Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caio All,

I just closed my business to retire so I can focus on more important things...like tinkering on cool scoots!! I was making a living with them (exhausts, Chain Reaction Moto) but as fun as it is to be able to make a living with them, its not near as cool as just doing it for fun :highclap:

So my goal is to build something I've been contemplating for a long time: a street tracker built from a cool modern scoot...and what's cooler than an Duc? Rhetorical question of course. The answer is obviously "nothing"!

I just took delivery today of an 09 696 that was striped and/or crashed. Its missing all the body pieces including the tank, headlight, instrument cluster, air box, etc. I don't really mind though. I got what was left for $1200 and I'm planning to make my own tank that, as much as possible, reflects a classic flat tracker, and other stuff out of aluminum. I'm also going to build a new aluminum tube/plate subframe to accommodate a tracker seat/fender setup from Omar's. (I just discovered when I got the bike that that will also involve the shock mount and motor mounts. But hey, it'll just be that much cooler.) I'll also be removing the pillion pegs, which means coming up with a way to mount the rear sets. And I'm also thinking doing a new aluminum tube swing arm. The wheels will have to be billet hub laced 19"ers of course.

So, for those of you who don't think I'm a heretic, crazy, or both, I'd love some advice, suggestions, and maybe even some collaboration.

It may be that you already know where I can get some of those parts. I can fabricate, so if the cost is too high I still might choose to build my own, but I'd at least like to know what my options are.

As for collaboration, regardless of what kind of shape the engine's in, I'd like to start off knowing that its perfect, and maybe a little built. That part isn't really my forte, so if someone likes the idea of trading some labor, maybe we could talk. If not, maybe you have some other suggestions on someone to send it to, or a comprehensive step by step for the top end--pretty sure I can handle that, and just send out the heads.

I can also cut, bend, and weld aluminum, but if I want to shape the tank or other things like number plates, I'm pretty inexperienced, so collaboration on that is possibility too.

This is not going to happen real fast, just a bit at a time.

So let me hear what you think, Bob

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Should be interestiing

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
As far as wheels go, you can buy sportclassic wheels, the front will have to be modified (decked hub for the correct rotor offset) but the rear is a direct bolt on, use those hubs and lace a 19" wheel to them) this will be way cheaper than billet hubs and these are readily available.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
You can mount a single sided swing arm on it from off a 1100 or 796, the speedo set up is slightly different, but you don't have a cluster anyways. If you go ss swing arm, it make wheel changes and gear changes a sinch! The bike comes set up with a 520, and the 1100 is 525 gearing, but since you are doing the whole bike I'm sure you'l put a new drive train in. Look at either getting the ohlins forks and triples of a 1100 evo, of get speedy moto triples and you can put superbike forks on it for full adjustability. Woocraft makes a good set of rearsets for the monster, sato make a beautiful set but they are $$. The 1100 exhaust headers are a direct bolt up and give you a larger pipe size. I've done this on mine without any negligible issues with low end and all the benefits on the top end. you can also put an oil cooler on it like on the 1100 and 1100 evo to help with track driving heat. If you're gona be doing it up proper it would be a great time to tear down the motor so you can get the covers, cases, jugs and heads powder coated the color of your dreams. Just clean off the carbon with a soft bronze brush on the combustion chambers and piston crowns then replace the seals and gaskets, reuse the rest of it all. I actually milled out the baffle in the case especialy at the back for better oil return. You can get tanks all day on e bay and ca cycleworks has an aftermarket tank flared out like the supebike tanks for better grip with the knees. You can also ditch the crap rear shock and get something worth riding on! 848 brakes and masters can be had on e bay pretty cheap and work great on the monster as well. a couple companies make a better brake line set up with a t in it up high rather that the two line set up that came stock. There is a bunch of shit bolted to the air box so if you are going to filter pod it, be ready to make some mounting bracketry for the rest of the bits. While you're in there it would also be good to upp the cable guage from the battery and to the starter.

check out monster build #3 to see my frankenstein 696

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You da man Eric! This just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I've got a few other questions that go with your answers:

1. Do you know if the Woodcraft rear sets allow for removal of the pillion "wings"?
2. I'm leaning more to the SS swing arm idea. Besides the convenience, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities for wheels. As much as I'd like to do the laced wheels, it would save me a couple grand to go with stock Duc cast units. I'm thinking the 5 Y spoke models. SO, THE QUESTION IS, do you or anyone else out there know if any other SS swing arms fit? I'd love to use a tubular unit like the S4R arm. I know I'll have to build a mount for the shock. What I'm more concerned about it mounting to the frame, wheel base, and chain alignment. I'm also wondering about the 848, 1098, etc, unit. The shock mound would be a bit trickier, but there's a bunch of them out there and I suspect they're pretty light and again, wheels are also abundant.
3. What's a filter pod? The air box and one boot is gone, but I'd rather do something racier anyway.
4. Does the oil cooler AND instrument cluster from the 1100 bolt on?

I've got other questions but I'll be investigating some of the stuff you suggested and trying to refine the design.

Again, thanks a MILLION for the help. KEEP IT COMING YA'LL

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
The cluster and key are programmed together as part of the immobilizer system- make sure you get them as a set. The 696 and 1100 are different part numbers I dont know if they are interchangeable. any cluster for a bike with abs will definitely not work.
The super bike ones wont fit without modification, and the chain line might be off. The shock on the s2r and superbike will not work unless you modify the hell out of the rear sub frame. due to the angle and the centered position of the shock.
Pod filters- look on the ca-cycleworks site. they are individual k&n filters for each throttle body. you will need to pick up a replacement boot for the intake, change the crank case ventilation and delete the charcoal canister system. I've got pods on my S2R1000. I can take pics tomorrow if you want
Oil cooler bolts to the two 17mm bolts pluging the inlet and outlet in the front right lower crank case area.
You can use any number of monster or superbike wheels on it with the sssa
you can also look into forged wheels from marchesinni or carrozzaria
the woodcraft and sato replace the fugly peg wings. the sato has an option for more $$ to have a separate pillion bracket on top of the rearset assembly. woodcraft you don't ride a passenger ever. you will need to bet a banjo bolt presure type rear brake switch with either one. If you change swing arms you also need to change the rear brake hose.
The fork set up on my 696 makes for a bike that just rips around like mad but it definitely need to fabricate a damper mount that look better that the center mounted box type or the kneecap scraper that bolts to the side of the trellis.
if you're looking for exhaust, the 1100 to termi set up works great on mine, but you can do the 1100 headers to a QD ex box set up. it's pretty pimp, but it take the right bike built to pull it off.

the speed sensor issue with the swingarm swap comes from the 696 swingarm set up uses six point for the pick up per wheel rotation and the sssa uses a four pount per rotation set up, so when you're doing 60 you cluster says 40. a speedo healer can fix the issue.

Next point- clip ons. i've got 1.5" woodcraft with the long bars on the blue bike and it is really agressive and responsive but a bit rought on the wrists on distance rides. I just put 3" rise on the s2r but I haven't finished the build just yet to tell you how I like it.

Final point- when you set up the front end, the brakes may or maynot line up. I did adjustable showa forks from an848evo with monster 696 calipers and 848 master cylinders. the stok rotors did not line up- had to get a 15mm offset rotor and no one makes 5mm spacers for the rotors.
you can also put 330mm rotors on it and get the corse dynamics caliper sapcers to lift the caliper for the bigger rotor size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Eric! If I wasn't married, straight, and a bunch of other stuff, I'd be asking you to have my children...

On the swing arm, I was actually thinking of going the other direction. That is, leave the upper shock mount where it is and modify the location on the swing arm. The tubular S*R model would likely be the best candidate, based on the beefiness. However, since I plan on fabing a whole new subframe, it may be possible to just move the shock.....Have to think about that one.

For the exhaust I'm planning a very flat tracker style. Dual horizontal mufflers on the right side. Another argument in favor of the SSS. I still have parts to build a pair of my own mufflers so I won't have to stoop to the indignity of using someone else's.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS Eric, Where do I get a look at your bikes? I tried searching the gallery but no luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts