Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says.

The bike was a write off in NSW June 09 inspected and put back on the road in 2010

Legislation in Oz means the owner does not need to disclose the history neither does a dealer (Not true for all states)

1M8LP was original rego not current private plate as shown in the advert.

2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR

Save your money for an uncrashed one!

Copy of the Bike History report available if needed PM and I will email.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
410 Posts
I saw that advertised and thought gee that's cheap. Guess that explains it.

Pity the buyer that buys it thinking it's a steal and not knowing it's history.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

See how DUCATI DESMOSEDICIRR on the side fairing is parallel to the stripes below. That's not the original factory finish.

In Oct 2010 there was one on bikesales.com.au with the decal applied like that. It had 1292 klms, reg no. RDG19 and "was once crashed and repaired".

I guess this is the same bike. On bikesales it was pictured with non-genuine, ugly mirrors. It also had a high, dark screen.

There were at least two crashed bikes auctioned off in Oz in 2009 (?). Is it one of them?

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's pretty harsh, man.

In Victoria at least it is a legal requirement to disclose a vehicles WOVR status, I don't know about NSW, but your laws are pretty messed up on the subject. Have a look at the current crop of bikes which a statutory write offs for no good reason apart from trying to stop habibs chop shop rebirthing bikes.

For all you know, it could have had some very, very minor damage that doesn't reflect it's true and current condition.

Anyway, your link says it's sold. So I'm guessing someone prepared to drop 50K on a bike would have done the correct checks to satisfy themselves.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty harsh, man.

In Victoria at least it is a legal requirement to disclose a vehicles WOVR status, I don't know about NSW, but your laws are pretty messed up on the subject. Have a look at the current crop of bikes which a statutory write offs for no good reason apart from trying to stop habibs chop shop rebirthing bikes.

For all you know, it could have had some very, very minor damage that doesn't reflect it's true and current condition.

Anyway, your link says it's sold. So I'm guessing someone prepared to drop 50K on a bike would have done the correct checks to satisfy themselves.
Pretty Harsh?

Not as harsh as somebody trying to flog a written off Desmo and not disclosing it.

Call it a bit of public service and protection of the Ducati members on here a few I know are actively looking for Desmo's.

Very minor damage is unlikely to have classed it as a write off, it would need to be beyond economical repair.

I am Perth WA based where the law is in favour of the seller even if it is a registered garage, no disclosure required.

You are right it is sold, i too hope the buyer checked the history if not they are in for a surprise when they try and sell it.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you personally contact the seller and did he not disclose the WOVR status?

I wouldn't be surprised if falling off the side stand made it a write off, it just about happens with an 1199 with Ducati's ridiculous pricing on parts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I remember when the two Desmo wrecks at Pickles auction in Sydney back in 2009, drew a huge crowd. Both sold for over $46K at the time. which was absurd. They where both quite badly damaged. lots of cosmetic stuff, but front wheel was broken (smashed to pieces) on one of them. so one would assume reasonable front end impact!

Dont know which one it was, cant remember the numbers. I saw the guy who brought one at EC a few months later, he was still convincing himself what a great deal he got.:blind:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If a bike has been repaired well can't see anything wrong with that .
Not like he is asking a premium price . A insurance company can quickly right off a Desmosedici with only cosmetic damage .
A scratch on the swingarm or rear set will warrant new replacements .
Has the OP viewed the bike in person if so what's the main concern with it ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you personally contact the seller and did he not disclose the WOVR status?

I wouldn't be surprised if falling off the side stand made it a write off, it just about happens with an 1199 with Ducati's ridiculous pricing on parts.
Correct!

A polite detailed email sent asking about the status and history of the bike and querying the low price.

No reasonable explanation given hence the Bike History report purchase and disclosure here to protect others.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If a bike has been repaired well can't see anything wrong with that .
Not like he is asking a premium price . A insurance company can quickly right off a Desmosedici with only cosmetic damage .
A scratch on the swingarm or rear set will warrant new replacements .
Has the OP viewed the bike in person if so what's the main concern with it ?
It takes a hell of a lot more than cosmetic damage to write a Desmo off, trust me I know!

No I didn't view the bike having confirmed it was classed as beyond economical repair and written off with no valid explanation forthcoming from the seller I moved on.

The description given by others seen at auction is a more realistic explanation of what written off looks like e.g. significant damage.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
So what is wrong with the bike ? Why would you not touch it ?
A scratched swing arm and rear set and rashed fork lower and a few damaged panels can have a Desmosedici written off
Did you view or have any pictures before it was repaired . Do you know what was wrong with it ?

From what I can see it is priced way below what others are offering their bikes and it still was not selling .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what is wrong with the bike ? Why would you not touch it ?
A scratched swing arm and rear set and rashed fork lower and a few damaged panels can have a Desmosedici written off
Did you view or have any pictures before it was repaired . Do you know what was wrong with it ?

From what I can see it is priced way below what others are offering their bikes and it still was not selling .
Who said anything about me being concerned about the bike having anything "wrong" with it?

That could only be confirmed by a full inspection, my concern was purely that it was a write off.

Personal choice shared by many, why buy a previously written off bike? Unless you were planning to track it and therfore throw it down the road again.

Come resale time it is pretty clear that it would not be an easy sell regardless of the price difference as the current seller found out.

Why take the risk?

Why not pay the going market rate and buy a bike with more favourable history?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your thread starter said "Don't Touch it".
A reasonable person would assume something is wrong with it . Yes ?
At $55,000 I would say he met the market considering the others are in the $70's so resale should not be a real concern .Yes ?

4 Ducati Desmosedici RR Bikes for Sale - bikesales.com.au

Plenty of bikes have been down the road and repaired doesn't mean they are bad bikes same goes with cars .
There is something wrong with it!

It has been deemed beyond economical repair AND the seller failed to disclose this even when given an opportunity to.

We are not talking about a repaired bike we are talking about one which has been written off, what is so difficult to get your head round?

On average it would need to have suffered say 20-30% of it's total value in damage before the Insurance Company would wash their hands of it.

Chances are this is one of the bikes seen at auction in 2009 so 20k+ worth of damage required to trigger it as a write off would be a fair assessment, still think it has just had a "scratch" to it's swingarm and a few panels?

You sound like the seller, happy to flog a bike on with questionable history and not declare it.

Simple acid test, would you be happy to buy it for your missus/family member knowing it had been written off?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and he didn't meet market conditions.

A zero mile bike sold for 68k just 2 months ago.

I wouldn't call a 13k discount on a zero mile bike a bargain for a write off.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

It has been deemed beyond economical repair AND the seller failed to disclose this even when given an opportunity to.

We are not talking about a repaired bike we are talking about one which has been written off, what is so difficult to get your head round?

On average it would need to have suffered say 20-30% of it's total value in damage before the Insurance Company would wash their hands of it.

Chances are this is one of the bikes seen at auction in 2009 so 20k+ worth of damage required to trigger it as a write off would be a fair assessment, still think it has just had a "scratch" to it's swingarm and a few panels?

You sound like the seller, happy to flog a bike on with questionable history and not declare it.

Simple acid test, would you be happy to buy it for your missus/family member knowing it had been written off?
What was damaged on the bike ? Help me get me head around it .

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh and he didn't meet market conditions.

A zero mile bike sold for 68k just 2 months ago.

I wouldn't call a 13k discount on a zero mile bike a bargain for a write off.
You should have bought it .

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

If a frame or swing arm is rashed or scratched or a fork leg it will warrant replacement . You won't get change from 20K.
Yep sure I would be happy to buy it . It's only a bike FFs they can be fixed .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What was damaged on the bike ? Help me get me head around it .
Who cares?

The insurance company deemed it a write off, a formal assessment process recorded for all to see and documented related to that chassis and bike.

Common sense tells you that it therefore reduces the value as demonstrated, coupled with the attempt from the seller to be less than frank when prompted on the history.

When faced with this bike regardless of the cost and 4 other bikes why bother?

Unless you financially can't afford the going market rate for a Desmo and have to buy a cheaper written off model then buyer beware.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts