-individual.php?event=124

DAMN. I'd be missing the Bellevue event by 1 week :/ I'll be somewhere between Denver and Las Vegas.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts