Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's officially Friday, December 14, 2007.

I'm sure a lot are going to the debut for test rides and such. Thought I'd create one thread to place all the different info/impressions and feedback instead of 10 threads repeating the same thing. I'll be posting up my own impressions after this weekend as well.

So what are some of yours? Post up after you've visited your Ducati dealer!

· Registered
181 Posts
Just came from the dealer. The white is awesome. it needs to have a carbon belly pan and front fender. other than that it looks great. I did get to ride about 3-4 miles but it was 37 degrees here in KY. the bike is super light even compared to my 1098. power delievery is perfect. clutch pulls with ease. sounds like a higher pitched 1098 without the clutch rattle. i almost wish i would have waited for the 848 just because it is more usable on the street. i didn't get the bike over 7000rpm b/c of the break-in period and its not mine. also cold super corsa pros are not that great on cold asphalt. it still felt like it had good power. wish i could think of more. if anone has any specific questions feel free to ask.

· Registered
34 Posts
Went to dealer today, didn't get to take it for a ride... It might have had something to do with the temp outside being a balmy 6 degrees! But they had a red 848 roped off because it was already paid for today...But I talked the guy into letting me sit on it and start it up, I am in love with the bike and the way it sounds! Thought it would be more high pitched and pingy but sounds great, nice and deep. Not as deep as a 1098 but still sounds great! Can't wait to get mine in Jan/Feb.... I found out today that I am the only one in MN with a deposit down on a white one, everyone else has deposits on red ones....So lucky me, I get the first one! :) Would love to hear more impressions of how it rides though from other people.

· Registered
2,469 Posts
I didn't get a test ride(it was 30 deg out so I'm ok with that)but a good time was had by all thanks to Bruce and the crew at Motohio.
An exclusive pizza and beer 848 pre-release party just for the Desmohio club, it doesn't get much better for December in Ohio.

· Registered
4,337 Posts
NICE!

Weather is $hit here in PA, I am not even going to the deal since there is no way in hell I am going to be able to ride her. =[

Jason

· Registered
944 Posts
my dealer didn't have a white for the launch party. So he had a red, next to a red hyper, next to a red 1098. Looks nice but to much of a match to the 1098. I'm looking for something a little different.

· Registered
23 Posts
Well, got to take one for a 15+ minute ride on Dec 15th at Ducati of Modesto... First impression was the ride height is better than my '07 600RR, the 848 feels well balanced and fits me very well ergonomically... which is kind of weird because before this Honda's have always fit me the best out of all the superbikes. (I’m 5’8” with about a 30” inseam and weight about 170lbs) The rake does not seem as aggressive as my 600RR so I did not get any wrist pain or fatigue what so ever on the demo ride (the worst rake by far is the Daytona 675 and it miles away from that). Power and torque curve is amazing... very smooth and linier. Breaks felt smooth and non aggressive / not grabby, but I did do some hard breaking and they definitely would be sufficient enough for any track day... if doing track days, I would suggest upgrading the pads. The bike feels very narrow and flickable much like the 675 but with out the twitchiness.

I followed Gary, a Ducati of Modesto employee on a base model 1098. We hit some nice tight turns and some long straights, as well as city traffic, so I got a good feel for the bike in various conditions. Coming out one of the tighter turns was a good long straight, so as we exiting the turn I saw Gary wrap on the throttle of the 1098, so I said to myself hhhuuummm:devil:… game on and I went for it! Amazingly the 1098 was barely pulling on the 848. For reference, Gary on the 1098 is about the same height and weight as me so there was no real weight advantage / disadvantage. NOTE: Unlike some of the 848 reviews that say the 848 does not feel as aggressive as the inline 4’s… I can say she has more tendencey to power wheelie when getting on it than my 600RR:yo:.

Modesto Ducati also had a dyno on hand, and was privy to see the 848 dyno run first hand, which obtained 116hp to the rear wheel. I also watched a 2007 fully stock Kawasaki ZX6r which only obtained 100hp to the rear, and 2006 Suzuki GSXR with slip-on and powercommander which obtained 105hp to the rear. I forgot what the torque numbers were but you could definitely see the torque by the way the 848 pulled on the dyno compaired to the other bikes.

Sorry I did not bring a camera but for your reference I did ride the “faster” red version 848 :stickpoke

Well, end all conclusion the 848 has raised the bar, and in my opinion the all the inline 600’s definitely have something to worry about, but only time will tell.

Looks like my 600RR is on it way out… here I come 848! Here are some pics of me on my 600RR…
http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3169jo8.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3170vn9.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3171jl9.jpg
http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4134fi1.jpg

My Honda is one hell of a bike and has built up damn near like a factory ride, but in the same token, I am willing to send her on her way after riding the 848, so as you can see there is no doubt to the impression the 848 has left on me… bye-bye inline 4’s :bandit: :D

Also would like to add, Modesto Ducati has some of the nicest people I have met working there... answered all my questions, put me on the bike for the demo as soon as I showed up, took me on a hell of a lot longer ride that the typical spin around the block demo, and invited me back to take the 1098, Hypermotard and 848 out for even longer demo rides! I have heard nothing but good things about Modesto Ducati and now I see why… Thanks Modesto Ducati!

· Registered
138 Posts
I am so sold on the 848... but then again the new R6 is like $3,000 less... so think of the goodies I could get for it! But then again I want a Twin.

It is interesting how Ducati is like 10 times more generous with test rides then the typical Big 4 dealers...

· Registered
2,031 Posts
Geez,

I wouldn't know how to arrange the photo's like that even if I tried... It does make reading the thread awfully difficult. Even makes posting a reply require extra effort...

· Registered
23 Posts
Here it is again but on the second page... so the photos from the previous post shouldn't interfer with the text.

joeyrotorhead said:
Well, got to take one for a 15+ minute ride on Dec 15th at Ducati of Modesto... First impression was the ride height is better than my '07 600RR, the 848 feels well balanced and fits me very well ergonomically... which is kind of weird because before this Honda's have always fit me the best out of all the superbikes. (I’m 5’8” with about a 30” inseam and weight about 170lbs) The rake does not seem as aggressive as my 600RR so I did not get any wrist pain or fatigue what so ever on the demo ride (the worst rake by far is the Daytona 675 and it miles away from that). Power and torque curve is amazing... very smooth and linier. Breaks felt smooth and non aggressive / not grabby, but I did do some hard breaking and they definitely would be sufficient enough for any track day... if doing track days, I would suggest upgrading the pads. The bike feels very narrow and flickable much like the 675 but with out the twitchiness.

I followed Gary, a Ducati of Modesto employee on a base model 1098. We hit some nice tight turns and some long straights, as well as city traffic, so I got a good feel for the bike in various conditions. Coming out one of the tighter turns was a good long straight, so as we exiting the turn I saw Gary wrap on the throttle of the 1098, so I said to myself hhhuuummm:devil:… game on and I went for it! Amazingly the 1098 was barely pulling on the 848. For reference, Gary on the 1098 is about the same height and weight as me so there was no real weight advantage / disadvantage. NOTE: Unlike some of the 848 reviews that say the 848 does not feel as aggressive as the inline 4’s… I can say she has more tendencey to power wheelie when getting on it than my 600RR:yo:.

Modesto Ducati also had a dyno on hand, and was privy to see the 848 dyno run first hand, which obtained 116hp to the rear wheel. I also watched a 2007 fully stock Kawasaki ZX6r which only obtained 100hp to the rear, and 2006 Suzuki GSXR with slip-on and powercommander which obtained 105hp to the rear. I forgot what the torque numbers were but you could definitely see the torque by the way the 848 pulled on the dyno compaired to the other bikes.

Sorry I did not bring a camera but for your reference I did ride the “faster” red version 848 :stickpoke

Well, end all conclusion the 848 has raised the bar, and in my opinion the all the inline 600’s definitely have something to worry about, but only time will tell.

Looks like my 600RR is on it way out… here I come 848! Here are some pics of me on my 600RR…
http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3169jo8.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3170vn9.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3171jl9.jpg
http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4134fi1.jpg

My Honda is one hell of a bike and has built up damn near like a factory ride, but in the same token, I am willing to send her on her way after riding the 848, so as you can see there is no doubt to the impression the 848 has left on me… bye-bye inline 4’s :bandit: :D

Also would like to add, Modesto Ducati has some of the nicest people I have met working there... answered all my questions, put me on the bike for the demo as soon as I showed up, took me on a hell of a lot longer ride that the typical spin around the block demo, and invited me back to take the 1098, Hypermotard and 848 out for even longer demo rides! I have heard nothing but good things about Modesto Ducati and now I see why… Thanks Modesto Ducati!

· Registered
15 Posts
I took one for a test ride a few days ago. I'm shopping at the moment and the only other similar bikes I've ridden are a few RC51's and an RSV 1000.

I rode the 848 after getting off an MV Agusta 312. Obviously there was a power difference so the 848 felt a little slow.

I found the Ducati to be one of the most comfortable sportbikes I have ever ridden. Even more so than the RSV1000. The wet clutch felt better than anything else i have used and the bike was very easy to ride in the friction zone at slow speeds. It revs quicker than I expected and the low speed fueling felt very good. It wasnt abrupt at all when picking up the throttle after deceleration.

The demo I rode had 250 miles on the clock(about 60 demo rides on the bike) but I had instructions from the shop to beat it up a bit so I did. The bike would loft the front wheel at about 7K in first gear If i whacked the throttle open from low revs. Brakes were great, steering was great. My only real reservation about the bike is that it can't be had with ohlins suspension front and rear. The suspension felt fine during the 20 minute ride, but i want and need the adjustability. Having said that I fully understand what Ducati is trying to do with the bike and I think it will work for them.

I think it will be the 1098s or the MV 312 for me.

· Registered
34 Posts
Just got back from my dealer and they told me my white 848 will be here monday morning... :) First one in the state and it's all mine! Can't wait to get it and take it for a little spin in the balmy 20 degree temps we are having right now

· Registered
93 Posts
Well, I just finished my third day (first full day ... loggin in 300 miles almost on the button) on the 848. I'm now at 500 miles even and 1 more trip to do the 600 mile service and I'll be able to open her up bit. Here's what I found in my first 500 miles aboat the beut pearl white.

I live in So Cal and mornings are 44, days are 60 and nights are 34 degrees. I have studied the 1098 postings (all 73 or so pages over the past week) and will respond as follows:

Again, I am 5'8, about 160, riding all types since 12, primarily Ninjas all sizes, all my life. After 500 miles, I have never had so much fun and been so proud of a materialistic possession. Currently own a 2005 ocean blue Kawi ZZR 1200 and a red Victory Kingpin 2006.

First, no stalling AT ALL (not to jinx it). Never once, in stop and go, red lights, rest stops, etc. Have done 500 miles of basically mountain canyon twisties, both tight and swoopy. But to get there had to do So CAl traffic. Never once. Idled wonderfully since day 1.

Second, never had brakes bite ... braking is strong, smooth, predictable. Let me repeat ... smooth, predictable. Brems work well.

Third, never had a problem starting ... not once since I left dealer. At most, it took 3 attempts one time (and I am NOT using the gas). I wait a good 15 seconds, hit the starter firmly, leave 2-3 seconds and she comes to life. When I am about to take a rest I let her go back up to 168 degrees and turn her off.

Fourth, no popping ( maybe a little here and there decelerating in second or first) and no false neutrals between fifth and sixth.

Firth, Perellis' very planted once broken in. Almost draggin knees in 50 degree or colder mountains (sunny though).

Sixth, no head shake (at all ) at 97. Keeping it under 6,000 RPMS. No stearing dampner but for now, I feel very planted on this bike.

Seventh, long fast sweepers feel firm, confidence inspiring even with the amazing light weight and "flickability" of the bike.

Eight, puting on average 2.7 gallons in and running about 85 miles at this point between fill ups. Then reservoir light comes on. Not riding hard though, or I am riding hard within break in parameters.

Ninth, engine is smooth and very linear. Again, only takin up to 6K at this point, never higher. I'm used to a I4, 1,164 Kawi. That being said, I feel this engine is plenty strong for the weight. Plus, its apples to oranges. ITs a diff ride, totally.

Tenth, yes mirrors suck. I don't care. I can see out of the very tip top corner if I move and thats fine for now.

Eleventh, 4,5,6th gear under 4000 rpms feels like Duc is struggling so in 4,5,6 stay about 4K. Otherwise under 3K in 3rs, 2nd you start stressing the engine a bit I say. This bikes starts at 4,000 RPM's. BUt I'm trying to ensure I firmly let the bike decelerate all the way down to 2,500 or so during the first 600 here.

AT 40-60 degrees F, engine running 141 to 148 degrees. But I'm always moving. In the summer I do believe heat against rider in traffic or slow speeds will be is an issue.

Well, thats it from So Cal. Did 300 miles today and I actually feel fine. I will be looking at Heli bars, SArgent seat and rearset footpegs but once I got used to the riding position, I literarly was able ride hard all day and I wish I had more time now.

Good luck to all. ITs a winner. We got lucky ... !

· Registered
93 Posts
Thats awesome 08white. Same happened to me. Not due till Jan or something, guy before me fell through and bam, by 01.01.2008 I'm takin her out post 1st oil change / service. Good feelin.

BTW ... forgot ... I find that the wet clutch pulls very easy and smooth and, of course, quite ... which for me actually was preferrable. MY legs were tired before my left wrist was. And it does seem the engine gets smoother the more miles you log. I think and 1098 blogs say bike does run better after 1st and 2nd service.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Alvin! I thinkwe all need your help in resizing this thread...something is terribly wrong: we have to scroll to the right to read anything...HELP!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.