Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to throw my new shock with DK linear link in on my 848 but am concerned about the tightness of the heim joint in the top eyelet of the shock. The old polymer joint in the stock shock moves freely in its socket but the new one on the Ohlins is extremely tight. As in I can only get it to move after attaching it to the link and using heavy leverage force to budge it. This is a pivot point and it seems so tight I worry it's not just a break in kind of thing.

Thoughts? Is this normal? Might I need to drift the joint out and grease it ( though it doesn't look like an intentionally grease-able joint)? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
When tightened down, the shock should move freely. Maybe give it a yank and wiggle, just to loosen it up?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
before you throw the shock in, make sure it isnt affected by their recall.

I have never seen a heim that didnt move freely (of course some resistance), I would contact whom you bought it from and have them confirm

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
It is a new TTX shock...did you buy it from Kyle Racing? if so call Dan and express your concern...before attempting to install or modify...

Gunther's point is also well suggested, as Ohlins does have a recall going on, you can research the website, enter the Serial Number of you unit and the site will respond to your entry in about 1 sec.
Very cool!!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The Öhlins recall is an internal issue, not external. There was a problem with assembly that could cause parts to unscrew and come apart inside the shock. The Heim joint has nothing to do with the recall.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The Öhlins recall is an internal issue, not external. There was a problem with assembly that could cause parts to unscrew and come apart inside the shock. The Heim joint has nothing to do with the recall.

Still a good idea to check. Don't waste time/money/effort on the heim joint if the shock has a known issue

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Still a good idea to check. Don't waste time/money/effort on the heim joint if the shock has a known issue
I agree.. always check the recall.... why install the shock, only to un-install and send it off to Ohlins for warranty work??? Unless you just want to keep busy.... just sayin...

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Yeah, A-Bob, I always go for the "yank and wiggle",...especially when,.......then I go for Sledge.....!!!....just agree-in......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely not a yank and a wiggle deal. I bought the link and shock package from DK and will give him a call.

The DU3034 is not a part of the recall as far as I can tell. That tool says part number not recognized when I put it in and it's not in the lists I've seen posted on other sites. My new steering damper, however, is. Or rather the bracket is so I've sent away for that.

Between business travel and all the crap I need to do to the bike I'm going to be lucky to be riding by July at this rate...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I work on bikes every week, problems pop up like this constantly with new products. If you just wiggle and yank on the end of the shock it will go "pop" and the heim joint will start to work properly.

There is no other real solution outside of sending the shock back and telling them it's broken.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
BDC848;8 00381 said:
Defini not
a yank and a w igg le deal. I bought the link and shock package from DK and will give him a call.

The DU3034 is not a part of the recall as far as I can tell. That tool says part number not recognized when I put it in and it's not in the lists I've seen posted on other sites. My new steering damper, however, is. Or rather the bracket is so I've sent away for that.

Between business travel and all the crap I need to do to the bike I'm going to be lucky to be riding by July at this rate...
be sure and tell Dan about the "Yank and Wiggle" suggestion, he will
Get a kick out of that....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
be sure and tell Dan about the "Yank and Wiggle" suggestion, he will
Get a kick out of that....
At least it's a solution to the problem. Sending the shock back for service is not a solution as it's already brand new.

So what is your solution besides calling Dan Kyle and relying on him to solve the problem from miles away?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Well, Tyler Purcell, if i bought some parts from Dan, which I have, and I had concerns, I would contact him personally, phone, text, or email, then depending on his response, we would work it out...as we have done in the past...just common business stuff .... I certainly would not be yanking and wiggling his stuff before chatting with Dan. But it is obvious you have a different agenda, what that is, I haven't a clue... and could really care less.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well, Tyler Purcell, if i bought some parts from Dan, which I have, and I had concerns, I would contact him personally, phone, text, or email, then depending on his response, we would work it out...as we have done in the past...just common business stuff .... I certainly would not be yanking and wiggling his stuff before chatting with Dan. But it is obvious you have a different agenda, what that is, I haven't a clue... and could really care less.
My agenda is to help people get past little hurtles like this without wasting time. Calling, texting, e-mailing Dan isn't going to help anything because he's not touching the bike. He has no idea what's wrong and will suggest probably the same course of action, which is the heim joint is probably locked in place and needs to be set free by wiggling it. You can'd do that on the bench, it's a lot easier to do it on the bike.

There isn't anything else it could be... its not rocket science.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Yeah, yeah, we all know about your "help"....
Btw...I have always found Dan to be very happy and accommodating
In regards to his products and information...
Always....

Reactions: randomtask

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The DU3034 is not a part of the recall as far as I can tell. That tool says part number not recognized when I put it in and it's not in the lists I've seen posted on other sites. My new steering damper, however, is. Or rather the bracket is so I've sent away for that. .

I would double check. My TTX GP I knew WAS affected by the recall but when I initially put in the part number it said the same thing. Try putting in just the first 3 numbers ie "DU 303." It should tell you your shock is "not affected" versus not recognized.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I would double check. My TTX GP I knew WAS affected by the recall but when I initially put in the part number it said the same thing. Try putting in just the first 3 numbers ie "DU 303." It should tell you your shock is "not affected" versus not recognized.

I had the same issue
..and used the same three digit solution!#!
That's cool...good job random gr8 minds think alike
..just sayin :)
Btw I was unsure of whether to post the solution!!! Lol!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe I have the same shock, purchased around November 2014 from Dan Kyle, as the OP.

I checked with Dan, about a week ago, to see if it was affected by the recall. Dan assured me it was not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.