Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching this but i cant seem to get an answer from the prior posts. I know with the DP kit it comes with a slipper clutch. it is possible to put a non slipper clutch instead? like from a hyper motard or 1098 which comes with a standard dry clutch.

Looking at the parts list of the DP kit its really just OEM parts from either a 1098/Hyper/Monster etc to get the dry clutch. other than the slipper itself.

Thanks

Carlo

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The input shaft from the transmission doesn't have an oil seal on it. So Ducati made a special nut with an oil seal built into it. However, in order to make it work and be reliable, its a larger diameter with a taper on it. That taper has to go into the hub of the clutch. If the clutch hub doesn't have a hole for the taper, then it won't work.

So no, the 848 dry clutch conversion kit is a slipper only.

Yes, you could make your own oil seal system and forego the conversion kit by using Hypermotard parts. But thats a lot of machining and high potential for push rod seal failure. That kinda ruins your day because the oil leaks right onto the clutch pack and it goes down hill from there.

What's the problem with a slipper anyway?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Converted my 848 to a DP dry slipper last year. Don't know why you couldn't use a non slipper if you want,but maybe someone else can verify. The key part in the DP kit is the side case that allows you to go from wet to dry. For what it's worth, the DP slipper has worked well for me and I prefer it over a non slipper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing wrong with the slipper. I am trying to see if possible to piece the kit together with some used parts, so instead of using the slipper clutch get a regular non slipper.

I got a parts breakdown of the kit. and looking at it minus the new bearings and such. The biggest ticket items are the primary gear set ($632) , clutch engine cover ($593), clutch cover ($229), Clutch Plates ($229), and i think this is the slipper assembly CAMPANA FRIZIONE A SECCO RDP ($189)

a quick search on fleabay clutch cover and primary gears set can be had for way less that OEM prices.

C

·
Registered
109 Posts
The wet clutch engines have a much shorter transmission input shaft so the DP inner hub is made shallower so the special nut can go on. To use used dry parts you'll need to split the cases and use a 1098 shaft (uses same gears).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wet clutch engines have a much shorter transmission input shaft so the DP inner hub is made shallower so the special nut can go on. To use used dry parts you'll need to split the cases and use a 1098 shaft (uses same gears).
ducshop. thanks that makes sense. so in reality,the only really special part is the dp inner hub and the special nut.(which is part of the Slipper assembly). the rest is pretty ducati parts bin.

·
Registered
99 Posts
what is the advantage of the clutch conversion. Sorry prob a dumb question. Is it like changing a normal car clutch to a brass button clutch so its either in or out and no in between (no riding the clutch)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
what is the advantage of the clutch conversion. Sorry prob a dumb question. Is it like changing a normal car clutch to a brass button clutch so its either in or out and no in between (no riding the clutch)
Wet clutches contaminate the engine oil with used friction material as it wears. Wet clutches are also harder to work on because they're bathed in oil, which means more sealed from the outside world. However, wet clutches wear less AND are smoother engaging.

Dry clutches are easier to maintain and have no contact with the oil, so no contamination of the oil. But there are no other positives at all, dry clutches wear substantially quicker AND can be heavier because of the need to put a gap between the engine oil and the outside world.

Outside of those reasons, the clutch assembles are nearly identical in every single way. Its only the clutch plates which are different, to accept the oil working condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts