Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ducatisiti

Please help: Got stranded today cos my fuel pump won't switch on... it does not do its "buzz" thing when I hit the button... I opened the seat and the one relay clicks, then clicks again after a few seconds... but the pump won't come on.

Does anyone have a clew how I can fix this without putting the bike on a trailer and paying big bux to the boffin?

Many thanks...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The computer powers the relay to turn the pump on. If after a few seconds if the computer doesn't get a signal that the crankshaft is turning, it de-energizes the relay to turn the pump off.

You hear the relay click twice, so I'm assuming that power is being sent to the pump. Check the in-line connector to the pump under the tank first.

The next step would be to apply 12 volts direct from the battery to the under-tank connector to see if the pump itself is the problem.

There are reports of failure of the wire where it passes through the pump baseplate so wiggle it to see if you can get the pump to run as you cycle the relay on and off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
it could be lots of things, check the fuses, there are relays under the seat that control the pump (will have to research what one), split fuel lines in the tank, fuel filter clogged, wiring problem (check connector under the tank), side stand switch bad, bad kill switch, other things as well but those are the most common ones. if it was running one day wasnt, i would check the easy things like fuses, relay and especially the side stand switch (is one of the most common problems), most people bypass the switch but that isnt a good thing to do, bike can start in gear or with the stand down (not a good thing there).
the side stand switch seems to be the most common problem when the bike suddenly stop running.
go to ducati.ms and look under the hall of wisdom for lots of info on this and many other problems.

make sure you apply 12v to the right 2 wires, there are four pins, 2 for the pump and 2 for the sensor level

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gary... I have checked all the connections they seem fine... will get a friend to come on Saturday with his multimeter etc. so that we can put 12V into the correct wires. I don't have the required auto electrical skills.

Is the fuel filter inside the tank? Should my next port of call be to drain the tank then remove all those bolts underneath it so that I can remove the mechanism? Btw my bike is a 1998 model so the side stand is mercifully free of electronica.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There are 3 allen head bolts holding the pump flange to the tank. Remove then and then screw them into the other 3 holes in flange, which are threaded, to remove the pump/flange/filter as a unit. Be careful of the green O ring. As the flange comes clear you will need to locate the 2 breather hoses connected to the flange, undo their hose clamps and pop the hoses off. It's likely your problem is the wire connections under the epoxy where they go through the flange as Shazaam said. Come back here to get the guys tips on re-installation after you have fixed the problem.

EDIT: It's much simpler to TEST the 4 hole plug for power when the key is turned than it is to apply 12 to the sockets to test the pump. Simple 12v test with a multimeter. If there is power, then the wiring inside the tank or the pump is the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Folks... many thanks for your help... I was lucky enough though to discover it was simply one of the relays under the seat that was broken! So for a mere $12 I installed two new Hella relays to replace the original Bosch ones (clearly only one was broken but at $6 apiece it was worth replacing both) and the fuel pump primed like new!

In case you guys are interested, here is the link:

Ducati 748/916/996 Fuel Pump Relay Replacement ? Scandalon

Can't wait for tomorrow morning to go riding again.

Thanks again guys... hope this helps.

Christopher

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.