Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
Does anyone know if the harnesses between the bikes are largely the same where an 1198 ecu will plug into an 848 connector? Looking at a motor swap for an 848 evo that spun some bearings.... Figured an 1198 motor with throttle bodies and intake would further just require an ecu swap.

Thanks all

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Hey all
Does anyone know if the harnesses between the bikes are largely the same where an 1198 ecu will plug into an 848 connector? Looking at a motor swap for an 848 evo that spun some bearings.... Figured an 1198 motor with throttle bodies and intake would further just require an ecu swap.

Thanks all
I think as long as they are both base models, it should work, but not 100% sure. I know if the bike has TC, it wouldn't work, or if it doesn't but the ECU came from one that does, same thing.

If you need one though, I have a stock ECU from my 1198 (base model) that was flashed for slip-on map, that I can sell you for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think as long as they are both base models, it should work, but not 100% sure. I know if the bike has TC, it wouldn't work, or if it doesn't but the ECU came from one that does, same thing.

If you need one though, I have a stock ECU from my 1198 (base model) that was flashed for slip-on map, that I can sell you for pretty cheap.
Thanks for the response and the offer, I'll definitely get in touch should the swap become reality!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
You might also need some exhaust bits for that swap. These swaps are often 'tripped up' by some detail parts that are different.

Odd stuff like the clutch master or suchlike.

Best if you can check it out with someone who has done the same mod before you commit. I haven't done this exact swap, but would be surprised if it was as simple as you hope.

But good luck with it. It will pull a lot harder..

;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I looked into this when i had my bike tuned at ducati indy. Rear wheel, eccentric hub, engine, exhaust, and intake stacks. Maybe the air box too, or it needs modified, or not at all. I can't remember exactly. That's the list i was given. ECU can be flashed to an 1198 map. Though if it were me and I were doing this, I would just have a custom tune made which your ECU is fine for. It's an extra couple hundred bucks on an already 4k~ swap and you'll have a better feeling bike out of it. A proper tuned bike can make even a stock bike all that much different.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
So it looks like you need an 1198 ECU then if you're going to put an 1198 engine in it.

Reactions: vfrman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it looks like you need an 1198 ECU then if you're going to put an 1198 engine in it.
Kinda sorta. He actually had more luck firing the bike up with the stock 848 ECU, with obvious ignition timing and fuel pitfalls. It wouldn't even start with a 1098 ECU because of the bike config not being compatible with the rest of his 848.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Kinda sorta. He actually had more luck firing the bike up with the stock 848 ECU, with obvious ignition timing and fuel pitfalls. It wouldn't even start with a 1098 ECU because of the bike config not being compatible with the rest of his 848.
That's interesting...though doesn't make much sense. What else could there be to it? After all the ECU just controls the engine. The harness just connects the 2, along with other stuff, but that other stuff should be the same (all it is is lights, and other sensors).

Well, if you end up doing an 1198 engine swap and you find out you do need an ECU and the wiring harness, I have both for sale :D

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
That's interesting...though doesn't make much sense. What else could there be to it? After all the ECU just controls the engine. The harness just connects the 2, along with other stuff, but that other stuff should be the same (all it is is lights, and other sensors).

Well, if you end up doing an 1198 engine swap and you find out you do need an ECU and the wiring harness, I have both for sale :D
If you remember Rub on my previous engine swap

Going from an 848 EVO to a 848 non-EVO I purchased a non EVO ECU plugged it in and nothing I put the EVO ECU in and the bike fired right up. The only thing I could conclude was the Harness on was different from the EVO to the non EVO. I ended up using the EVO harness with an EVO ECU on a non EVO engine.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If you remember Rub on my previous engine swap

Going from an 848 EVO to a 848 non-EVO I purchased a non EVO ECU plugged it in and nothing I put the EVO ECU in and the bike fired right up. The only thing I could conclude was the Harness on was different from the EVO to the non EVO. I ended up using the EVO harness with an EVO ECU on a non EVO engine.
I forgot you had that issue. It didn't even attempt to start? Still makes me wonder why, but hey...learn something new every day.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the dash display? I wouldn't think so, but I can't think of anything else that would be different.

·
Registered
555 Posts

The ECU controls everything from the temp the cooling fans come on to what rev the limiter intervenes. There's a lot of interface with the motor and dashboard. The throttle position sensor needs to be calibrated for any ECU swap.
The 848/848 evo/ 1089/1198 will all have different configurations.(as some pins may have a different function or no function at all) Smart money would buy a Microtec. The Microtec can be configured for any Ducati model from 2002 on by anyone that owns a laptop. You can load/build/customize any map you want with any laptop. You can do a "self map" at any track with the lambda sensors and a shitty laptop. You can also, for example, do a 998 configuration with an 1198 map, or any combination you want.You can go in and set your rev limiter anywhere too. Like suppose you do a balance/blueprint. Now you can move the rev limiter up a thousand rpm.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry about that rant^... it bugs me that manufacturers feel the need to lock you out of the most important, most adjustable, and most modified piece of your motorcycle. I mean, even if one wants to do slip-ons, the ECU needs to be "flashed" or changed. Even then its a best guess, in the ball park map.. maybe. You could buy a piggyback system like bazzaz or power commander, but you still can't acess the machine's most vital part. And you can't change /alter/configure vital functions of the ECU

·
Registered
555 Posts
And i forgot mention, the Microtec can store 2 maps. So, say you wanna practice or do a track day, you can use a pump gas map. Then, Sunday morning, just push a button on the dashboard and switch to the race gas map.
Not to mention, you can store as many different maps as you want on your laptop, and download easily.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.