Ducati.org forum banner

$60 and 7hrs later

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Dukki 
#1 ·
"They point and stare at me because I am different, I look back and laugh at them because they are all the same"

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Best part is if I get tired of the colour or don't like it anymore it can be removed and put back to the stock white without any problem and within a short period of time. #PLASTIDIPFORTHEWIN lol.

Lightly dusted with a matte clearcoat for longevity and to prevent unwanted peeling.

Waiting on black Ducati/848 decals and in the process of sourcing out carbon lower fairings/exhaust heat shield & swingarm cover.

#3 ·
I'm not sure if it is just me but I cannot get these pictures to fully load. The images end up about 30% loaded. I'm not quite sure what you decided to Plasti-Dip but I considered doing it on my wheels. There's so much to do with it but I'm concerned with doing it on the 1199 as I hear the paint is very soft. Perhaps just the wheels I'll do. Let me know if you ever remove it as to how it goes.

#6 ·
I was thinking something along the lines of being able to plastidip for specific occasions. Maybe the colors of your favorite sports team for game day, holidays, or hell even rainbow for pride (week? parade? day? I'm not sure which) if that's your thing.

You could change rim or accent colors like your average 20 something cosmetologist female that is a little into punk (or at least pretends to be).

#20 ·
No why would I do that? the rims are POWDERCOATED. The front hugger I did remove to spray.

Can you write up the specifics of how you did that? I'm thinking of doing this to my track setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum
1: Remove fairings from bike and clean using a non-oily/greasy cleaner
2: Spray 5 coats of Plastidip on each piece (waiting 25-30mins between coats)
3: Reassemble bike
4: Wait 5hrs or so for it to dry/bake/cure/set
5: Smile / Ride

Looks awesome. Where did you get your stomp grips (?) from?
Those are not stomp grips, they are TechSpec tank grips.

This. Doesn't hold up for nothing. Friend did it on his bike, ended up looking like crap and peeling after not too much time.
I've seen the same results on afew buddies bikes, thus the reason I lightly dusted it with a matte clear coat to help prevent that from happening, we shall see how it holds up.

#23 · (Edited)
I'm digging it! I've dipped the wheels on my car black last year and got sick of em so I just peeled them off.

One caution is to spray plenty of it to make removal process easier. If not done correctly, you will need to use a lot of goo gone and a lot of towels to rub it off.

https://www.dipyourcar.com

is a great place to see available colors and so on. There's a lot of options from glow in the dark to chameleon dip schemes!

*edit*
I replied looking only the first page of the thread, not knowing there were pages after*

As far as my experience with plastidip goes, longevity and the final product depends on the way it was done. Generally, good prep on the surface and light first coat, followed by 5-7 coats are good.

I went through this year's winter on my dipped wheels and it stayed on just fine and looked fine as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.