Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Bought a used 2012 848 EVO one year ago. After a good season and a long winter, I decide to change the oil on it today.

Pull off the fairings, look under it, and... weird. There's no oil drain plug bolt. Not even a hole for one. Just a plate held on by four bolts and what looked like some sealant.

I managed to take that off instead and completed the oil change, but what the hell is going on here? I get the sense that the previous owner stripped the plug and replaced it with this... would that make sense?

I put the plate back on and ran the bike, let it warm up, gave it revs, even took it to redline and it's not leaking... but I'm a little nervous now...

Thanks for your help. Pics attached of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The drain plug is adjacent to the sump filter plate.

It is clearly visible in your pics - just towards the top of the first two shots.

It takes a 5 mm Allen key, and has a (weak) magnet attached on its inner end.

Be sure to equalise its temperature to that of the crankcase before tightening, as they can become seized.

A drain plug which has been cleaned in solvent and blown off with compressed air will be very cold.

If you warmed the engine to drain the oil (as is recommended) the crankcase will still be warm, and slightly expanded.

The trick is to do up the drain plug fingertight, and do the final tighten a few minutes later.

And to not forget the final tighten..

:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy shit I'm stunned. Just fucking stupid.

I don't know why I assumed the oil drain plug would have a bolt fitting... not a fitting for an allen wrench. I guess because my old bike was like the former.

Goddamn it.

Oh well... now that that's sorted... I don't thing there would be an issue doing the oil change the moronic way I did, would there?

Feel free to laugh at the new guy... I am.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No problems Thomas.

You're lucky the previous owner replaced the bolts on that plate you took off.

They usually break and strip and need replacing anyway.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, no worries. An oil change is an oil change, even if you split the cases to do it :)

At least you found the oil fill plug...

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Holy shit I'm stunned. Just fucking stupid.

I don't know why I assumed the oil drain plug would have a bolt fitting... not a fitting for an allen wrench. I guess because my old bike was like the former.

Goddamn it.

Oh well... now that that's sorted... I don't thing there would be an issue doing the oil change the moronic way I did, would there?

Feel free to laugh at the new guy... I am.
No laughter - no-one knows it all. Well, maybe just one member.. :eek:

And no - no issue in changing the oil the way you did. If you removed and cleaned the sump filter you have done something that needs doing every once in a while.

The only thing you didn't do was clean the magnet on the plug, and that can wait until next time. (That is best cleaned with compressed air).

Or replaced with one with a stronger magnet, as mentioned above. Alternatively K&P Engineering do a washable filter which eventually saves $$ if you do a lot of miles.

And it has a very strong rare earth magnet incorporated into it. I am happy with mine.

:)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My initial thought was the same as Svensken's :eek:

Make sure you replace the gasket on that sump plate you took off since it doesn't look to be the o-ring type. The OEM one has a "liquid" gasket and you'll need to scrape off the old stuff and re-seal it, unless you get an aftermarket one like a TPO plate which uses an O-ring.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
That sump filter cover can be fitted with or without the gasket.

Just cleaned and a smear of gasket adhesive will do.

They're not very prone to leaking.

And for anyone having trouble getting the older-style Allen head screws undone - be sure to re-tighten the other three before attempting to loosen the reluctant one. It can help.

But they had very soft heads. Worth replacing with tapered-head titanium ones (then they don't hang down like the hex heads).

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would just add… invest in a good quality 5mm allen (maybe one that fits onto a 3/8ths drive ratchet). Breaking off a cheap allen wrench in that drain plug (or rounding it out) could ruin your day.

The other thing… you went online and looked for drain plug info…. AFTER removing the sump plate?

That's a teensy weensy bit funny :)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
This link has been posted before, but I'll do it again, seeing that it might come in handy in the future. If in doubt on any OEM parts or simply to see how things go together go here (click on your bike model): Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche - Ducati Parts

And you can order whatever you want from them too...great guys and place to buy stuff from!

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
That sump filter cover can be fitted with or without the gasket.

Just cleaned and a smear of gasket adhesive will do.

They're not very prone to leaking.

And for anyone having trouble getting the older-style Allen head screws undone - be sure to re-tighten the other three before attempting to loosen the reluctant one. It can help.

But they had very soft heads. Worth replacing with tapered-head titanium ones (then they don't hang down like the hex heads).

get one of these and solve three issues at once:

Billet Aluminum Oil Drain Plate Cover: S4RS / 848 / 1098 / 1198 / Streetfighter / Diavel / Monster 1200

* Comes with O ring seal for easy re-installing
* Quality tapered stainless steel allen screws for more clearance and less likely to strip out
* and nice billet cover that will take more abuse than the original cast piece

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How do you safety wire the sunken bolts on the billet aluminum oil cover?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
How do you safety wire the sunken bolts on the billet aluminum oil cover?
You don't. Torque them properly and they'll be fine. Plus there's 4 of them, chances that all 4 would come loose is pretty small. I never safety wired the stock bolts and never had any issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts