Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My first post is to ask a question that is of course probably overdone haha. But I'm purchasing a new Monster either next week or the week after, and i'm torn between these two. Obviously money no object i'd be getting a 1200s, but i'm trying to be somewhat budget conscious. I'm wondering if anyone has ridden both to compare (i'm trying to secure a test ride of both from the dealer) and found that the 821 was the bike for them? I've owned both a GSXR-600 and currently ride a Yamaha V-Max so obviously I like speed. My concern is that if I save a buck on the 821 i'll be disappointed with the speed. Can anyone argue that I won't? Thanks for any and all opinions and cheers, happy spring!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried both, all three actually if you include the S.
I went for the 821 because I liked the Dark colour.
However, for everyday fun riding i'm happy with the 821.
It has got plenty of acceleration.
For 'quick' rides I pop it into the Sport mode, and you can feel the difference.
For slower group rides, Touring is fine.
In very wet conditions I put it in Urban mode, c/w full DTC and anti lock.
Interestingly, talking to friends with 1200 Monsters and Multistrada's, some of them never bother with the top mode, as it's too brutal 'just suited for track days.'
So in Sport mode, i'm a match for them.
Do you need the extra power in that chassis?
Only you can tell.
Btw, my other bike is a Desmo, so I do like fast riding too :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thinking more about it, if you are after the kick you get from the V-Max, you will love the 1200 as it is brutal when you open it up in Race mode.
Try them both and see what you 'need'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response ChasT! You bring up some good points. Doing the math on it my V-max and the 821 actually have similar power to weight ratios, so what i'd really gain there is an insane handling improvement. I dearly miss carving corners with my GSXR-600. I'm honestly leaning for the 821 simply because of the satin white color with the red frame and rims, it's just so beautiful. Ultimately I think I will need to ride both to decide!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was in a similar position but went with the 821 without test riding the 1200. I now see why some are going for the 1200 for the adjustable suspension and a few other changes.
The forks and shock on the 821 are basic with zero adjustability in the forks, only preload and rebound adjustment in the shock. I personally dont feel the need for more peak power but more torque down low would be nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really depends what your after. 1200S, adjustable suspension, single sided swing arm (Sexy!) 145HP.. I have the 821 in white. Its a great bike for me. The 821 has plenty of power, you could easily lose your license on either bike. Try and ride both, I'm don't think you will be disappointed with the 821..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Man DaveCn....that white and red is sooooo cool. I might have to go that way pending test rides.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I never got to see the white 821 in person, saw the gloss white 1200 and loved the way it looked. Was concerned that the matte white would show up marks too easy and red wheels a pain to keep clean. 821 looks nice in red

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful bike Watky! I actually just made a deposit on a 1200 today. My dealer is about an hour away and the weather over the next week doesn't look real good so I don't know when i'll get up there to pick it up. They agreed to let me test ride both on arrival so I still may end up with an 821 pending that. Super excited though!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice bikes and colour choice guys,

i too was debating between the 1200m or 821m, but at the end i went with the only DARK colour on this models, after having all the colourful bikes i previously had i want to be stealth this time. So far i have been waiting for nicer weather to get a complete evaluation on this new unit. I am sure that i will find out this summer, but so far i did finally got her in the hwy last weekend to see how the wind blast with the small Ducati windscreen ive had put on and to my surprise, it didn't really bothered me much at all. I know the Ducati windscreen is a bit pricey but, this is a keeper for me! i reached to about 120km doing lane changes and all in the hwy and felt good! I can feel great power on this bike and do not care for more in public roads. i had her on Sport mode setting, but was still taking it easy, still breaking it in. I love having to switch qear from 1'st to 2nd gear, it feels like i have nitros or something cause it just kicks lifts off from there without hesitations! Nice torque feel! Btw, shifting gears up or down quikly on this bike felt flawless too, must be the RBW cable set up now vs. hydrolic clutch. i like the softer pull than my previous hydraulic clutch on the 848Evo. I was in my full leathers riding so i felt really confident going up the speed. THIS BIKE IS A MONSTER!!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I test rode the 1200s.
Great bike but it has brutal acceleration. Too much for me at the moment. I just don't want that much power as i would end up in a ditch.
I think for someone with a lot of experience then the 1200s would be fantastic.
I get to use all of the 821's power which is very enjoyable. Unless its wet its in sports mode all the time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I test rode the 1200s.
Great bike but it has brutal acceleration. Too much for me at the moment. I just don't want that much power as i would end up in a ditch.
I think for someone with a lot of experience then the 1200s would be fantastic.
I get to use all of the 821's power which is very enjoyable. Unless its wet its in sports mode all the time.
i agree. and a lot of reviewers are saying the engine of the 821 for the street is better than the 1200.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep. I rode both and went with the 821. Part of it is I wanted the Dark, but also the 1200 requires you to pay a lot more attention with the acceleration to avoid ending up in a ditch. I would probably have ended up leaving it in something other than sports mode to avoid the risk and at that point what's the point of paying the extra money?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Touring mode on the 1200 still has full power, just more progressively. There's plenty of point to that. You really have to twist the throttle to get all the power in that mode. Sport just feels almost like an on/off switch.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Touring mode on the 1200 still has full power, just more progressively. There's plenty of point to that. You really have to twist the throttle to get all the power in that mode. Sport just feels almost like an on/off switch.
821 is exactly the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just about anything Ducati produces has more than enough power for city riding. I like liter bikes simply because they're heavier which helps smooth out the bumps in the road. I can ride longer before my ass hurts. The extra power is a bonus. I usually keep mine in touring mode and will pop it into sports mode on long stretches of open road. I'd buy one of each if I could.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my 821 for about a month and absolutely love it. It has a great sound with the stock pipes and enough power for me. My husband just picked up a new leftover 2014 1200 today. Sound is not the same, a lot quieter but it does have more power. I have ridden everything from cruisers to a ZX14. The 821 is is not wild but twist the throttle and it will go. The brakes are almost too good, gotta learn to go easy on them. Either way you go you will love it. Comfortable and great looking bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.