Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n gals,

after my dream bike (a 999s, the most beautiful bike ever built by ducati imho) turned out to be a piece of sh*t (I had massive overheating issues - it actually burnt my calves through my jeans without me even touching anything) I'm thinking about getting a new 848 instead (which has the added benefit of not having to trust any Thai selling a second hand bike). However, that bike is definitely too high for me (I'm only 5'7"). I'd like to lower the seat 5-7 centimeters (2-3 inches) without affecting the handling, but from what I've read so far that's not an easy task/impossible. Apart from shaving the seat, I've wondered whether it's possible to lower the whole tail section as there doesn't seem to be much under there. Is that possible? If so, how much lower do you think I could get the seat with that? Any other suggestions on how to get the seat height down? Thanks in advance!

Marco

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't think it's fair to say a 999s is a piece of sh*t at all, it's clearly not.

Only things i can think of to change the height would be to get a shorter spring and change the suspension link to an adjustable one. And you will be ruining the geometry and handling of the bike without a doubt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, it wasn't fair and I apologize. It's just that the 999 has been my absolute dream bike ever since it came to the market. It still frustrates me a lot that this particular 999 turned out to be such a disappointment. Apart from the overheating issue (temperature went up to 119 degrees celsius / 246 fahrenheit) the gearbox seemed to have problems and the engine bucked like crazy sub 3.500 revs. I doubt that's normal. When I returned that bike to the seller I very nearly wanted to cry because my dream was shattered...

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am 5'8" and I have the superpole seat on my bike, which raises the seat at least 1" if not more, I still touch the ground with both feet, not flat but enough to be stable. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm 5'7", Sargent seat, and touch the ground with both feet...but like techt said, not flat. I'll say most of the balls of both feet are touching. But when stopped or on a good incline, I lean to one side anyway with one foot flat on the ground. You can do it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh, really? Do you have extra long legs? The 999 seemed ok seat height-wise but is a full 2" lower than the 848. Even on the 999 I couldn't put both feet flat on the ground. I've fallen over on a bike before and don't ever need that to happen again (that was on a ninja 650R which has a seat height of just 31,1" but also a quite wide seat)... Maybe I should sit on a 848 first and see how it feels. Would it be possible to gain say half an inch by adjusting the suspension? Combined with a shaved seat that might lower the bike by an inch and a half which should be enough... Anyways, thanks for lifting my spirits, I might be able to ride this bike after all :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@smooth_caramel: Is that seat thinner than the original? Which aftermarket seat is the thinnest? Again, thanks for lifting my spirits!

·
Court Jester
12,066 Posts
The 848 has a stiff suspension, softening the rear shock will def. help.
6'1 and fat I soften it every time I get on it ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Duc_chaiangmai. I have an 848 in Bangkok. Was the 999 a legit bike with green book, plate and proven service history?
I raised the rear of my 848 with an aftermarket height adjuster. I'm sure you could lower it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Rustic Charm: No, it didn't have a green book (and thus no plate). No proven service history either. The excise tax was paid though and there is a shop here in Chiang Mai that could've gotten a legit green book for it within 3 months (for a cool 80-100k baht). The bike _looked_ like it was in absolutely perfect condition. Too bad it wasn't. Since you ride your bike in the same hot weather, may I ask how it handles the heat? Like I mentioned before, that 999s got _extremely_ hot within 5 minutes of riding it. I couldn't believe it actually burned my legs through the jeans. Surely that's not normal for a 999 (or any Ducati superbike)? I wouldn't want to put on proper gear every time I take it for a short ride through the city....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't worry man I wasn't having a go at you, was just saying the 999 in general isnt a bad bike, just maybe your one which happened to be a lemon which is a massive shame.
These bikes aren't really meant to be ridden in the city at slow pace as they will get very hot, especially in a hot climate like thailand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
@smooth_caramel: Is that seat thinner than the original? Which aftermarket seat is the thinnest? Again, thanks for lifting my spirits!
I'm not sure, I didn't really keep the stock seat on long enough. I think the thickest part of the Sargent seat (right at the front of the seat near the back of the tank) might have been thicker than the stock. The stock seat feels like it's pushing you forward on an incline into the tank and the sargent smoothed it back out a little.

I'm a gal, so I don't know how the boys can stand the tank smushing their nads all day sitting on the stock seat. I'd definitely recommend an aftermarket seat, or cut it and replace it with gell. If you have any suspension shops nearby, you can get the ride height adjuster worked out pretty well. The rear is definitely stiff and the front soft, but those can be later mods.

Oh, and I don't think my legs are any longer than average...but that's compared to other women.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Sub-3500 rpm on any Duc is going to buck and snort like a rodeo bull... that's just the nature of a high-strung V-twin. My 848 is the same way. I agree with you about the cooling issue though, 246F is way too high. I'm betting you can find another 999 that was better maintained if that's what you really want. They're a great ride but the styling isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
900 Posts
5'7" and the rear ride height is higer than stock, and no trouble riding my 848 EVO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sub-3500 rpm on any Duc is going to buck and snort like a rodeo bull... that's just the nature of a high-strung V-twin. My 848 is the same way. I agree with you about the cooling issue though, 246F is way too high. I'm betting you can find another 999 that was better maintained if that's what you really want. They're a great ride but the styling isn't for everyone.
Are they really all that rough? That'll take some time getting used to it - I've only ridden jap bikes before and they're quite smooth even at low rpm. About the 999 styling - while the 848 looks ok I think the 749/999 is a much more beautiful bike, second only to a mv agusta F4 maybe. That's just my personal opinion of course. However, 999s are really hard to find here and importing a second hand bike into Thailand is a nightmare (and very expensive too).

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm 5'7" also and it's fine riding my 848.
You lower the tail will affect handling if you're hitting the twisties or tracks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
5'6 on corbin seats here. I tip toe. You may just have to get comfortable/use to it to maintain optimum bike geometry..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got an quote from a dealer
Lowering Link - $187.99 ( lowers rear suspension 3/4 of an inch)
Installation - $165.00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That price seems ok (especially compared to what big bikes cost here in Thailand - there's an 80% import tax so a new 848 costs about $33k here). What about lowering the front, can that be done just by adjusting the forks?
I just found out that you can get MV Agustas in Thailand now as well. That F3 sure looks sexy as hell (and probably doesn't "buck and snort like a rodeo bull" like a duc). Oh the choices.... ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts