Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I've got a '93 twin carb (Mikuni Carb) 400SS ex Japan model. I have a problem with the bike where at low revs (below about 8,000rpm) it's fine, but anything over that it coughs and splutters. I have pulled the airbox cover off and replaced the air filter, and have found lots of fuel in the airbox itself. Running it without the filter, I notice a fine fuel vapour coming out of the air intake on the left side carburetor (looking from the rear to the front) at higher revs, which explains the fuel in the airbox, and is I suspect causing it to run rich and splutter. There doesnt appear to be anything coming from the right carb, so I suspect it might be a seal/jet or float issue on the left carb??

Keen to get your insight into where to start looking first in terms of either adjustments, or fixes.

Cheers

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've pulled the air box off the bike tonight and whipped the slider cap off. Found the carb that is causing issues has a perished slider diaphragm, with crap all around the inside of the carb. Other one is nice and clean, and the diaphragm is intact. Going to see if can source a new set and replace them hopefully that sorts it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would replace the plug wires as well. They are OLD and very taxed at that RPM. Any unburned fuel due to a non or weak spark can easily find its way into the airbox. Just my first thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts