Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my 821 Dark last Thursday on Monday went to ride to work would not start, would crank but would not fire. Ducati assist came and got the bike took it to Fraser's they had it for a couple of days and then returned it yesterday (Wednesday) saying they could not replicate the issue, next day (Thursday) I went to ride to work again failed to start has anyone else had issues with not starting on cold mornings. The bike is back at Fraser's again. I took I video if it and showed the technician at Fraser's, no fault codes on dash he seemed unsure as to why it would not start. When the ambient temperature rises the bike starts without issue.

Hopefully will be resolved soon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Dave, Sorry to hear about your issues with the new bike! I have not experienced any problems with mine, although the coldest temperature I would have started it at would have been approx. 5°C .. Just out of interest, what is the ambient temperature that you find you have the firing issues? and what is the temperature you find it then starts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Dave, i am sorry to hear about your starting issues. It sucks to have a brand new bike that's having an issue already! Can you tell me if you have the "Evap Charcoal Cannister" intalled oem on your unit? It is a cannister located on the bottom left side of your engine just in front of your horn. This is installed on to most of North American units regarding regulations and emmisions law. It is not illegal to some countries and therefore not needed. I am in Canada and i had taken this off, not needed! The reason being is that i had a lot of experience issues with this cannister and one of the problems is you could have a hard starting issue if cannister is clogged even when brand new and will create a vacuum through your gas line when cold and loosens up when warms up. It also creates pressure on the gas tank and as time goes by it can distort the shape of the the older Monsters plastic tanks in some. There are a lot of questions and answers on this Evap Charcoil cannister if you google it. Please see link below of one example of why this cannister is removed. Hope this helps and i hope that you get your bike up and running normal. Let us know if your dealer came up with another solution. Btw, good choice of colour, i have the same one!
Poor hot/warm starts for the Panigale - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Dave, i am sorry to hear about your starting issues. It sucks to have a brand new bike that's having an issue already! Can you tell me if you have the "Evap Charcoal Cannister" intalled oem on your unit? It is a cannister located on the bottom left side of your engine just in front of your horn. This is installed on to most of North American units regarding regulations and emmisions law. It is not illegal to some countries and therefore not needed. I am in Canada and i had taken this off, not needed! The reason being is that i had a lot of experience issues with this cannister and one of the problems is you could have a hard starting issue if cannister is clogged even when brand new and will create a vacuum through your gas line when cold and loosens up when warms up. It also creates pressure on the gas tank and as time goes by it can distort the shape of the the older Monsters plastic tanks in some. There are a lot of questions and answers on this Evap Charcoil cannister if you google it. Please see link below of one example of why this cannister is removed. Hope this helps and i hope that you get your bike up and running normal. Let us know if your dealer came up with another solution. Btw, good choice of colour, i have the same one!

Poor hot/warm starts for the Panigale - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

I live in California and I had the same exact issue. If it's cold out the bike struggles to start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Bobby, can you show us a close up of that carbon tank pad? Is it a ducati original part?

And can that silver sticker on the trellis frame be removed?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Leg Carbon Tights Vehicle Leather Sports gear Font Eyewear Personal protective equipment
Here are a couple of pic you want to see Deadcruiser!
I bought this through online at http://www.carbonworld.de/shop/Ducati:::143.html
It is a bit pricey but really excellent matte quality carbon.
As for the stickers, you just need to blow dry it and slowly peel off. I just didn't get around the front part of the trellis frame yet.

Reactions: Deadcruiser

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thx, and the best looking tank protection so far IMO.

Test rode the Monster 821 stripe today, honestly didn't feel much different regarding the fork and windscreen, however I just rode it within the city, 70-80 km/h max.

Didn't order the stripe, just the regular one. Can't wait any longer... aaaaaaaahhhhhrrrrrgggggg.... :ahhh:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Deadcruiser and congrats on the new bike purchase! Which color did you get? I am having my first 1000k service done this weekend and having so much fun with it so far! I came from riding a sportbike and do like the speed and agility on a bike and so far I have no complaints on this unit! In fact, I can ride a little bit longer since it is a more comfortable riding position compared to my previous bike. Anyways, hope you get your bike soon and ride safe!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dave, Sorry to hear about your issues with the new bike! I have not experienced any problems with mine, although the coldest temperature I would have started it at would have been approx. 5°C .. Just out of interest, what is the ambient temperature that you find you have the firing issues? and what is the temperature you find it then starts?
The temperature is not that cold only around 10 degrees Celsius once the ambient temperature increases to above 15 degrees Celsius it starts just fine, I am thinking it is a throttle body positioning issue or fuel mapping problem. But will see what happens when I speak to the dealership today

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

Bike back from the dealership they re-calibrated the throttle position sensor and adjusted other various sensors. Bike now starts without hesitation. Interesting note I do now hear on cold mornings an electronic noise that goes for about 5 seconds when I turn the bike on, did not hear that before and it does not make the noise when the bike is warm. I can assume it is the throttle body driving which will explain why it now starts on cold mornings.

But who knows, cannot see it can only hear it and only guessing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bike back from the dealership they re-calibrated the throttle position sensor and adjusted other various sensors. Bike now starts without hesitation. Interesting note I do now hear on cold mornings an electronic noise that goes for about 5 seconds when I turn the bike on, did not hear that before and it does not make the noise when the bike is warm. I can assume it is the throttle body driving which will explain why it now starts on cold mornings.

But who knows, cannot see it can only hear it and only guessing.
Isn't that fuel pump priming?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got 14 miles on new 821. 75F outside and pulled bike from garage. Failed to start on about 50 tries but eventually did and was flawless thereafter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds like I'll have to do the evap can removal the day my stripe comes in (which every day is "it should have for sure came yesterday) I haven't done a removal on a ducati in a while and forget the process, no parts are involved just plugging a hose w a bolt and yanking hoses out correct?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts