Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 848 I normally ride it year around and it's been treating me well though the years. I had a son a few months back and it's been sitting in a friends garage ever since.
The friend mentioned a couple months ago that the bike appeared to be leaking oil. I didn't have time to really fix anything, so I just put something under it to capture the fluid until I had time to trouble shoot.
Well I finally traced the fluid source, and it looks like it's actually coming from the fuel tank.
1 - its been leaking in a garage, and there's no gas smell.
2 - there is a strange deposit around the leak site that I wouldn't expect from a fuel leak.

I did get a new tank put on under warranty about a year ago, is it possible there was a seal issue that just didn't surface until it sat for a while?
Any thoughts on the deposits?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
It looks like a stalagmite you'd find in cave somewhere!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalagmite

I would pull the tank and check the seal. It should have a light coat of grease or vasoline upon reinstallation. Maybe they forgot this and it dried out completely and started leaking. It's a fairly easy job if you're comfortable working on your bike. I've got a video over on my youtube channel that shows you how to remove the tank and the fuel pump...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the long delay. It's been a busy few months. FYI It turned out there was a small hole that went from the inside of the tank into one of the bolt holes that allowed a small fuel leak. I'm guessing the stalactite was just from deposites it picked up along the way. Some extra thread lock and a re-torquing of the flange appears to have fixed the problem for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.