Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can go on google and yahoo to look reveiws on this bike but i wanna hear it from people who are on them day in day out and what they think and all the in's and outs's of it

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2010 696 and just added a 2010 848 a week and a half ago so I don't have a lot of seat time on it.
I have put a bit over 300 miles on it , 80 in one night and have to say I don't find it the least bit uncomfortable.
Well except for how hot the seat gets!!
I made a joke that is will be my winter bike.
In the short time I've ridden it I feel if I choose to do so I would have no problem commuting on it at all.

·
Banned
305 Posts
driven mine for 1900km(rain almost everyday this summer) and I got to say its not comfy at all for a guy my size 186cm.
you can counter whit a superpole seat,tank grips and better rear levels but in my eyes this should not be the case when buying a machine costing as much(Norway price around 38k$).
a gixxer1000 or bmw sr1000rr is much more comfy stock but they dont give you the ducati felling the 848evo is just a serious race machine all it wants is to ride hardcore and I am all for it just not my wrists and back,lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll have to second the uncomfy ride. The bike is amazing when you can use it to its potential. I take it to work and I have to deal with constant stop lights and traffic and its a total bitch. Plus I ride with a jacket and gloves etc and when you're sitting at a light in 90 degree weather and the bike is at 220 degrees under your crotch it sucks! The aggressive seating position really puts a stress on my wrists. I also have a superpole seat and all it does is raises you up higher and more forward so it doesn't help with comfort at all.

On the other hand, I'll take it out early on Sundays when it's still sorta cool and no ones around and I absolutely love the bike. Love the confidence it gives me, love the looks, the sound etc. I could go on all day about how much I adore this bike, but I adore it as a toy I use on occasion. I wouldn't use it as a daily commuter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've owned a lot of motorcycles and NEVER left one stock as far as the ergos go. Seriously, bikes are not "one size fits all". You have to experiment with peg height, bar height, seats, etc. I've got a 2001 848 EVO with Helibars, a Sargent seat, ride height adjuster and stock pegs. My local suspension guy has the bike tuned to a reasonably happy medium for comfortable street use with the occasional (4 - 6 times per year) track day thrown in. I can ride my Duc 250 - 300 miles a day with fewer aches and pains than I get when I'm on my HD Electra Glide. Yeah, it's THAT comfortable! But if I'd left it stock? Fuhgetaboutit!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a 2011 848 evo. I personally think it's the most comfortable bike I've owned. I have asv levers rizoma grips and bar ends. I love how skinny the tank is and you can just hug the crap out of it. Not like the new fat gsxrs. If your wrist hurts do a few sit ups and use your core more. I could easily ride with a passenger all day. And even on my Corbin seat on the gsxr 1000 I'd prefer the duc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey DenMan, I'm looking at a Sargent seat for my EVO. How do you find it?

As for daily commuting...not for me I'm afraid. Not because of the bike but because there are way to many freakin idiots on the road here in Seattle, especially up and down I-405 which is where I would have to ride it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey DenMan, I'm looking at a Sargent seat for my EVO. How do you find it?

As for daily commuting...not for me I'm afraid. Not because of the bike but because there are way to many freakin idiots on the road here in Seattle, especially up and down I-405 which is where I would have to ride it.
Not to mention people in Seattle do not know bikes exist and lane change w/o looking... I've almost been hit a few times because of text messaging or lane change w/o looking.

I personally think the 848 is not a good bike for city riding or anything low speeds. After all it is designed for high speed tracks. It is not the most comfortable bike... I'd bet a hypermotard is way better. I ride a supermotard and that is way more comfortable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I Have a 2010 Base and I love it. It is really hot on the Cheek and by the right calf tho. Keep your weight off your wrists and use your core more. Find the twisty was to work if possible and you will love the ride. I bought mine this year with 800 miles on it and I put on 2k in a little over 2 months. My work is 12 miles away one way!!!!!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I personally think the 848 is not a good bike for city riding or anything low speeds.
I'd bet a hypermotard is way better.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey velox, Tell me about (sorry folks, just going a bit off track here). The other weekend, riding back home on I-5 just joining I-90E, caught in a traffic jam. Pulled up next to this stupid bitch in a BMW who had her dog on her lap AND was texting at the same time. I beeped her and yelled at her to put her [email protected]#@%* phone down. She looked bit shocked and stopped texting so, had the desired result. I intend to do this more often now. When will these F#[email protected] wake up. If I was a cop, I would make it my goal to book as many of these idiots as possible. Sorry, soapbox away...carry on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've done close to 4250 km in about three months, the first 2500 km within four weeks.

Here's my judgement:

I'm 175 cm and I've got absolutely no problems whatsoever with the comfort. Some daily trips have reached almost 500 km, and yeah, that's been tiring - but mostly because of what the roads demand of you - not because of the bike. It's like working out, riding on twisty roads.

Honestly, I feel that this is one of the comfiest sport bikes out there. No pressure on the wrists - as some of the other guys already have said: use your core and thighs.

All I've done with the bike is softening the suspension a tad and adjusted the low rpm's so it doesn't shake like a tractor. Oh, and a set of Termi's are keeping me company as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 2011 Evo and have ridden about 3500Kms , I would agree to most of you that it’s not that comfortable, the seat is a brick and I still need to adjust the rear as per my weight, all said, I love it and it’s a great weekend toy……

·
Registered
333 Posts
I bought my 2011 EVO a few months back just before winter/fall - Here i ride it every day to work when the weather permits, been caught a couple of times in the rain but nothing to hectic.

Overall i love it, 184cm lanky guy, ride 40km round trip to work each day and its just fun "Ok its not the most comfy bike but GEE, its a Superbike not a harley!

On the weekend did a 200km mountain run on weekend was enjoyable sun and great roads, but in the end it was good to have a rest in warm home

Go on JUST GET ONE!!! I DID =)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey velox, Tell me about (sorry folks, just going a bit off track here). The other weekend, riding back home on I-5 just joining I-90E, caught in a traffic jam. Pulled up next to this stupid bitch in a BMW who had her dog on her lap AND was texting at the same time. I beeped her and yelled at her to put her [email protected]#@%* phone down. She looked bit shocked and stopped texting so, had the desired result. I intend to do this more often now. When will these F#[email protected] wake up. If I was a cop, I would make it my goal to book as many of these idiots as possible. Sorry, soapbox away...carry on.
I think I will adopt that attitude as well and maybe purposely get into a few traffic jams to exercise this ill feelings for such retards! Bravo!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Comfort on my 848 is a pain in the buttocks as well. I attribute this the lack of cushion in the stock seat. I've ordered a Sargent and until then I use padded biking shorts to help.

When I bought it I immedialty felt the rear was far too stiff and confirmed this when I couldn't get my sag numbers. Since then I've had the spring swapped out for one more suitiable to my weight, 128 lbs(58kgs).

That change, along with a 14 tooth front sproket, made the whole bike much more resposive and rideable. It truly feels like a superbike now.

Wrist pressure and hand strain can be worked on by focusing on your core as said before, and trying a more cushioned grip. I have had great results with ProGrips. I should add I'm 5'9'' (175cm)

It gets hot on the right side from the exhaust and I'm. currently working on a fix.

I felt the stock pegs were far to slippery and changed them out with some ones I handmade. Mine are similar to LSL pegs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts