Ducati.org forum banner

848 Power Issue. Help me out!

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  tye1138 
#1 ·
So I am trying to diagnosis an issue with my girls 848.

I turn the key and nothing happens. Dash is dark, no power at all, no fuel pump prime, etc...

I have checked the battery, replaced it with a new Shorai battery, showing 13.2 volts.

I checked/ replaced the voltage regulator.

I checked/ replaced all fuses including the 10A key on fuse.

Still nothing. I do have a burn connection coming off the alternator connector to the rectifier. Could that be my issue?

Im out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks fellas!

#2 ·
Shit! This is a bit of a new one Wa11er.

Clearly the power is not getting through to the rest of the circuit, so going along the loom with a multimeter, starting at the battery (looking for 12V) is a starting point.

The burnt wire you noticed on the alternator wiring may be indicative of a problem, and worth investigating further, but shouldn't prevent the power of the battery getting to the ignition switch and beyond.

The ignition switch itself has to be a suspect, and checking for continuity either side of it is worth a look. That is the one item which will allow (or not allow!) power to both the ignition/fuel and the dashboard.

Were there any warning signs of a problem before this happened, or did it simply not switch on one morning?

I guess there is some urgency on this one, if she's riding around on your 1198 in the meantime!

:D

#3 ·
It initially gave signs of a voltage regulator going out. Dash flickering, BATT 5.2 code, etc, so I had her take it apart to learn how to work on her bike (first mistake), second mistake was i didnt watch what she did when taking it apart, and now it wont turn on. I went back over everything, and it is all hooked up correctly, now im trying to figure out what she may have done.

I will trace power tomorrow and check the ignition switch. Hopefully I can track down the issue.

Thanks for your help!

She is just going without riding. :). Im enjoying every second I can on Ysabella before winter hits here in Colorado. :yo:

#6 ·
Oh man. Sounds like you both had lessons that day Waller I could only imagine my wife trying to fix my bike. Hope you get it sorted out. Pat1098 winter won't be fun?!?! I try and make it out to Colorado once a winter to snowboard. Going to Breckenridge in January and I can't wait.

#7 ·
It's possible that if you had one burnt wire, you may have had a few brittle ones also and taking things apart has broken that wire internally so no juice to things. As Pat has suggested, you're going to have to get the meter out and find where the break is.

#9 ·
Well I feel like an idiot. I checked all the fuses...except the 30amp main fuse....replaced it and everything appears to be working.

Im about to take it out for a test ride to insure nothing else is wrong, then button her back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.