Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna make this short. I bought a 848 and it ran fine for a few weeks, then after letting it sit for a few weeks dead. I then replaced the battery and drove it for 3 more days before letting it sit for 2 weeks again.

Now the problem is the bike is dead and when I tried jumping it it starts but after removing the cables it instantly dies. What could it be, Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Invest in a battery tender .. especially if the bike sits without use for a while.

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
Invest in a battery tender .. especially if the bike sits without use for a while.
While a tender is not a bad idea, this can't not be the problem. Mine has sat for 2 month no tender and fires up fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just left the battery on charge overnight on a battery tender but that didn't work.:ahhh:

Does anyone know where the regulator is located?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Can I ask a silly question? When you say the bike doesn't work… WHAT doesn't work?

- Does the dash light up?
- Do the headlights light up?
- Can you look at the voltage gauge on the dash and tell us what it says?
- Is there NOTHING on the screen or any signs of life when you click the ignition switch?

I agree its most likely a voltage regulator.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
While a tender is not a bad idea, this can't not be the problem. Mine has sat for 2 month no tender and fires up fine.
Thank you for your post, but I wasn't speaking to you. Very happy that your bike can sit for 2 months and start up fine.

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
Thank you for your post, but I wasn't speaking to you. Very happy that your bike can sit for 2 months and start up fine.
Nor I was you... Geeze :stickpoke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I just took the battery to Autozone and told them to charge it fully and they said it'll be ready by tmrw. As for the tender thing I think my battery tender wasn't working cause after a whole night the bike didn't start. I will take pics tmrw and post them in the morning. Umm you're question isn't silly, by dead I meant that it doesn't turn on period, the same as if there is no battery in it. No lights, no ignition, no dash, nothing. Btw thanks TChase for that!:D It'll help me at least located the Voltage Regulator wherever that is! lol. I also see a blown 3AMP fuse any clue what that's for?

I'll take pics in the morning of the bike and keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect your battery is bad. Replace with another brand new battery. It should start-up just fine. If the bike sits in the garage for some time and the bike has issue with starting up again, then your rectifier might be bad.

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
I also see a blown 3AMP fuse any clue what that's for?
Depends on where it is located 'cause mine doesn't have any 3amp fuses. ^^

2)

Regulator 30 A

1)

Key on 10 A
Lights 15 A
Device 15 A
Instrument panel 5 A
Injection 20 A
Engine Electronic Control Unit 5 A
Fans 7.5 A

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Don't get so butt-hurt, Proctologist. Oh wait...

Haha just kidding babe, couldn't -obviously- resist. :)

I agree to try a new battery first. These voltage regulators fail because of excessive heat exposure; it's unlikely it failed just sitting there sans heat and current.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Don't get so butt-hurt, Proctologist. Oh wait...

Haha just kidding babe, couldn't -obviously- resist. :)
Wasn't butt hurt, please mind your business Joeii.

Nor I was you... Geeze :stickpoke
Yes you were, see post #5. Read before posting.

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
Wasn't butt hurt, please mind your business Joeii.

Yes you were, see post #5. Read before posting.
Agree to disagree but if you need a win take it.

Reactions: Zyklon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone!!! I was :blind: and now I've been guided. So Autozone finally gave me the back the battery with a full charge and after installing it back in, it came back to life :D I really thought it was the Regulator/Rectifier cause after I removed the jumper cables I thought that like a car the bike should have held the charge and stayed on once started but that wasn't the case.

CONCLUSION:
A bike is not a car.
Sometimes the problem is the most obvious one.
There are still some good people on this planet.
Help others and others will help you.

Next step: Get a motorcycle license :loser: lol

(I'm still going to ride without one till then)

I threw my car pic in there also just for the hell of it.

20140802_160006[1].jpg

20140730_190256[2].jpg

1010702_10201482806137284_163270710_n.jpg

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Actually, the charging system absolutely can keep the bike running if the battery is anywhere near OK.

So you aren't out of the water yet. Give it a week or two and I bet it fails again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hate to say it but I have to agree with tye.... Now that you have a full charge the bike is probably just working like a total loss system... Once battery gets drained. Problem will return....

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
You might also have a short draining it while it sits. As mentioned before you could get a tender/charger and that would help, not sure it will solve the problem.

Just a little advice in my state if you get pulled over without your endorsement they impound your bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts