Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out to the garage after my bike was running for about 15 minutes to see a puddle of blue fluid directly under my bike. Upon further discovery i find a small rubber hose that has come disconnected and hanging directly below the headers. Can anyone tell me what this fluid is and where the hose needs to be attached??

·
Court Jester
11,926 Posts
I came out to the garage after my bike was running for about 15 minutes to see a puddle of blue fluid directly under my bike. Upon further discovery i find a small rubber hose that has come disconnected and hanging directly below the headers. Can anyone tell me what this fluid is and where the hose needs to be attached??
coolant not sure the small hoses are the problem they should be the overflow hoses but the source of the leak might be somewhere else. You need to pull the side fairing off and find the source. If it's overflow it's doing what it is suppose to do because the coolant was filled up too much, but you could have a lose hose clamp somewhere.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Looks like that damn Y-joint's clamp got loosened.

Look at the bike on your left side (fairings off, of course), trace the coolant hose to where it meets the Y-joint

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ok, am I the only one having problem with these types of posts.....?

OPs first ever post on this forum is to ask some bizarre question about blue fluid leaking from his tube thingy.... How many of you fix your bike based solely on info from a forum with little context and no previous interaction?

Smells like bullshit....

·
Court Jester
11,926 Posts
Ok, am I the only one having problem with these types of posts.....?

OPs first ever post on this forum is to ask some bizarre question about blue fluid leaking from his tube thingy.... How many of you fix your bike based solely on info from a forum with little context and no previous interaction?

Smells like bullshit....

I don't think it's Bs, I think it's some that's purchased a Ducati and didn't know what they were / are getting into. The question is will these guys become participating members or will they just ride off into the sunset.

I just can't fathom foul play in a question like this, to what end???

·
Court Jester
11,926 Posts
I'll add if this forum had some formal moderation we wouldn't get these repeat questions.. Where is the introduce yourself thread????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys! As for introductory I'm new to Ducati and this forum but I've been riding a long time and always done all of my own repair work until I bought my 848 so I was just looking to people who had more experience with Ducs than myself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Aturn3

If you want rapid accurate answers follow these steps-
Provide the following:
How long have you owned the bike
year, model, previous repairs etc
Do you have any mechanical experience
Describe condition- when noticed, riding time, aprox temp
Take pictures of relevant area typically with a pointer at the area of focus (a pencil will do)
Take better pictures with fairings removed if applicable
Post said pictures

Let the info flow in.
Within your first few entries you will be able to begin to discern fact from bs, as well as see which personalities like to flare up on the site. (I recommend eating popcorn and lightly fanning the flames)

As far as this problem- any diag is hearsay at best with the info provided.

There are a couple small (about 8mm) tubes hanging down bay the belly fairing. they are for the charcoal canister and the coolant overflow. The stock coolant is blue, but so are some race fuels as well as some brake fluids. Oil may look blueish depending on the surface it has fallen on. I recommend taking a piece of white paper, preferably with a waxed or plastic coating, and putting a few drops on it so the fluid color and consistency show up well for photos.

With the fairings off, it is easier to trace where the fluid rand down from and you can follow it back to it's source. Sometimes a drip may run down the outside of these vent hoses as the faulty area may be dripping onto it.

Take a picture of what you believe may be the source.

From there you can get the best recommendations for further diagnosis and repair.

Coolant tends to leave a white residue when it drips over hot components. on a slow leak you will see the white chunky crust at the source of the leak.

Given your brief synopsis here are some diagnostic paths to follow- it is most likely a coolant leak so I will stay within that realm.
If it is coming from within the coolant overflow vent, it could be an overfilled system (if it has been serviced recently this could be the issue), or it could be a failing radiator cap, or less likely another internal engine fault resulting in coolant system overpresure.

There are a number of other hoses that can be the source of the leakage. typically hoses tend to dry and shrink a bit over time and tightening the clamps at the connections slightly can hold off symptoms. If the bike is older than 5 years, or you live and ride in a very hot climate, it is typically a sign that you may want to invest in new hoses (preferably silicone).

Leaks from the casing at the sides and bottom of the radiator are not uncommon in these bikes, regardless of if it was before or after the recalled dates.

Leaks at the engine casing are more rare and can be quite costly, especially if not rectified quickly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Aturn3

If you want rapid accurate answers follow these steps-
Provide the following:
How long have you owned the bike
year, model, previous repairs etc
Do you have any mechanical experience
Describe condition- when noticed, riding time, aprox temp
Take pictures of relevant area typically with a pointer at the area of focus (a pencil will do)
Take better pictures with fairings removed if applicable
Post said pictures

Let the info flow in.
Within your first few entries you will be able to begin to discern fact from bs, as well as see which personalities like to flare up on the site. (I recommend eating popcorn and lightly fanning the flames)

As far as this problem- any diag is hearsay at best with the info provided.

There are a couple small (about 8mm) tubes hanging down bay the belly fairing. they are for the charcoal canister and the coolant overflow. The stock coolant is blue, but so are some race fuels as well as some brake fluids. Oil may look blueish depending on the surface it has fallen on. I recommend taking a piece of white paper, preferably with a waxed or plastic coating, and putting a few drops on it so the fluid color and consistency show up well for photos.

With the fairings off, it is easier to trace where the fluid rand down from and you can follow it back to it's source. Sometimes a drip may run down the outside of these vent hoses as the faulty area may be dripping onto it.

Take a picture of what you believe may be the source.

From there you can get the best recommendations for further diagnosis and repair.

Good luck.
THIS for sticky pls.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wonder if he had the famous radiator fail.... I Had to get a new one after 11,000 mi, the vibration of the twin makes the bracket come apart from the radiator on the left hand side. -.-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts