Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutch started slipping a little after rebuilding my starter, I found a piece of plastic, maybe a crusty piece of seal or some random locking ring that had lodged in my clutch and a few fried friction plates and steel discs. I had my original clutch kicking around and never liked the way the Barnett I installed felt, so I swapped in the thicker stock steel plates along with three worn sintered friction plates (the Barnett has some pink non metallic material) for a sort of mixed clutch on the cheap. I omited the little half friction disc and two steel spring rings that were in there, that I think were specific to the Barnett clutch but can't remember, I didn't measure my stack height but with the bike hitting 219° today I can still freely shift into neutral etc. So it seems okay but the springs look a little short ( not really a scientific measurement) I'm not too worried and actually like the way the clutch feels for once, much less chatter, I mixed and matched a few plates till I was comfortable with the throw, any downside to this? The bikes a bit of a budget beater so right now I'm happy with the fix, any obvious things I should look out for when setting up a clutch stack?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The height of the stack needs to be in spec. The stack height determines the amount that the springs are compressed, that in turn determines the total force that the springs apply to the plates.

Too little preload/force will result in clutch slippage. The standard test for slipping is to apply full throttle in top gear and see if the revs rise without increasing the forward motion of the bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts