Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Where do I start....
Took my 1198 in for the 7500 mile maintenance, the dealer breaks I. Down to start the valve check and said they heard quite a bit of air while turning the engine over. After a pressure drop test, I get a call saying they found 34% leak down in the horizontal cylinder and about 28% in the vertical cylinder. I gave them the okay to pull the heads off and check the exhaust valves (which is what they were suspecting). Now that the heads are off, they're saying I need to replace ALL of my valves, and that I have some minor scoring on the cylinder walls. Which they suspect to by caused by the piston rings. Now I'm lost. I've already raccked up a healthy bill just by them pulling the heads, but if they have to pull pistons, it would get ridiculous.

From my knoledge on cars, you can tell when piston rings go bad because of oil consumption, blue smoke and that sort of stuff, but I don't have that issue on the 1198. Sounds to me like I'm getting the run around? Some opinions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up running down to the shop on Thursday to take a look at everything, being as nothing that they said was making sense. The guy that had called me was basically reading off of a paper and didn't know exactly what was going on, so he grabbed the guy working on it. All 4 exhaust valves had recessed I to the head, that's where the lack of compression was coming from. Intake valves had some nasty deposits on the tops, a little bit of wear on the face, but nothing to worry about to me. There was a few scuffs on the cylinder wall, but they were above the piston travel, telling me I had something in the air or gas.

Tech just wanted to replace rings as a preventative making since the cylinders were already off.

She's been a bit hoppy at low rpms for quite a while...but so is any manual at a low rpm. I noticed that since my trip from VA to IL that it's been a bit hard to start. (having to open the throttle a little) which does tell me compression loss.

Shop isn't shady, just a little bit of words getting twisted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it to my local dealer for the work. Performance work...hard to say who does it around my area. I havent really looked. Tech said the build up is common if you keep them at lower rpm, which i rarely get it above 6k unless im out riding on the weekends. Note to self/lesson learned. But the dealer is doing the head work to get everything back in spec.

I know that i will be running fuel sys cleaner through everyone in a while. I should have taken a picture of those valves and inside of the head so i could post it on here. Its by far the worst i've seen. Even from working on cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.