Ducati.org forum banner

848 instrument panel

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  davelack.za 
#1 ·
Hi guys please help me out here, The instrument panel of my 848 is badly damaged and the bike wont start, Should I replace only the instrument panel or the ecu also.

#2 ·
The ecu is not tied to the dash. If your ecu is ok, I would assume a replacement of the instrument panel should suffice. I have a used instrument panel and matching key for sale. The clear protector lens is cracked but otherwise works fine. You could swap your clear plastic lens or leave it as is.

However, your instrument attenae located beneath the key guard may very well be damaged as well. That would prevent you from starting your bike too

#6 ·
I had to replace my LCD Instrument Panel as well --- warranty condensation problem.

ECU is unrelated the LCD Panel.

Be aware. The new LCD Panel will come in with Zero Miles so record your mileage the best you can before replacement. Also, the "Service" reminders will start over again as well so you'll need to keep two sets of books to keep track of major maint. cycles.

#7 ·
I had to replace my instrument panel at 18,000K as dropped it and broke it while doing some mods to the bike. The instrument cluster stores your mileage and info so the closest I could get in mileage when I replaced it was 6000K. My mileage is now out by 12,000K. Apparently no one who bought an 848 in 2008 put 18,000K on it in the first season and crashed it.

#9 ·
I know this was 9 years ago but hoping you are still around. I need to replace my 848 dash/instrument panel. Have been told I need the whole shebang: Keys, ECU, Ignition, filler and seat lock set. Were you able to just replace the dash or do you need an ECU? Was any reprogramming required?

#10 ·
Hi,

My instrument cluster was damaged by water (long story). I purchased a second-hand one as well as the accompanying lockset. When it was fitted the cluster was flashing which I thought was because of a low battery (the bike stood unused for over 6 months). Took it for a ride and the cluster stopped flashing and remained on ... then poof!
All the electricals died. I am told now that the replacement cluster is causing the system to short as it is now blowing the fuse to the instrument panel.

Having spent a small fortune getting the replacement part I would prefer to try and have the cluster rebuilt rather than buy yet another one.

Can this be done and is it worth it?
Can the cluster be coded to change the key that is linked to it (or the key coded to the cluster?)

I live in Qatar and no-one seems to know about these things.