Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If a bike has been repaired well can't see anything wrong with that .
Not like he is asking a premium price . A insurance company can quickly right off a Desmosedici with only cosmetic damage .
A scratch on the swingarm or rear set will warrant new replacements .
Has the OP viewed the bike in person if so what's the main concern with it ?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
So what is wrong with the bike ? Why would you not touch it ?
A scratched swing arm and rear set and rashed fork lower and a few damaged panels can have a Desmosedici written off
Did you view or have any pictures before it was repaired . Do you know what was wrong with it ?

From what I can see it is priced way below what others are offering their bikes and it still was not selling .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Your thread starter said "Don't Touch it".
A reasonable person would assume something is wrong with it . Yes ?
At $55,000 I would say he met the market considering the others are in the $70's so resale should not be a real concern .Yes ?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes?M...Min=0&Price_Max=&State=&SiloType=all&BikeAll=

Plenty of bikes have been down the road and repaired doesn't mean they are bad bikes same goes with cars .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There is something wrong with it!

It has been deemed beyond economical repair AND the seller failed to disclose this even when given an opportunity to.

We are not talking about a repaired bike we are talking about one which has been written off, what is so difficult to get your head round?

On average it would need to have suffered say 20-30% of it's total value in damage before the Insurance Company would wash their hands of it.

Chances are this is one of the bikes seen at auction in 2009 so 20k+ worth of damage required to trigger it as a write off would be a fair assessment, still think it has just had a "scratch" to it's swingarm and a few panels?

You sound like the seller, happy to flog a bike on with questionable history and not declare it.

Simple acid test, would you be happy to buy it for your missus/family member knowing it had been written off?
What was damaged on the bike ? Help me get me head around it .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There is something wrong with it!

It has been deemed beyond economical repair AND the seller failed to disclose this even when given an opportunity to.

We are not talking about a repaired bike we are talking about one which has been written off, what is so difficult to get your head round?

On average it would need to have suffered say 20-30% of it's total value in damage before the Insurance Company would wash their hands of it.

Chances are this is one of the bikes seen at auction in 2009 so 20k+ worth of damage required to trigger it as a write off would be a fair assessment, still think it has just had a "scratch" to it's swingarm and a few panels?

You sound like the seller, happy to flog a bike on with questionable history and not declare it.

Simple acid test, would you be happy to buy it for your missus/family member knowing it had been written off?
If a frame or swing arm is rashed or scratched or a fork leg it will warrant replacement . You won't get change from 20K.
Yep sure I would be happy to buy it . It's only a bike FFs they can be fixed .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I do see where you coming from Wilks but to be fair to the OP, I don't think that he set out to flame the discounted price or the merits of buying a repaired bike, but rather that if you are a buyer, be aware that's it's had a repair of sorts. But I get he could of used better words to make this clear.

Your point is interesting though, if a green frame came up at a discount following a repair job but the bike looked and performed like comparables, would you buy? I would. I think the issue is where it's a newer bike people are concerned, but say an older bike not so much. I'd buy a repaired 888SP4 in top nick at 25% off even if it had been crashed. As long as the repair is good.

Wouldn't others do the same?

Bit like my grandpas old axe with the new handle.....
I get where the Op is coming from and that is a good thing . Stat wright off bikes will never hit the road again as the frame has been compromised in some way not the same as a repairable write off .
I was more in question with the title "don't touch it" as I was interested why .
If someone prefers a pampered bike with full history that is fine but if a bike is 20K cheaper than the next bike it's still worth a look IMO .
I got 60K for mine with 1 year warranty left and it was not easy to get had it apart plenty of times and there is nothing complicated with them that can't be fixed and still make it a worth while bike .
I guess we see many bikes out the track being crashed and repaired and to me it's not a thing never seen one unsafe old bikes new bikes really no difference .
It's all good just a difference of opinion and yes the seller should be forth coming with the history when asked .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
fucking hell, this went wrong quickly. OP did a stand up job making potential customers aware of a bike that the vendor was unwilling to be truthful about.

Hold on to your panties and I'll tell you exactly what was wrong with it, if it ever saw a Ducati dealer. and if it didn't? I'd never touch it anyway. Report from Ducati coming tomorrow.
How come ? Some Ducati dealers I would not let change my oil .
These bikes have no warranty so making any sort of claim is not going to be a issue .
I don't think it's a fair way to judge a bike without inspecting it yourself personally . Just saying .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Ok first I fully understand the part about Ducati dealers, especially in such a large country as yours where the network is sparse and you have so little choice with dealers. I think many Ducati owners, especially outside of Europe simply don't know that the dealer network is actually nothing more than a connected group of private businesses authorised to sell and maintain Ducati products but are not in fact part of the Ducati company. So yeah, I get that comment because not all dealers are created equal.

But in this case I think it's fair to point it that it appears to have been written off twice within the warranty period.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of any of this but if i were a potential owner I would want to and I think that if the vendor did not disclose this info freely there is something disingenuous about it. I'd not sell you a five grand bike without telling you if I knew it had been down the road let alone one I was asking ten times that for.

So yeah if this had not been through the Ducati dealer network and documented? I'd not be happy with it, and that Wilks, is as best a way I can answer your 'Why?' question. In these circumstances it all seems odd.

As I say, I'm awaiting the vehicle's history from Ducati for no other reason than it's all starting to get a bit rude over a post I think was a public service.

Is it fair to judge a bike without seeing it? Probably not, but is it fair to make assumptions about a bike when you know that there is pertinent information that the vendor is seemingly and deliberately not disclosing? I'd say so, enough to be suspicious at least. Caveat Emptor as they used to say in Rome.

And here's the kicker for me. If it's so cheap as to be well below market value then any potential buyer who didn't ask "what's wrong with it?" needs his head examined because if you were told 'nothing' and get a shock later at least you have a legal case for being mis-sold.
I get the point it was getting a bit a bit personal hence the reason i tried to pull it back a little .
Its not my style :)
Scotty if you want a new bike a know of one for sale I will try to hook you up with the owner . Pm me .
Please note not for bargain hunters .

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
there are a few here. You kinda have to learn to live with it as it appears to be condoned.
Not condoned it's just a difference of opinion nothing wrong with it .It's a forum ? I don't get that .
Do you actually think that anything in this thread deserves a warning from the admin ? I just don't see it .
I am happy to be lead to it .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.