Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is an 08. Voltage regulator was replaced between late 08-early 09. My battery is new. I've been observing the voltage on the IC and it seems to have the following symptoms. With ignition on voltage on IC is at 12v. Bike starts voltage goes to 13.8-14.1V. 10 mins into a ride I check the voltage again while at a stop and voltage is at 11.8-12.2V. As I reach my destination which is about a total of 15-20 min ride the voltage still remains at 11.8-12.2V. I turn the engine off and restart it again and voltage goes back to 13.8-14.1V.

It seems like a voltage regulator going bad or a stator issue. Any thoughts on how to diagnose this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
When you stop, is the bike running or is the bike off?

If the voltage regulator is working fine, it will show around 14v. If it's not, then it will drop below 12v in some cases. But remember, the voltage regulator doesn't do anything when the bike is off. So it's important to do all your checking whilst the engine is running. I'd also use a multimeter and not rely on the dash board as your only diagnostic tool.

If I were to hazard a guess… if the battery is 100% brand new and known to be good, then you've simply got another bad VR.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The voltage drops to 11.8-12.2v while the engine is running. I researched a bit after posting and saw a thread similar to mine and I think Shazzam's response if quite dead on:
"No, it's extremely rare that the windings of the stator itself are the problem. The most likely cause is the three wires from the stator have damaged insulation and are shorting together at higher voltages when the engine is running at higher rpm. When they short together the regulator is usually damaged which is why you needed two replacements.

The insulation gets damaged from heat generated by a loose or corroded connector at the stator/regulator connection. The wiring adjacent to the connector will usually appear browned and the common mistake is to only replace the discolored portion of the stator wiring.

The correct and permanent solution is to replace the stator wires all the way back to the engine casing and to solder the connections at the stator/regulator interface, thereby eliminating the troublesome connector"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts