Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently recieved my full 70mm race system. In the installation instructions on the last page it details having to re-set the throttle position sensors with the special Ducati service computer. has anyone not done this? It means the bike has to go back to the dealer for this part only as I fitted the parts myself. It wasn't neccessary on the 999. Help! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
HI CBIZON, I HAD MY FULL SYSTEM PUT ON AT THE DEALERSHIP BECAUSE IF WE PUT IT ON OURSELVES, YOU ONLY GET A SIXTY DAY WARRANTY...NO BIG DEAL FOR THE EXHAST, BUT FOR THE ECU COMPUTOR UNIT WHICH COSTS AROUND 1500 CANANIAN........YOU GET 3 YEAR WARRANTY IF INSTALLED BY A DUCATI DEALER.........PLUS THEY HAVE TO PROGRAME THAT KEYS TO THE NEW ECU BY USING YOUR SWIPE CARD........MY FRIEND BLEW HIS ECU AND THEY DIDN;T COVER IT..PS. HE INSTALLED IT HIMSELF...HOPE THIS HELPS...PSS. THEY HAVE TO REPROGRAM THE NEW MAP AND FUEL AND air by THE DUCATI COMPUTER MAPER

·
Registered
3 Posts
cbizon said:
I've recently recieved my full 70mm race system. In the installation instructions on the last page it details having to re-set the throttle position sensors with the special Ducati service computer. has anyone not done this? It means the bike has to go back to the dealer for this part only as I fitted the parts myself. It wasn't neccessary on the 999. Help! :)
Yes the TPS has to be reset by diagnostic equipment used by dealers and you shouls also have the CO (mixture) set as well
PS this was also required on a 999 as well so if it wasnt done it was incorrectly set up

G

·
just got the full termi system and my question is the same as yours that didn't seem to be answered by anyone. Okay so I have to have the I.P.S and O2 settings done by the dealer, and it says don't start the bike with the new E.C.U until these settings are done. What did you do? I'm thinking of fitting the system and air filter and riding in on the old E.C.U and changing it there. Having the system fitted by the shop is not an option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take this for what it's worth, I am not a Ducati expert yet.

You can not adjust the cO without the engine running and the only reason you need to adjust it is because you have removed the 02 sensor. The cO adjustment only effect the idle circuit and it would not hurt your bike on the way to shop to be a a little lean on the idle circuit. I would also suggest you have them set it at 3.5 ppm.

This is the part that confuses me... The TP sensor does not care what pipe you have installed, TP is an arbitrary value. So the new ecm needs to be calibrated to 0. I would think we could accomplish this with a fluke meter.

I am going to start researching this right now, I refuse to take my bike the the dealer and my pipe will be here any day now. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The ECM should not care either, all its looking for is a voltage value that would be = to zero TP, so does anyone have a service manual that provides what voltage the TPS should give out at 0 TP?

Based on this all I can think is that some bike where not set up properly from the get go, because changing the ECM or pipe should not have any effect on the TPS

Or, termi is concerned that it is set properly for mapping. Understand the if the TPS is not set properly it will move the map up or down in relation to the throttle opening. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's starting to look bleak... The TPS is pressed into the throttle body so it's not physically possible to adjust. It would seem at this point that the only way to adjust maybe through their diag tool. I will know by tomorrow.

G

·
copy of PM to other member who installed full system with ecu:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
did you ride the bike to the dealer with the new ecu to have ips and o2 set the instuctions say dont start the bike with the new ecu until ips is set. ?

No, I changed the ecu from EUR to USA and haven't done anything else. I'll have to check those instructions, I didn't see anything about that. Part of the install was to remove the O2 sensor, I thought the new ecu was mapped for the Termi exhaust and took into account the O2 sensor was removed. I'll get back to you though.\ end Quote.

Well I stuck the slip ons on today and am going for a ride up the alpines tomorrow for a couple of days, they fit staight onto the old system. on Monday I'll fit the system and ecu and see what it runs like. I'll take it up to Melbourne and have the dealer set the thing for me then.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Slob, let me know what difference you feel in the bike. I noticed after I installed mine that everything clamed down. No more stalling... It is running little rich. I'm going in for the first service in a couple weeks. I'll have them set it all up then. So far so good though, about 300 miles since slip-on install.

G

·
jsunh2os said:
Slob, let me know what difference you feel in the bike. I noticed after I installed mine that everything clamed down. No more stalling... It is running little rich. I'm going in for the first service in a couple weeks. I'll have them set it all up then. So far so good though, about 300 miles since slip-on install.
oops I thought you installed the complete system not just slip ons. Slip on only should not effect anything if you dont change the air filter, as I was told 'anything after fuel goes in is fine, if you change anything before fuel goes in then you have to re map. ie; carbs or throttle bodies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, here is what I found out.

First even though I have a gas analyzer, I am still unable to adjust CO with only the bleed screws on the throttle body because in the ECM there are CO trim adjustments that need adjustment as well, and can only be accessed by there diag equipment.

For the TPS, the reason it needs to be adjusted is because the new race ECM does not understand where o throttle position is.

So without the Ducati diag. tool I will not be able to make the necessary adjustments.
I am bummed, got to get one of those tools :)

So my dealer (motoscorsa in Portland) said they would tune it while I wait for .7 hour.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone else just plugged it in and ran it. All other ecu's for ducatis are just swap and run. Or is everyone taking it to the dealer for tuning???

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had input since the last post of April 2007???

·
Banned
726 Posts
It does not matter two shits if you plug the race ecu in and drive to the dealer.

The CO and TPS adjustments are just FINE tuning, nothing will explode or burst into flame.

People just get paranoid because they do not fully understand how the FI system works and then listen to people with even less knowledge.

The idle mix is only the idle mix, will not effect riding much, and the TPS sensor adjust is just the ECU being told which value it's seeing from its ADC is approx 4 degrees of throttle.

It should be done but it's nothing to get worked up about, a ride to the dealer will be fine.

That said, if you're unsure about things it never hurts to ask. :)

·
Banned
726 Posts
The ECM should not care either, all its looking for is a voltage value that would be = to zero TP, so does anyone have a service manual that provides what voltage the TPS should give out at 0 TP?

The ECU is looking to be told which numeric value to accept as closed throttle AFTER the voltage has been processed through it's analogue to digital converter.

It does this because a) its a digital system and b) because every sealed trimpot in the TPS will have I tiny variation at manufacture.

Also its not a bad idea to check the idle spped as well.

There is no way to set either other than via software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes the TPS has to be reset by diagnostic equipment used by dealers and you shouls also have the CO (mixture) set as well
PS this was also required on a 999 as well so if it wasnt done it was incorrectly set up
Crap! We’ll wait a sec. I have a 1098 s with OEM exhaust but the ECU has been flashed. Per previous owner. I found a full 70mm Termi sys online for a really good price (used but looks in good condition) and I was hoping to buy it and slap it on without missing a hitch since the ECU had already been done. Guess I’m wrong as shit?? Or????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts