Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2nd hand 2003 Monster 620. It had a single front disc & that needed replacing. On stripping the wheel/calliper assembly I noticed the disc is not running central to the calliper and it had worn a step in the inside edge of the calliper. The pads were also worn grossly different on each side. The disc is running 4mm approx inboard of the calliper centre line. Thinking the disc may be wrong I ordered a new Ducati disc, but it is the same. The disc to fork/caliper distance is controlled by the axle spacer (30mm long) and potentially the location of the bearings in the wheel (which look OK).
The only other possible issue is the calliper - it looks correct - gold Brembo 4 pot with a casting number 20 6715 00, 2002. The wheel is running dead central in the forks.
Has anyone any ideas what might be causing the 4mm disc/caliper offset?:(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pics please.

Rotor offsets are typically 10mm and 15mm. So being almost 5mm off leads me to believe you had the wrong part installed at some point. The spacer on the axle will most likely not be the issue. it will be the rotor, the wheel, the caliper, or the fork leg end that is incorrect.

Go on ducati mc parts . com and cross reference all your part numbers on their online parts guide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current disc offset (outer disc face to inner carrier face) is 9.75mm. The disc Ducati part number is 492.4.024.1A and this seems to be widely used on these & other models, including twin & single disc versions. I was hoping the new disc would be more like 15mm! Given the geometry of the parts is very closely controlled by the lower fork casting with the axle & the direct mounting calliper it is difficult to understand what is wrong, unless it is the wheel/bearings? Disc misalignment.jpg

calliper asy.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just checked ducati mc parts - they quote the same disc number as I have just got. On the calliper there is only a Brembo casting number 20671500 02(=year) and so far I have not been able to cross reference that to a Ducati number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it helps anyone to identify if the calliper is correct, it has 4 pots, 30 & 35mm diameter on each side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally identified the cause of the problem after a lot of careful measurements & checking parts for being true. The Calliper mounting lugs on the slider are twisted. This is consistent with some scuffing on the underside of the calliper, probably from a coming together with a disc lock.
Thanks for all the input, just remember to check your disc before you move off.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts