Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,

I'll start off by saying I'm a new member to the site but have been using it as a reference in my... quest to buy a new 848 EVO. I'm hoping some of you more experienced/knowledgeable ducati owners can answer some questions for me. I'm deployed and am paying for a 848 EVO in order to have it ready to ride as soon as a return home. With that said i can't help but look at the possibilities for my new beauty, but am finding little guidance on what i should be upgrading (and i've been scouring the interwebz). I started off with Termi slip ons for the obvious reasons, performance, aesthetics, and ease of integration. But now I'm torn on what I could or should do to make her all my own. That's where you guys hopefully come in. So I'm laying out a list of what I'd like to do and am looking for pointers on specific brands, and advice as to whether or not these upgrades are worth it.

and the list goes as follows:

Windscreen (looking for increased wind protection)

Fender Eliminator

Levers

Grips

Heat shields

Seat (for a little more comfort)

I'm looking at taking a cross country trip early next year hence the windscreen and more comfortable seat. Crazy idea on a Duc, I know, but I'd rather get maximum enjoyment out of the experience and to do that i want to be on a sportsbike. Also, once I become permanently stationed back in the US I intend to hit track days as much as possible, so any modifications that would improve performance in that area would be great to know. I'm not the most experienced rider but I want to learn and grow as a rider and owner and ensure that my Duc is the best it can be.

Thanks,
Frosty

·
Registered
276 Posts
I dunno how comfortable you'll be doing a cross country trip on a Ducati Superbike but

Screen - I like the Zero Gravity Double Bubble dark smoke screens

Levers - CRG and Pazzo shorties are awesome though I've seen heaps of the cheap chinese knockoffs and they look very similar. The gixxer thread about the guy that put some on and had his front brake lock up is just a squid who obviously had no idea what they were doing.

Rizoma for grips is what I'm told though don't have any

The DP Superpole seat is supposed to be quite comfy even though it's designed for track use. Might need some more research ;)

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I have the Rizoma lux grips; they look awesome and tighten up the throttle response but they aren't much for comfort. I also have CRG shorties that I would recommend to anybody as long as you have strong hands... if not, get the longer ones. They're slightly better quality than my wife's Pazzos IMO. Finally, rearsets make a big difference. I couldn't be happier with my Woodcrafts, for the money. You also may want to consider Helibars. My bike came with them already installed.

·
Banned
782 Posts
bike doesnt need anything to have a blast on and ride.

i did grab on grips and lowered the clutch and brake levers for better ergos.

I might take reflectors off, to busy riding to worry about little things

·
Registered
333 Posts
My Latest Modes to my EVO 848 - New Carbon Bitz installed and HID Lights

& NEW HID Lighs from 1OFFmotorsports

Next is Termi Slipons, Some Levers, Clutch Slaves - and Ummmmmmmhhhhhh Rear Sets :naughty:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Just fitted Termi slip-ons and the DP ECU to an Evo this afternoon, and it has really lifted its performance. Pretty loud though. It's almost louder than my 1098 with the full system, and revvier of course. I don't think the newer (shorter) slash-cut Termis knock back the decibels as well as the earlier (longer) Termis.
Have to disagree with those who can't/won't do trips on a Ducati Superbike. They are excellent mile-eaters. Just back from a 4,500 km trip (see thread 'An Excellent Trip').
1,450 kms (about 910 mi) on the last day to get home. All they really need for this is the larger (ETI) tank, and a higher screen (I got the DP one).
Mind you, an airseat would be nice..

·
Registered
48 Posts
848 mods

if i was you i go and visit dan kyles website some new 30mm offsets ohlins ttx rear shock ohlins fgrt front forks and a full 70mm termi system with ecu and if you have any cash left over a set of bst rims then your motoring buddy:drummer:

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of the cheapest and best mods is a 14 tooth front sprocket, a rear hugger will help keep it a bit cleaner too. I find the seat ok way more comfortable on a long ride than my old GSXR which suprised me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
if i was you i go and visit dan kyles website some new 30mm offsets ohlins ttx rear shock ohlins fgrt front forks and a full 70mm termi system with ecu and if you have any cash left over a set of bst rims then your motoring buddy:drummer:
Now that's spending some cake!:yo:

One of the cheapest and best mods is a 14 tooth front sprocket, a rear hugger will help keep it a bit cleaner too. I find the seat ok way more comfortable on a long ride than my old GSXR which suprised me.
I'd have to disagree here. My 05' gsxr 1K has a more comfy oem seat imo.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
If you're touring 30mm offsets are a terrible idea.:stickpoke You won't gain any functionality except on the track and the bike will be less stable. Not to mention it's around $800.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input

Thanks for the input thus far guys. My initial focus will be to improve comfort a bit without sacrificing performance. As for the performance upgrades I'll keep the suggestions in mind and once i get comfortable with the bike and can figure out what i want to improve ill keep the tips in mind about the sprockets, forks, shocks and so on. Also good to hear that I'm not the only crazy guy that wants/does do long trips on his Duc :loser:. I'm mapping out my route now and am looking for suggestions on some good scenery/twisty bits/ good places to stop/ starting from Texas, all the way up north, over to the west coast, down cali coast and back to texas. Help me out and point out some of your favorite places for me please. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the input thus far guys. My initial focus will be to improve comfort a bit without sacrificing performance. As for the performance upgrades I'll keep the suggestions in mind and once i get comfortable with the bike and can figure out what i want to improve ill keep the tips in mind about the sprockets, forks, shocks and so on. Also good to hear that I'm not the only crazy guy that wants/does do long trips on his Duc :loser:. I'm mapping out my route now and am looking for suggestions on some good scenery/twisty bits/ good places to stop/ starting from Texas, all the way up north, over to the west coast, down cali coast and back to texas. Help me out and point out some of your favorite places for me please. :D
Northeast entrance into Yellow Stone National Park (twisted road up the side of a mountain into the park) - purely amazing. (Beartooth Hwy in WY is what its called) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...413,-109.417648&spn=0.13562,0.308647&t=h&z=12 Just look at that road.

RT129 from the border of NC to TN (ie Deals Gap - The Dragon)

Redwood National Forest Highway from Oregon into CA

Hwy 101 down the CA coast

It all really depends on what states you want to go through and where. You can always also invest into MAD MAPs. Also do a google search for National Scenic Byways. They are roads that are isolated and have plenty of twists to them.

http://www.byways.org/

as you can see there is a shit load of them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey, the bike isn't "less stable" with those Triples. I installed mine last month and have ZERO negative comments about them. The turn in wonderfully and make the bike behave like it should. I don't have the Rake and Trail numbers memorized, but again the bike tracks straight and true. I don't have any handling woes because of those Dan Kyle Triples.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since you are planning to do track days (or even if you weren't), I would work on the suspension first. Set up correctly, it will help you ride smoother and faster with more confidence.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one question with something im seeing come up all the time. What advantages/disadvantages does the 14t sprocket offer over the 15t? ive been searching like mad to find out why so many make that change.
thanks

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
one question with something im seeing come up all the time. What advantages/disadvantages does the 14t sprocket offer over the 15t? ive been searching like mad to find out why so many make that change.
thanks
Well...there should be enough discussions around here....but in short words...it makes it a bit easier to ride in city traffic at the expense of losing top end speed...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's my build sheet:

Nate’s 2011 Ducati 848evo Build Sheet (Future plans in parenthesis)
Tires Pirelli Supercorsa SP
Wheels OEM (BST Carbon Fibre)
Brake Calipers OEM Brembo Monobloc
Front Brake Rotors OEM Brembo (Braketech Axis)
Rear Brake Rotors OEM Brembo
Brake Pads OEM (Ferodo)
Front Brake OEM Brembo
Rear Brake OEM Brembo
Front Suspension OEM Showa (Ohlins 30mm cartridges)
Rear Suspension OEM Showa, GP Suspension adjustable ride height linkage (Ohlins TTX tuned by GP Suspension)
Front Sprocket Steel 14 tooth sprocket (Lightened 14t)
Rear Sprocket and Carrier OEM (lightened quick change)
Chain OEM (520 conversion)
Frame OEM
Swingarm OEM
Subframe OEM (Aluminum monoposto)
Triple Clamp OEM (Adjustable)
Steering Damper OEM Non Adjustable (Ohlins adjustable)
Bodywork Catalyst Racing Composits Supersport Spec
Paint Color Rite OEM Color Match Dark Stealth
Windscreen Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Air Filter K&N
Airbox OEM
Engine OEM
Transmission OEM
Battery OEM (lightened)
Coolant Water with Redline Water Wetter
Brake Fluid Motul RBF600
Engine Oil Motorex Power Synt 10W-50
Clutch OEM (Yoyodyne slipper)
Clutch Master Cylinder OEM Brembo
Clutch Slave Cylinder STM 30mm
Fuel Injection Management System Bazzaz Z-Fi TC
Quick Shifter Bazzaz QS
Engine Management System OEM (Reflashed ECU)
Exhaust Akrapovic EVO titanium
Rearsets CRG SSR
Clip-ons OEM (Speedy Moto adjustable)
Upper fairing stay Aluminum
Levers CRG “Roll-a-Click” non-folding
Crash Protection Speedy Moto under body work frame sliders, Speedy Moto wet clutch cover, Speedy Moto water pump housing, (Speedy Moto front axle sliders)
Miscellaneous Bazzaz TC/Map select, Wet/Dry TC maps, Custom fuel map, Speedy Moto sprocket cover, Competition Werkes fender eliminator, Solo cowl, Side stand jumper, Cox Racing Group radiator/oil cooler/case guard, (Carbon Fibre bits, Stomp Grip)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts