Ducati.org forum banner

821 in the rain

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Zoogleboogle 
#1 ·
Our rainy season is about to hit and I am a little worried about riding my 821 in the rain.

Should I be concerned about the electronics if I get caught in a downpour?

Anything specific to Ducs I should be worried about?

Thanks!

#3 ·
In the Philippines, I already rode the bike from normal rain to torrential rains. No problem. The electronics underneath are well hidden. I think you will only have water problems if you submerge in the flood or power hose wash the bike and hit the electronics underneath.

#9 ·
dvdlock - lots of good riding in Thailand man. Custom bike scene over there is amazing too. I ride in the Philippines, I imagine our climate is very similar. Huge Ducati presence over here.

Draquine - hope to ride with you one of these days!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Thunderstorms everyday now. Took her out for a spin... and rode at a snails pace to be safe. So far so good.

#13 ·
Urban mode. ABS.
Might go with a more road going tire in the future, but not a concern. I just hate getting caught a hundred miles out when a prairie squall swamps the bike.
I slow down some and keep very steady with actions. Tires make all the difference. I had Avon rain tires on my Daytona and the grip was phenomenal. 70/75 all day in hard, steady rain.
I just hate cleaning them after a storm but riding in the rain tells you a lot about your bike and your nerves.

#14 ·
road flooded

Hi , I am also riding in thailand (krabi area) .
As i use my monster to go to work everyday , i run in any weather condition .
Usually no issue , but this morning , the road was flooded , i stopped , hesitated : can i go or not ? A small honda wave passed the flooded area without issue some small car as well : not deep .
Ok if a honda wave can pass , my monster 821 should not have any issue :
Wrong choice :banghead: i went in very slow following the small honda wave : he passed but my engine stopped , i pushed the bike to a dry area , and tried to start : the starter motor was running but the engine did not start .
I called my ducati dealer which is 180 km away ( Phuket) .
He made me check somes plugs next to the choke , under the seat , but i found them all dry , and the engine still did not start... no strange noise : just a normal start noise like if you are in gear and did not put up the stand.
my dealer told me to wait a few hours and then try again ... so i left my bike in front of a restaurant and a friend came to pick me up .
i will go there again this afternoon to see if it finally starts , if not Ducati phuket will have to come and pick up the bike to bring it to the workshop .....
I should have stay in my bed this morning ....
i hope that there is not to much damage... my bike is only 6 month old 10 000 km ...:lightning

#15 ·
Hi , I am also riding in thailand (krabi area) .
As i use my monster to go to work everyday , i run in any weather condition .
Usually no issue , but this morning , the road was flooded , i stopped , hesitated : can i go or not ? A small honda wave passed the flooded area without issue some small car as well : not deep .
Ok if a honda wave can pass , my monster 821 should not have any issue :
Wrong choice :banghead: i went in very slow following the small honda wave : he passed but my engine stopped , i pushed the bike to a dry area , and tried to start : the starter motor was running but the engine did not start .
I called my ducati dealer which is 180 km away ( Phuket) .
He made me check somes plugs next to the choke , under the seat , but i found them all dry , and the engine still did not start... no strange noise : just a normal start noise like if you are in gear and did not put up the stand.
my dealer told me to wait a few hours and then try again ... so i left my bike in front of a restaurant and a friend came to pick me up .
i will go there again this afternoon to see if it finally starts , if not Ducati phuket will have to come and pick up the bike to bring it to the workshop .....
I should have stay in my bed this morning ....
i hope that there is not to much damage... my bike is only 6 month old 10 000 km ...:lightning
Just a word of caution. On the lower right side of the engine there is a filter which I believe is the breather for the horizontal belt cover. It's very low on the bike and would easily take in water.
I don't think for a minute it would have anything to with the engine stopping but I would be inclined to have the cover off and cleaned out before any corrosion sets in.
(Page 40/162 item 21 in the parts catalogue)

#18 ·
Starting again..

I came back to the bike yesterday evening 6 pm to wait for the assistance truck . I tried one last time to start it and it started normally...
Anyway assistance truck was only 5 km away so i sent the bike to the workshop and ask them to check everything spray contact cleaner ect...
When i bought the bike in November 2015 they gave me free 2 years maintenance (or 25 000 km) and the normal 2 years warranty , but no free road side assistance .
So they will charge me for the Bike pick up : 3500 baht ( 110 USD) , repair and checks should be free of charge .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.