Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am Ravi, nice to meet you all. My 2008 848 issue!

I took my 2008 848 out first time this season, after few miles when i accelerate its not moving, RPM goes up like in IDLE but not moving at all. So came home with low speeds.

I took out yesterday, after mile same issue, so no matter what gear i put in, it wont go more than 15 MPH. Gear shifts fine but not moving more than 15 MPH.

I check all fuels and they are fine. Can you guys please help to diagnose the problem. I am thinking couple of things

1) Clutch plates - replace? Clutch release fine, gear shifts fine
2) Air filter - can dirty air filter can cause this?
3) i have kept the tank full of gas from last season, should i empty and refuel , does this helps?
3)spark plugs issues?

Please Please help me! Thank you and appreciate it

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ravi.

It's probably a simple hydraulic issue. Usually these are generated by an aftermarket clutch lever not being setup properly and it pushing just a tiny bit on the master cylinder, engaging the hydraulics ever so slightly. Over the course of a few months, this causes substantial clutch plate wear and eventually a failure like this. With that said, it could very well be simply plates worn out on their own. Since we don't know the mileage on the bike, it's hard to identify if they're simply past their life span.

Mikes suggestion of messing with the hydraulics is great for the opposite problem; clutch disengaging. In this particular case where the clutch is disengaged all the time, the hydraulics are clearly working properly since it shifts fine.

Reactions: getthat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's probably a simple hydraulic issue. Usually these are generated by an aftermarket clutch lever not being setup properly and it pushing just a tiny bit on the master cylinder, engaging the hydraulics ever so slightly. Over the course of a few months, this causes substantial clutch plate wear and eventually a failure like this. With that said, it could very well be simply plates worn out on their own. Since we don't know the mileage on the bike, it's hard to identify if they're simply past their life span.

Mikes suggestion of messing with the hydraulics is great for the opposite problem; clutch disengaging. In this particular case where the clutch is disengaged all the time, the hydraulics are clearly working properly since it shifts fine.
Thank You for the response, i have around 6,700 miles on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think you have made a good point, i have around 6700 miles on this. Thank you for your response

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thank You for the response, i have around 6,700 miles on it
Then the clutch didn't wear out on its own, so you can scratch that off your list. ;)

If you do have an aftermarket clutch lever, focus on that first.

Otherwise, if everything is OEM… then there is one more possibility; loose chain tension and a destroyed rear sprocket. It's much more rare, but absolutely happens unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then the clutch didn't wear out on its own, so you can scratch that off your list. ;)

If you do have an aftermarket clutch lever, focus on that first.

Otherwise, if everything is OEM… then there is one more possibility; loose chain tension and a destroyed rear sprocket. It's much more rare, but absolutely happens unfortunately. :(
Got It, will try today and update you guys. Appreciate all the responses, Thank You

1 - 8 of 8 Posts